Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th April 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
timandren

Default Be A Business Black Belt

Do you know who your customer is? Do you know the answer to such question as...

what they look like? what they talk about? what's important to them? their values? what TV shows or movies they watch? do they have kids? how much money they might have to spend?

...AND THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION EVER FOR YOUR BUSINESS...

what motivates them?

I encourage you to drop everything you do and dive into the martial art of serving your business lifesource. Understand your customers pools of interest, their motivations, hobbies, hopes, fears, dreams, loves, challenges and desires. Master your understanding of them. Do all of this and you'll become a black belt in the art of serving your customers wants and needs.

Can you imagine a business that cared enough about all of these things and more for your life? Would you buy something that feels comfortable, is reasonably priced, is reliable, you enjoyed using and was delivered with great service? I would - and do all of the time.

I have a rule. For purchases of over $100, the product or service must meet at least 3 standards of value for me or else it's not worth it. If a product is comfortable and priced well, it's simply not enough. I work hard for my money and expect the best. On top of that, working in marketing for a living makes me pay attention to this type of detail and appreciate the companies that are doing it right. The black belts.

Last edited by timandren; 13th April 2009 at 02:19 PM.
timandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th April 2009, 02:50 AM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Good info! One rule that we live by it to overdeliver. You would be surprised at the results. People really (and I mean really) love it when they get it bigger, better, faster or whatever then they expected.

When you continue to overdeliver.. you have nothing but happy clients. We do it all the time because it works.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 10:39 PM   #3
timandren

I like this reply. Sometimes we accept standard delivery as satisfactory. What if we found a way as small businesses to do 50% more than that? I get the feeling customers will be so blown away that they couldn't help themselves from promoting your product or service.

timandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 11:53 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Thank you for that comment. We really try hard at this. I have to say, that in today's market with the 'Press 1 for...' and all the holding and then, if you live through that.. the call centers that are located a half a world away... service is becoming a big, big issue.

We operate a web design and hosting service. Our focus is small business (under 100 employees) of which most do not have websites, or they are built it myself style... and we provide services at a very reasonable price. (Not trying to sell our services.. but...) you really don't understand the importance of 'overdeliver' until people start telling you about their other bad experiences. You start hearing about their trips to the grocery store.. and all that stuff... and they end the conversation by telling you that they are so pleased they will be sure to mention your name to their associates.

What could be better. No cost testimonials with an ad tossed in for good measure!

I like it.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 04:48 AM   #5
FBCondos

My answer will be yes. My customers are my target market and as to the following questions, demographics can give resolution to that. Studying consumer behavior is a major part in marketing. All of that is very essential to study and understand for further realization of the things that are needed and requires improvement.

FBCondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 05:49 AM   #6
David Morson

The most important aspect is to do the SWOT Analysis of your business and industry to check strategically evaluate a business. This is a must requirement in order to get success in today's work place.

David Morson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 05:58 AM   #7
DanWilliams

Might not be a bad idea to tell folks "how" you found out what customers wanted in your own experience. Iknow my business might be different but I'll share my experience...

Years ago, we made hundreds of calls to those who bought and those who didn't and asked what motivated them, what turned them cold, what was missing from our service, etc. We were then able to develop a new plan that stressed "overdelivery" and all the things that clients told us they were looking for.

We still do a 30 day review with new clients to see what they would change about their experience with us...just to stay on top of our game.

DanWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote