Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th July 2006, 01:42 PM   #1
igarbani

Default Writing Articles - Where to Post Them

One of the sound advice I have heard to increase links pointing to my site is to write articles that are relevant to what my customers want/need.

So I wrote some articles... but now I'm unsure where to shop around to actually get them published! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

igarbani is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th July 2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Do you also include the articles on your own site? That's the best place to start!

As for posting articles, there are lots of places around the web you can do this. ideamarketers.com is one of the more reputable ones.

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 11:30 AM   #3
igarbani

Default Thanks!

I do have the articles on my site.

I will check out ideamarketers.

Thanks!

igarbani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 03:10 PM   #4
dsresearch

Send a message via Yahoo to dsresearch

Here are a couple other really good article distributors you should consider: (I am not affiliated in any way with these sites)

http://www.ezinearticles.com
http://searchwarp.com

dsresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 06:40 PM   #5
hawkins217

Thumbs up How to Submit Your Articles

There are many places where you can submit your articles such as goarticles.com, ezinearticles.com, and articlecity.com. However, submitting them manually can be very tedious! So, I use an excellent article service call submityourarticle.com. They submit to thousands of article directories and groups. The fee is $37 per month.
Monique

hawkins217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 05:57 AM   #6
jeanm
VIP Contributor

Location: Bunbury, Western Australia - way down in the bottom left corner of the country if you look at a map.

You can also try:

Pure Directory
Article Well
Amazines
Go Articles
Articlecity
Article Alley
Article Dashboard

Old 19th July 2006, 01:12 AM   #7
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

The best thing you can do with your articles is, indeed, keep them on your own website. By having a lot of articles you become the resource in your industry and can get a lot of traffic and links this way.

If the articles on other sites outrank yours for your keywords, you won't be getting traffic.

That being said, you can write top-quality articles and submit them to topical magazines in your industry, become an expert for them or other topical sites, etc.

A good rule of thumb is the easier for you to get your article approved, the less value the link will carry. The more work you do, the better the output is.
That's why submitting articles to hundreds of directories, though tedious, may carry little weight with Google, at least.

You can create a blog about your industry and publish 1-5 times a week about what interests you in your industry, with tips, advice, news, etc. Blogging is one of the best ways to publish content and attract visitors and links. If you have sufficient interest in your industry, blogging is the way to go.

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 06:27 PM   #8
copywriter

Quote:
A good rule of thumb is the easier for you to get your article approved, the less value the link will carry. The more work you do, the better the output is.

That's why submitting articles to hundreds of directories, though tedious, may carry little weight with Google, at least.
Sorry, I can't agree with you on that. The immediate result of submitting to article directories may not carry a lot of weight with the big G, but the residual effect of your articles (and their associated links) ending up on prominent sites throughout the WWW is a big deal and does carry a lot of weight with Google.

Submitting is time-consuming, but not hard, but it does pay off if you're doing it right. I'd estimate that at least 1/3 of my business comes from people who have read my articles. You submit, if your article is good it gets picked up by others and you get the benefits. No major output required.

Old 20th July 2006, 03:16 AM   #9
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Sorry, Karon, but I have to be missing something.

Do you publish articles on the free article banks that no one visits?
Do you get any traffic from those article directories?

I'd suspect you'd get a lot more targeted traffic from your online magazine publications. It is not easy to get there, but it has to worth it.

I hope you won't argue that the more work you do, the better results you get. If you spend a lot of efforts on polishing your copywriting skills, offer an article or two for publication in your industry journals and get accepted, the efforts will be paid off handsomely.

I have myself tried submitting articles to free article banks. Sites that approve articles yielded a lot more traffic than those who did not, because those sites (like ezinearticles or buzzle) are more quality sites and more people visit them.

Perhaps you could clarify how you can get business from free article banks? I'd certainly try what you suggest to prove your point 8)

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 07:41 AM   #10
copywriter

Quote:
Do you publish articles on the free article banks that no one visits?
Yes, except people do visit article banks.

Quote:
Do you get any traffic from those article directories?
Yep, sure do! As well as traffic from the publishers who have visited the article banks and placed my articles on their websites and in their newsletters.

Quote:
I'd suspect you'd get a lot more targeted traffic from your online magazine publications. It is not easy to get there, but it has to worth it.
Actually, no. I don't have an ezine any longer because I always got more traffic from other sources than my ezine.

Quote:
I hope you won't argue that the more work you do, the better results you get. If you spend a lot of efforts on polishing your copywriting skills, offer an article or two for publication in your industry journals and get accepted, the efforts will be paid off handsomely.
I will argue that it's not as hard as people make it out to be. You mentioned nothing about polising your copywriting skills in your earlier post. I took your comments to mean that you had to work yourself silly and try to get into paper magazines in order to see any success. That's simply not true.

Yes, I agree that you need to write quality articles. They need to be professional and well-rounded. You can't slap together some silly piece on "The Top 10 Reasons To Hire A Copywriter" (which has been beaten to death and is also very self-promotional) and expect to get picked up by anybody.

Quote:
I have myself tried submitting articles to free article banks. Sites that approve articles yielded a lot more traffic than those who did not, because those sites (like ezinearticles or buzzle) are more quality sites and more people visit them.
Free article banks come in both varieties: those that approve articles and those that don't. Those that approve articles would offer a higher quality to their visitors/publishers so I would agree with you that they may be the better choices. But they are still under the category of free article directories.

Quote:
Perhaps you could clarify how you can get business from free article banks? I'd certainly try what you suggest to prove your point 8)
I've already clarified it. Just as I said before. You publish articles to the free article banks. Their visitors (who are publishers and web masters) see your article in the bank and use it on their websites or their ezines. That gives you more links and more exposure. Others see your article at some point and ask to republish it on their site. It just continues on and on.

It's not difficult, it's not expensive, it is easy.