Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st December 2011, 03:54 AM   #1
IntegratedS

Default Keywords In Top 5 Position?

Hello Friends,
I have been working on one of the SEO project from past few months and by working consistently on this I had achieved my first target that is to bring all the keywords on top ten position but now I am focusing to bring these in top 5 position and some of the techniques which I am using are directory submission, social bookmarking, forum posting, blogging, article submission etc., Still by using all these techniques the keywords are not yet stable on their position for example one of the keyword was on position 4 and now it has dropped down to position 7. Please suggest some techniques which can be helpful to bring all the keywords in top 5 positions and make them stable.
Thanks.

IntegratedS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st December 2011, 01:15 PM   #2
tobuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegratedS View Post
Hello Friends,
I have been working on one of the SEO project from past few months and by working consistently on this I had achieved my first target that is to bring all the keywords on top ten position but now I am focusing to bring these in top 5 position and some of the techniques which I am using are directory submission, social bookmarking, forum posting, blogging, article submission etc., Still by using all these techniques the keywords are not yet stable on their position for example one of the keyword was on position 4 and now it has dropped down to position 7. Please suggest some techniques which can be helpful to bring all the keywords in top 5 positions and make them stable.
Thanks.
My sites have slowly climbed upward. They clime and fall regardless if I am currently adding links or whatever. Once your site has been around longer and you have solidly beaten your competitors in keyword links and the other stuff then you will stay high more consistently.

tobuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 03:21 PM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegratedS View Post
Please suggest some techniques which can be helpful to bring all the keywords in top 5 positions and make them stable.
There are no techniques that will guarantee you top 5 positioning. Companies that makes those kinds of outlandish guarantees are scams. You will never see legitimate SEO companies guarantee top 5 positioning. Why? Because they can't. SEO companies can't control what the search engines do any more than you or I can.

Regarding stability, search engines are fickle and have constantly changing algorithms. No one can predict what they're going to do from one day to the next. The best advice I can give you is to make sure your pages are properly optimized for your keywords, and your website has lots of quality content that is refreshed regularly.

After that, you pretty much have to let the proverbial chips fall where they may. One last thing: Do yourself a favor and read Stoney deGeyter's
SEO 101: Everything You Need to Know About SEO (But Were Afraid to Ask) .

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 21st December 2011 at 09:05 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 06:43 AM   #4
M.Rebecca

You see, itís very difficult to stick to a SERP ranking. Fluctuations in search results (as a result of rigorous optimization by your competitors) makes it really hard for webmasters to stay glued to a high SERP position.
Try concentrating more on building quality traffic (blogging, guest blogging, social bookmarking, social networking, niche forums) which will boost your rankings automatically.
Guest blogging works for me, With keyword country as my partner, I am able to find niche related blogs easily to comment on.

You must, however, keep working on on-page and off-page optimization techniques consistently and religiously to avoid steep falls.

Old 22nd December 2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Safeserps

Default Top 5 positions

Hi,

My first post, so, Hi everyone.

Anyway.... My Two Pennies.

It is 100% possible to rank any site for any keyword.

Whilst it is stupid to "promise" first place, we can and do regularly manage to push brand new pages into first place for very tough keywords and keep them there, but not always.

The key to it is, as it has always been:

Provide keyword relevant, unique and compelling content that is better than the current first place holder.

That's it, it's easy really.

There are however a number of ways of achieving this, using either:

On-page methods, (if it's practical, possible and if the client allows for example)
Off-page methods, (lots of these)
Or a combination. (the best way and required if your domain is brand new)

But, one way or another, that unique, keyword relevant content has to be in there somewhere.

To find a good SEO company, you need to find one who can put the above principal to work for your site and your site in particular.

Don't get put off because your site is new etc, I can promise you, it is 100% possible to rank any domain into P1-P5 for a 20,000 exact match, UK only, highly competitive keyword in under 6 months if you follow the principal above.

The cost increases because the biggest terms, say 70k exact match are held by companies that have been following the above principal for years.

For example the insurance, travel and bulk retail market.

Content = cost
Xxxxxx keywords = automation
Automation = cost

Tony

Safeserps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:06 AM   #6
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safeserps View Post
Provide keyword relevant, unique and compelling content that is better than the current first place holder.

That's it, it's easy really.
No, it's not easy really. There's a lot more to it than what you suggested - not the least of which is the age of the domain, competition and constant algorithm changes. Ranking highly for your keyword terms and holding on to your position is a perpetual chess match with the search engines. It's a constant challenge. IT IS NOT EASY!!!

David Jackson

Old 22nd December 2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Safeserps

Default Humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
No, it's not easy really. There's a lot more to it than what you suggested - not the least of which is the age of the domain, competition and constant algorithm changes. Ranking highly for your keyword terms and holding on to your position is a perpetual chess match with the search engines. It's a constant challenge. IT IS NOT EASY!!!

David Jackson
Sorry, It's called sarcasm David.

Whilst I agree on the domain age making it easier, it is definately not a requirement in fact we work with brand new domains for the most part.

Of course, most of the domains we are pushing with the new domains are aged.

Not sure on the chess match though, if you're providing unique, relevant content that is better than the next competitor then you should not be facing that challenge.

Don't fight with Google, give it what it wants in effect.

Spammy links are a definate no no.
We don't use comment posting for that type of thing, nor article marketing etc.

Here's an example keyword for you for google.co.uk

Christmas Cruises

We took that 1st place from the market leader in September and have held it ever since with a site that has never ranked for that keyword, not targeted it nor even had a page for it.

Of course the domain is aged and relevant, and it was targeted with another external page that is also keyword targeted and relevant, but it was a brand new domain that cost $7.61.

The external site also ranks for the same keyword, only lower, but it achieved our goal.

I will agree though, Google can be most odd sometimes.

Tony

Last edited by Safeserps; 22nd December 2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:12 AM   #8
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safeserps View Post
It's called sarcasm David.
I'm here to help people, not be sarcastic!

David Jackson

Old 22nd December 2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Safeserps

Quote:
I'm here to help people, not be sarcastic!

David Jackson
Sounds like it.

Wow, it's like walking into a bar in South London....

Ho Ho Ho.

T

Old 22nd December 2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Safeserps

Default don't feed the....

In my helpful mood today I thought I'd answer one of the locals.

Quote:
There are no techniques that will guarantee you top 5 positioning.
Not sure about that one.....

Quote:
Companies that makes those kinds of outlandish guarantees are scams. You will never see legitimate SEO companies guarantee top 5 positioning.
The UK market leader does and turns over £26million per year?

Quote:
Why? Because they can't.
They can.

Quote:
SEO companies can't control what the search engines do any more than you or I can.
One does not need control of Google, one needs to give Google what it's looking for in any particular keyword.

Quote:
Regarding stability, search engines are fickle and have constantly changing algorithms.
Agreed, the algorithm is constantly looking to ditch the rubbish sites and present the sites with the best unique, relevant content. If Google keeps ditching your sites then I have given you the answer to your problem.

Quote:
No one can predict what they're going to do from one day to the next.
I provided 2 years traffic projections for a network of 10 domains only yesterday to another client that turns over more money than either you or I could imagine.

Quote:
The best advice I can give you is to make sure your pages are properly optimized for your keywords, and your website has lots of quality content that is refreshed regularly.
100% agree

Quote:
After that, you pretty much have to let the proverbial chips fall where they may.
I'm not sure on that......

Last edited by Safeserps; 22nd December 2011 at 11:40 AM.