Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th December 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
innermountain

Default Home And Landing Pages Either/Or In Results?

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. My website has a landing page that is very well optimized, but not as well as our home page. Either one or the other shows up on certain keywords, and the one that doesn't show up is usually WAY back in the results or not there at all. Do you know if Google blocks or de-prioritizes additional pages on the same website if one of the pages shows up high in the results (for us #1, 2 or 3 on first page)? One time I did a search and our home page and landing page were #1 and #2 on the first page, but that was quickly changed and our home page doesn't show up at all now.

Any input is highly welcomed. Thanks!

innermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th December 2011, 01:22 PM   #2
snellexperts

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermountain View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. My website has a landing page that is very well optimized, but not as well as our home page. Either one or the other shows up on certain keywords, and the one that doesn't show up is usually WAY back in the results or not there at all. Do you know if Google blocks or de-prioritizes additional pages on the same website if one of the pages shows up high in the results (for us #1, 2 or 3 on first page)? One time I did a search and our home page and landing page were #1 and #2 on the first page, but that was quickly changed and our home page doesn't show up at all now.

Any input is highly welcomed. Thanks!
Can you provide a bit more information about the 2 pages that you have listed. It is certainly possible that Google blocked one or both of your pages, but its hard to be sure without more information.

snellexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
innermountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellexperts View Post
Can you provide a bit more information about the 2 pages that you have listed. It is certainly possible that Google blocked one or both of your pages, but its hard to be sure without more information.
They both show up with certain keyword phrases, so neither has been blocked. The reason I'm asking is this - the landing page shows up really, really well with certain searches, and the homepage is optimized for those too. Could it be possible that my landing page is #1 on the first page and my homepage is nowhere in the results? If I deleted my landing page - which I wouldn't do obviously - would my homepage then show up well in the searches?

Old 26th December 2011, 09:46 PM   #4
daveb1
VIP Contributor

Hi Inner,

Lots of intricate testing would have to be done on each site and without the domains (key words etc.) it will most likely be pretty hard for anyone to answer your questions. Historically have both pages been optimized identically? If you do not think Google has blocked anything then most likely Google has pinpointed something on one of the pages or about one of the pages it finds more appealing. What can you think of that you have done different between the 2 pages? Have you gone through and compared all the backlinks between the two pages? There will be lots of little things to check like this if you ultimately want to get to the bottom of the puzzle. The content is different on both pages I will assume as well.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 07:11 AM   #5
SanWay
VIP Contributor

Hi, the most important thing that you should understanв is that your home page doesnt need to be the landing page in your SEO company. In most cases it is but iа you want to advert your specific product then make it the landing page!

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 08:28 AM   #6
innermountain

Thanks for the input! I did more research on my own, and I think Google has as part of its logarithm a variable that moves additional search results for landing pages on the same domain backward after one has shown up. I think it only applies to phrases that are searched for fairly often. I could be way off of course, but that's what it looks like. In other words, it's impossible for one domain have the #1 and #2 spots for reasonably popular search phrases. It makes sense really.

And your responses have reminded me how important it is to build the popularity of my landing pages. That's a lot of link building! Thanks again.

Old 27th December 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Since you say they're optimized for some of the same search terms, do the two pages have substantially similar content? The pages don't have to be exact clones of each other for duplicate content filters to kick in. For instance, are there blocks of content related to these search terms that are similar?

What I have heard reported is that if Google judges two pages to contain duplicate content, they will only show one in the results.

However, if the content on the two pages is totally different (just focused on the same search phrase), they can both show up on the same page of search results.

--Torka

Old 27th December 2011, 03:25 PM   #8
innermountain

The two pages have completely different content, so in this case I don't think that is affecting it. I didn't know, though, that even similar content will be treated that way. Thanks for the input!

Old 27th December 2011, 06:45 PM   #9
snellexperts

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermountain View Post
Could it be possible that my landing page is #1 on the first page and my homepage is nowhere in the results? If I deleted my landing page - which I wouldn't do obviously - would my homepage then show up well in the searches?
I'm not an Seo guru by any stretch, but from what I understand I would think that the landing page could potentially beat out the home page in positioning, but wouldn't prevent the home page from showing up. So if its not showing up, removing the lander page wouldn't make it appear in its place, at least I wouldn't think.

snellexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Vici0usX

This doesnt happen to me at all. I have atleast 5-10 pages in #1 on google for certain keywords. I wouldnt try to optimize two different pages for the same keyword thou. My pages are target specific keywords on each page.. for example..

Roms for Android
Snes Roms for Android

If your saying your trying to optimize both pages for the same keyword such as:

Used Ford Cars (Page 1)
Used Ford Cars (Page 2)

One or the other will probably not show up.

Vici0usX is offline   Reply With Quote