Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd January 2013, 07:25 PM   #11
amichalski

I'm glad to hear that, Karon. They do a lot of stuff I don't like of late, but on this count anyway, good for Google.

All the nonsense out there--and the implication that that's what a writer is supposed to produce when the medium happens to be the web--is exactly the reason I've viewed viewed web copywriting as a specialty I'm happy enough to overlook. Sure, I'll work on your web pages...with the understanding that I have dexterity with words, NOT specific marketing expertise. I write the kind of copy I want to read, not that which is tuned to a list of terms.

amichalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th February 2013, 01:31 AM   #12
raveinfosys

Send a message via Skype™ to raveinfosys

Default 7 SEO Copywriting Mistakes You Might Be Making

No matter how well your website is ranking in the search engines and no matter how much traffic you’re getting, if your copywriting isn’t great, you won’t get sales. Those rankings will be meaningless. And that traffic will be for nothing.

SEO copywriting is the glue that brings all your other online marketing efforts together. Without strong glue, everything unravels, and you get no results. If you aren’t converting visitors into customers, it could be that you’re making one or more of these 7 SEO copywriting mistakes.

Targeting the wrong keywords

Just because you’re ranking well doesn’t necessarily mean you’re targeting the right keywords. You want to focus your SEO efforts on keywords that draw in searchers who are in the final stages of the buying cycle. Never guess about which keywords you should be targeting. Do your research. There are several great keyword research tools online you can take advantage of.

Stuffing keywords

Amateur SEO copywriters think that repeating the keyword as often as possible increases their chances of ranking well in the SERPs. Even if that was true (and it’s not), this method completely overlooks the fact that you need to actually convert visitors into customers.

Keyword-stuffed copy doesn’t convert. Don’t just write for the search engines; write for your ideal customer as well.

Making word count a priority

One SEO myth that just won’t die is that there’s some magic word count you have to hit if you want Google to rank your page properly. Some people say that you need at least 250 words; others believe it’s 400 words. The truth? It doesn’t matter.

Just search for any phrase, and look at the top results. The word counts are all over the place. Instead of focusing on hitting a certain word count, just focus on writing clear, concise copy, no matter what the length.

Not being focused on the consumer

One of my favorite copywriting tools is the We We Calculator. The purpose of this tool is to ensure your web copy is focused on the customer…not you. See, customers are selfish. They only care about how your products and services will benefit them.

Your copy needs to use the word “you” as often as possible. Limit the use of “me”, “we”, “us”, etc. because no one really cares about you.

Writing copy that’s difficult to scan

Eyetracking studies show that online users tend to scan content rather than read it. They scan in an F-shaped pattern, trying to get the gist of your copy as quickly as possible. This means you need to write copy that’s easy to scan.

How can you do this? Use short paragraphs, short sentences, bulleted lists, and bolded text to highlight important information throughout.

Having a weak call to action

How can you expect your website visitors to take action if you don’t tell them what action you want them to take? One thing I’ve noticed is that too many copywriters are afraid to sell. They’re constantly demeaning sales-y copy, and they’re always trying to tone down their copy.

Look, I’m not saying your copy needs to read like a Billy Mays infomercial script, but let’s cut to the chase, you’re selling products and services. So, sell them! You need to have a clear, strong call to action that motivates visitors to take action now. Keep your call to action brief, and only ask visitors to take one action so you don’t overwhelm them.

Not being credible

One of the biggest challenges companies experience when selling online is that customers just don’t trust them. With every word you write, you should be working toward building your credibility. Use statistics whenever possible, and it’s always a good idea to include testimonials on your website.

Last edited by raveinfosys; 26th February 2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: forgot to bold main points
raveinfosys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:52 AM   #13
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejenn View Post
Authored by: Karon Thackston

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/tha.../0721_kt1.html

A Snippet:

SEO copywriting has begun to get a poor reputation all due to carelessness. How so? Because too many people claim to know what they are doing. In reality, they simply shove keywords into copy without any concern for how the copy flows.
It might have to do with low pay and the race to the bottom. Companies want to pay people one cent a word for copy and then expect quality.

Old 26th March 2013, 10:44 PM   #14
kaoolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by copywriter View Post
That's because it doesn't matter. The engines are way far more developed than they ever have been. Where on the page you place the terms makes no difference. They can find them anywhere.
This is just not true. It does matter.

There are key places where you need to include your keywords, including the beginning of your first paragraph.

In the other hand, sure SE can find them everywhere. But you need to lead them towards what you want to be the keyword of your page. Or else, they may pick a different string as your keyword’s page.

You may not like it

kaoolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 02:35 AM   #15
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Another thing. Many writers forgot or deliberately forget to edit their composition; as if they were being rushed up to produce more for less time.

Those bad writing examples have fallen into a spam technique: Keyword stuffing. If they put links there, Google might see it as link farming.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 06:02 AM   #16
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthervision23 View Post
Another thing. Many writers forgot or deliberately forget to edit their composition; as if they were being rushed up to produce more for less time.

Those bad writing examples have fallen into a spam technique: Keyword stuffing. If they put links there, Google might see it as link farming.
Yep, people want you to write two 500 word articles an hour. It is truly the race to the bottom when it comes to copywriting.

Old 4th April 2013, 07:13 AM   #17
kaoolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
Yep, people want you to write two 500 word articles an hour. It is truly the race to the bottom when it comes to copywriting.
Yes Carpetnj,
I have to admit I was guilty of this. Sometimes I was even unable to read and understand some of my own paragraphs

The lesson:

-It takes time to write good articles

-Always let your articles sleep. Do not upload it the day it was written. Proof read it the next day, with a “fresh mind” before making it available to your visitors

-Never write when you are tied or sleepy. You could be surprised to find the word DOG, CAT, MOUSE in your Tech article the next day.

To please search engines and avoid keyword spoofing, make sure to use a content analyzer

Old 9th January 2014, 04:27 AM   #18
Elmira Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveinfosys View Post
No matter how well your website is ranking in the search engines and no matter how much traffic you’re getting, if your copywriting isn’t great, you won’t get sales. Those rankings will be meaningless. And that traffic will be for nothing.

SEO copywriting is the glue that brings all your other online marketing efforts together. Without strong glue, everything unravels, and you get no results. If you aren’t converting visitors into customers, it could be that you’re making one or more of these 7 SEO copywriting mistakes.
These mistakes are great reminders of what NOT to do. Nice thoughts you provide here.