Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd April 2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Carsten68

Default Idea - Online Food Delivery Service

Hello all together,

I`m thinking about a website where you can choose, select and order food from typical restaurants in your city in a covenient manner. Especially from restaurants which usually don`t offer delivery (only take-out). Those restaurants could be the one you usually go out for dinner, but sometimes you don`t like to go out to the restaurant, but you like to have that great food.

Im not talking about the "typical" restaurants which deliver (dominos etc.). It could be your favourite restaurant!

What Do you think about that? Does something like this already exist?

I really appreciate your opinion and help!!

P.S. I`m from Germany...

Carsten68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
GreenerDaze

There are couple of them in my area:

http://www.superwaiter.ca/
http://www.food-delivery.ca

There was another one I used once a couple years ago...but the delivery fee was like $6-7 which stopped me from using it again...I'm lazy, but not that lazy.

GreenerDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:03 PM   #3
JackieHFS

Default online food ordering

We had something like that a few years back called carry out connection. We used it some but I think it went out of business. If you ordered from one place you paid one delivery fee but if you wanted food from more than one you paid an additional delivery fee. I found it helpful since we had kids and didn't always want to deal with the resturaunt setting and all. I think the cost of gas could be an issue. Not sure what prices in Germany are like.

Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:30 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I don't know what exists right now in Germany, but we had something similar 10+ years ago in Jersey City NJ. At that time, you couldn't order online, but they distributed a catalog with menus from each of the participating restaurants. You just called up the delivery service, told them what you wanted from where (could be multiple restaurants). They'd take care of calling each place and coordinating the pickups so everything would be reasonably hot and fresh when it arrived at your house.

I don't know how well they worked, as we never took advantage of the service. It sounded intriguing, but we had a few delivery style restaurants (Chinese, pizza, that sort of thing) we relied on for those evenings we didn't want to cook or go out -- and otherwise, we enjoyed cooking for ourselves and the ambiance of going out to eat.

After awhile, we didn't get any more brochures from them, so I figured either they'd decided we weren't good prospects or they'd gone out of business.

With gas prices the way they are, I'd be concerned about whether it would be something that could be profitable. I think in a big city with plenty of restaurant options close together with residential areas, it might work. In a more spread-out suburban/rural setting, I'm thinking the lower population density and longer travel time/distance might make it less feasible. But that's just my speculation.

--Torka

Old 3rd April 2008, 04:39 PM   #5
SophieP

San Francisco used to have 2 restaurant services that our law firm would use regularly. Lawyers work crazy hours and will pay for expensive dinners esp. when they can bill their clients for the expense. They were called "Waiters on Wheels" and "Dine-One-One". Not sure if they are in business anymore, but we certainly gave them a ton of business. The structure of their businesses parallels your business idea. I bet yours would do well if you market to big city law firms in Germany.

Good luck,
Sophie

SophieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 01:25 AM   #6
shef26

Default online food ordering system

I can suggest you the name of a website where you can access each and every detail of the food you want to order from any of the listed restaurants.This site can be very help to you for ordering food of your choice. The site is http://www.merosys.com. Hope here you can get exactly what you want.

shef26 is offline   Reply With Quote