Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th March 2005, 08:58 AM   #1
NurseKate

Question Logo Creation

What is a really cheap way to create a logo professionally?

If you want to do it yourself, what tips does anyone have? Like I know keep it simple, make sure it looks good in B&W. What about what format should it be saved in? How to make the image stay really sharp even if you make it large?

NurseKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th March 2005, 03:19 PM   #2
fast-pack.com

Send a message via AIM to fast-pack.com Send a message via Yahoo to fast-pack.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseKate
What is a really cheap way to create a logo professionally?

If you want to do it yourself, what tips does anyone have? Like I know keep it simple, make sure it looks good in B&W. What about what format should it be saved in? How to make the image stay really sharp even if you make it large?
Hi Kate,
I know you asked how to create a cheap logo yourself, well .... I never had much luck creating them myself. Try elance.com , you post what you need and can even ask to see a mockup of your project from people "bidding" on your project. Then choose a winner. We have had many projects completed through elance and have been pleased with the work we received, and the prices have been excellent.

fast-pack.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2005, 02:57 PM   #3
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Go to ebay. Search for logo design. Each designer shows a portfolio of their designs. Pick the designer you like. It should cost you about $9.95-14.95.

Michele

Old 17th March 2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Robert
Administrator

I'll throw in a plug for one of our forum members, Eric. He's not cheap, but he is fantastic to work with.

Old 7th April 2005, 10:36 AM   #5
gilmorejay
VIP Contributor

Default To do or not to do (your own logo)?

NurseKate,

I'd advise not to do it yourself. There are lots of resources out there. If money is an issue try contacting your local design school and post an ad for a student to do it either as a portfolio exercise or as a contest and the winner gets a free dinner (not cheap) or the like.

One of the biggest problems with the do-it-yourselfers is the software that you use. You need to have the logo as a vector graphic (vs. a rasterized bitmap) file of some sort. You will run into scaling problems (making the logo larger or smaller) if you design your logo in an imaging application like PaintBrush or any photo application.

Professional Designers will use Quark, Adobe Illustrator or Adobe InDesign or Macromedia Freehand to develop a logo. The first reason is that the logo will be a scalable vector graphic file. The second reason is that these applications allow for output to the same formats that printing houses use. Most printers will accept files from the applications listed above, as well, these programs have native output to PDF documents so that anyone can open and print the files.

If you must design your own logo there are Open Source Software programs that you can download to use. One of them is InkScape, it is a project designed mainly for internet ready SVG files but has some provision for other output formats. The other is SodiPodi, which proposes to be a full-function, Illustrator-like application but it is still under development and not yet fully stable.

In addition, I strongly recommend Robin Williams, The Non-Designers Design Book (Peachpit Press, less than $14.95 USD) as it is probably one of the most instructive of its kind. It is not a perfect book but the guidelines and suggestions are realistic and practical. Any small business owner should have this book.

Finally, regardless of who designs your logo you should have no less than three different ones made up and have them subjectively reviewed by clients and prospects and base your choice on that, coupled with how the logo represents your business. Best of luck.

Regards,

Jay Gilmore

Old 8th April 2005, 11:43 AM   #6
copywriter

I agree. That's not something you want to play around with. Go ahead and fork over the money and have it done right. All of the resources mentioned here are good and you should be able to find someone to give you a reasonable rate. (Just be sure to look at their portfolio before hiring them.)

Old 12th April 2005, 01:51 PM   #7
withinreach

Default Why are 'Cheap' and 'logo' allowed in the same sentence?

A logo is the visual representation of your business/company. Who gets a logo for $14.95??. What kind of compensation is that when you are having a unique logo designed for you to be used royalty free on anything you can put your hands on. You can't by stock photography for this cost (and anyone can buy the same stock photo) so why are people trying to short change designers on this? If your company makes even a teeny profit, your logo has already been paid for, so why skimp on the visual icon that is the symbol for your product or services?

How much did you pay for that suit, or briefcase, or tie you wear when going to meet clients. Doesn't that represent the professionalism of your company, wouldn't you want your logo to do that?

If your worry is the quality, then strike an agreement that the designer must provide at least 3 iterations, and 1-2 rounds of tweaks once a direction has been chosen.Designers, cover your resources. Charge 1/3 of the total cost up front. This is non-refundable and will be subtracted from the final agreed upon total. Offer 3 iterations ( at a total of 3-4 hours), and 1-2 rounds of tweaks (each at 1 hour). Anything beyond this receives an hourly charge, and your payment is due once you complete this first agreement, anything after that is charged hourly and is billed separately. If the client won't agree to these terms then they are not serious about the project. Charge what you think your skills are worth. It's a logo. You are going to spend some hours designing it and then the client is going to use it to make lots and lots of money. Go to getty images and take a look at what a rights managed photo costs for a 1 year use, on packaging, at 1/8 size...

Companies and even small design firms charge a minimum of $125 an hour for an entry level or junior designer to do work. And the "send me some rough sketches and if I like it I'll pick you" line is just classic. It's second only to "if this works out it will lead to a lot more work." Quit wasting peoples time. If you want a logo done for peanuts go to a high school or target the foundation level graphic design classes. Your logo will truly reflect the price you paid and everyone will be happy.

And as for looking for 'free spec work' on elance - how many of you give away actual free services or products (not simple 'samples' like a broken up cookie), but actual work for free, in the hopes you get picked?

Ever have a carpenter come over to hang a picture, so you can decide if they get to fix the cabinetry? Maybe ask an accountant to fill out your 1040, to see if you like the numbers?

Stop looking for cheap and free - pay those folks who have a great portfolio and great testimonials (you did look and verify right?) the monies they deserve.

And no, I don't make logos for a living.

withinreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2005, 05:38 PM   #8
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Hmm,
I made my own. And now I'm afraid it's awful. Of course, I don't have any print materials - just the website - so I guess it's not too big of a blunder..live and learn I guess.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 02:23 PM   #9
gilmorejay
VIP Contributor

withinreach,

You said,
Quote:
Companies and even small design firms charge a minimum of $125 an hour for an entry level or junior designer to do work.
While this is true, there are many graphic designers (especially now) who work freelance and don't need to charge $125/hour plus because they don't have downtown offices or a legal staff.

I agree that all people should be fairly compensated for their work, but many freelancers can charge as little as $25-50 USD an hour and make a fine living. This doesn't mean that anyone should go cheap on their logo, but small business owners can and should get the best product for the best price.

As a website designer and consultant working from my home, I can charge 50 to 75% less than the corporate guys because I have little overhead and I still allocate 15%(gross) to marketing and my margins are great.

NurseKate should definitely hire a professional - just make sure that they are actually a professional.

Best regards to all,

Jay Gilmore

Old 22nd April 2005, 02:11 PM   #10
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I just purchased a logo from TheLogoCompany and was VERY impressed. $75 gets you three different designs to choose from (I got six!) and one edit. Very impressed with the logos they provided. All original, no clip art, etc.