Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default Google AdSense Optimization Webinar Transcript

Here is a transcript from the June 30, 2005 Google AdSense Optimization Webinar:

http://www.google.com/services/adsense_webinar.html

The discussion was led by Phoebe Ho from Google's AdSense Optimization Team.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th August 2005, 11:54 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Without reading through the entire thing, was there any highlights or special tips that you recall and can post here, Robert?

Old 5th August 2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Robert
Administrator

Great idea David. Here are some quickie notes from the Webinar:

Host stressed that they were providing guidelines. Every site is different, every industry is different. You must experiment to see what works on your site.

Ad Location:

Above the fold in the middle of the page works best.

Above the fold and to the left also works well because people naturally look there.

Think about what your user is looking at and put your ads there or near the content where they are looking.

For long articles, placing an ad at the bottom of the text works well. Readers will finish the article and be presented with relevant resources in the ads.

Place the ads on pages throughout your site and test ad formats for each page.

Test how an ad in one position on a page compare to another spot on the page.

For forums, try placing the ads where the second post usually is located.

For forums, text based ads don't do as well as other parts of sites so be sure and use CPM ad formats in your forum.

Best Performing Ad Formats:

336x280 large rectangle
300x250 medium rectangle
160x600 wide skyscraper

Be sure you have your account set so you are opted in to image ads. In AdSense, Image ads compete with the text based ads and Google will automatically show the format that produces the most money for you.

Image ads are base on CPM so you will be earning each time your page is viewed, not just when the ad is clicked.

Link unit ads allow your visitors to refine what they are interested in.

If they aren't interested in the ads on your page, they may be interested in one of the topics listed in the link unit. The link unit then give them the opportunity to see a larger variety of ads.

Test link units in your menu bars and navigation bars. They take up very little space.

Consider testing Google AdSense for Search. This will allow visitors to search the Web or your site and you earn from any ads they click in the search results.

Color Selection:

Use colors to help ads blend in to your site so they are seen as adding to the content, not separate from the content. This helps reduce ad blindness.

Another method to decrease ad blindness is using a rotating color palette that compliments or blends well with your site.

Tracking:

Be sure and use the channels so you can track your tests.

Public service ads shown on your site do count toward the page impressions shown in your AdSense stats.

If you run alternative ads to replace public service ads, those will count toward the page impressions shown in your AdSense stats.

There will be a discrepancy between your AdSense stats and your page view counter. AdSense doesn't count visits from robots and crawlers. An impression is only counted when the ad code gets fully executed. Visitors with Javascript turned off in browser won't be counted. Visitors with with ad blockers won't be counted. Or, if a visitor stops loading a page before the ad code fully executes, the impression won't be counted.

Case Study Sites:

HybridCars.com - Started as a hobby but now gets 25,000 page readers a day.

At first the owner only placed ads on a few pages and he didn't have good results. But, when he put the ads on 90% of his pages his revenue went from $80-$90 days to $250-$300 days.

Tips from owner:
Focus on content first and make your site the best for your content niche. Experiment with different formats, colors and positions.

GeekZone.Co.NZ - Site launched in 2003 and now it's his full time job.

Tips from owner:
Experiment with ad position. Simple changes can have big impact on revenue.

Use colors to blend ads in to your site. He doubled his revenue by blending colors.

Make it easy to get around your site and make sure visitors see the ads as a viable exit route without asking them to click the ads.

AskTheBuilder.com - Started site in 1995. AdSense allows him to spend less time selling ads and more time creating content.

Tips from owner:
Not all experiments will work out so be sure you are tracking.

Visitors are going to leave your site. That's okay. If they don't buy your stuff, then let them leave the site through one of the Google AdSense ads, because every time they do that, you make money.

Finally...

Never click on your own ads. Publishers have been terminated for that.

Old 5th August 2005, 01:30 PM   #4
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Very helpful! Thanks, Robert.

Quote:
Be sure you have your account set so you are opted in to image ads. In AdSense, Image ads compete with the text based ads and Google will automatically show the format that produces the most money for you.

Image ads are base on CPM so you will be earning each time your page is viewed, not just when the ad is clicked.
Wow, I did not know this. How cool. [going to turn on image ads now]

Old 9th August 2005, 05:43 PM   #5
BobetteKyle

I am a total AdSense fan (for putting on information sites).

To me, the best tips in Robert's summary are 1) test and 2) use those channels. If I want to test a change, I set up two pages - one set up current way and the other with the change - and set each page up on URL tracking channel until I get a couple of hundred clicks. If the test page isn't better, I do it again with another change, until I find a more favorable configuration. Then I go ahead and make the change across the site. Every single improvement in eCPM (earned cost per thousand impressions) I make by testing makes $ from today forward.

BobetteKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Anita

Send a message via AIM to Anita Send a message via Yahoo to Anita Send a message via Skype™ to Anita
Thumbs up great post!

Excellent post, Robert.

I had no idea about some of this stuff.

One other thing I noticed is that by changing the ad sizes and colors from time to time, it increases the revenue. I think people just get used to seeing the same thing, and if you change it, it stops being invisible.

Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 11:26 AM   #7
fairdoes
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the article Robert. I tried everything and 'bottom of the page' and 'sections where visitors really hang around (and return)' are tops for me.

After that, it was building traffic that worked - AdSense just looks after itself! (Long may it continue). And, irony of irony, giving services 'free' was the most profitable move ever...

Channels plus one's site-stats tell the whole story when devising a policy.

fairdoes is offline   Reply With Quote