Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th October 2004, 01:40 AM   #1
attributor

Default How should I set up a links page?

I have been submitting my site, www.myoquip.com.au to directories and have been listed in 35 so far. Initially, being inexperienced, I hesitated to exchange links but now feel that this is an obvious next step.

My plan was to have navigation buttons, "Link Directory" and "Link to Us", on the home page. However, when I visit other sites including some owned by experienced members of this forum, I sometimes find it rather hard to find the location of their links.

Why are the links virtually hidden? Are they only there to be picked up by search engines' web crawlers rather than by real visitors to the websites. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Bruce

attributor is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th October 2004, 08:13 AM   #2
tomsk

Default Links

I think the general consensus is not to use the word link anymore you might want to try resources, site of interest etc.

“Why are links hidden on some sites” this week I have been working on our site changing from a links software program to our own directory and was amazed to see how many of those people we had a link with had put our page in the depths of there website which really you could only find if you had the url. The reason pure and simple they do not want there links to be resourceful for the user only to help them rank with google.

So now if you we have a reciprocal link it is to be easily found by a relative novice surfer or no link will be added.

tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2004, 09:33 AM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Just as Tomsk made reference to, if a link links page is hard to find or even hidden, it is pretty obvious that it is not really there as a resource for their visitors but rather a place to reciprocate links.

Old 24th October 2004, 01:57 PM   #4
Anita

Send a message via AIM to Anita Send a message via Yahoo to Anita Send a message via Skype™ to Anita

You might want to consider creating a blog as a section of your site, as a key part of your linking strategy. And go to blog sites to request reciprocal links, if you can.

One of the great things about blogs is that it is "acceptable" to have links on the home page. And it is accepted to have lots of links within individual blog posts.

A blog by its nature encourages/enables more linking than the architecture of a typical commercial website allows.

Not to mention that your blog itself can drive considerable traffic to your commercial website.

Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 03:12 AM   #5
tomsk

Default What is a blog?

I can’t quite understand what a blog is can somebody explain?

tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 09:30 AM   #6
jlknauff

You really should set up a links page-but under no circumstances should you call it "links.htm" or anything of that nature. SEs don't pay any attention to anything on pages named like that so it will provide no benefit to your link partners-plus, anyone that knows SEO won't trade links with you.

The main reason to trade links isn't so that people will go to a links page and magically find your site-99% of the time that won't happen. It really is primarily for the search engines to find your site. If used properly it will help your ranking.

A blog is basically a CMS that you use as sort of a "daily journal" Here is an example Blogs for Bush I belive you can set one up for free through Google

jlknauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 10:37 AM   #7
Anita

Send a message via AIM to Anita Send a message via Yahoo to Anita Send a message via Skype™ to Anita
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsk
A blog is an easy-to-update website that encourages community. Blogs do a lot of linking -- and the smart ones follow the advice given here and stay away from the word "links."

Here is an example of a business-purpose blog: Oklahoma Wine News

Here is an example of a group "popular culture" blog where, by posting you automatically get a link on the home page back to your site: Blogcritics

Neither of the above are my blogs, but they are interesting examples.

Best,

Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 09:47 PM   #8
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsk

Along with the above information, I think you will find these threads helpful:

Blog, blogging

Adding a blog to your business website

Old 25th October 2004, 11:59 PM   #9
Valerie

Default Excuse my ignorance...

Hello,

I have never heard the "avoid the word 'links" any other time than now... and that if anyone who knows about SEO won't exchange links w/me if I have a links page? News to me... and what about all the folks I've exchanged links with to their links page??

I'm obviously getting differing advise on the links issues... from different "experts"?

Valerie

Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 01:35 AM   #10
wayne h

Hi Valerie.

You are discussing two separate issues.

One issue is the concept of trading links.

The other is avoiding the use of the word "link" or "links" wherever possible. It is also about a directory file having anything that says "links.htm" in the coding.

Trading links is fine provided the other person is willing to make a fair exchange and doesn't use any "dirty tricks". Unfortunately, they do happen. I have a discuss on "Linking: Avoiding dirty tricks" on my blog.

Should you exchange links, that is a more complicated topic. When you do trade links with other sites, do so with your visitors and customers in mind. In other words, stick to the themes and topics of your site. Not only will your visitors appreciate it, but so will the search engines as they reward theme related links, and discount those that are off topic.

Avoiding the term "links" in every possible way is good for the search engines as well. They are tending to ignore "links.htm" pages entirely. That means little or no passed along Google PageRank or link popularity boost. It's also better for your visitors if they see your links as Resources or something similar. Think in terms of helping your visitors, and they and the search engines will help you in return.

Hope that helps a bit.

Wayne Hurlbert

wayne h is offline   Reply With Quote