Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th April 2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Roxy

Default Small Business Online And Offline Marketing Concerns

Hi,

I'm thinking about growing my small business and i'm interested in having an online presence - so, I'm thinking about getting a website online.

A Couple of my friends have their own businesses, and actually already have websites online.

I was looking for their sites online, but, when I typed in the type of business in the search engines, like Google or Yahoo, they weren't showing up in Google or Yahoo - so it got me thinking - how do I get my site to show
up on the first page of the search engines - is this a problem that
all business owners go through - am I the only one concerned about this?

As I told my friends, I can't see the point of having a website if prospective
customers can't find my site in the search engines - how will they know I'm
even there?

I understand I can give my customers my website URL but that's only a small
part of why I want the website - my main objective is to get more customers.

A related question is, I talked to my friends about the having their business listed in the local Yellow pages and they both told me that year after year their costs for the yellow page ads have gone up, and they are getting very few and in some months they don't get any calls from the yellow pages - and this is way down from years ago - and I think it's because in my case I haven't used the yellow pages in a couple years, I do all of my searches online.

I'm really concerned that the yellow pages is now non-existent for small businesses- so, this relates to my previous question - if people don't use the yellow pages, if you are not being to found online on the first page - what do you do?

I talked to the yellow pages rep and he told me that for a small ad - it's going to cost me approx. $450 per month, just in my town - in surrounding towns it's going to be $900 per month - based on my two friends and my own experience - I can't see paying for any ad for that price- it seems smarter to get my website online, and start advertising that way - but, again, it's not going to do me any good unless, I get my website on the first page of the search engines so that people find me online easily and quickly.

Am I only the one worried about this? Seems like our only alternative is having a website now for local adverstising - but, then again, we're not going to get noticed unless we're on the first page of the search engines, am I right?

Please help!

Roxy

Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.