Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd September 2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Logan
Administrator

Hi Laura, I haven't seen vangogh in awhile so I'm going to jump in with my explanation/two cents.

For example, take two different scenarios

A) New site, 100 pages, with 1000 links from PR5 pages attained from sites like the New York Times, Slashdot, Digg's home page, etc. In that scenario, google "trusts" that the 1000 links from sites of that type can be 'trusted'.

B) New site, 100 pages, with 1000 links from PR5 pages attained from sites through a mass directory submitter software program. In that scenario google does not "turst" that the 1000 links from sites of that type can be 'trusted'.

So while both scenarios have the same number of pages, number of links from equivelant pages based on PageRank, scenario "A" might not experience a sandbox type effect while scenario "B" will based on an algorithmic equation that deduces some sort of correlation with 'trust'. I suspect this is done based on analyzing statistical norms across the entire network of sites within their index.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:31 PM   #12
sarabrown

Thanks for the explanation, Logan! Makes perfect sense.

sarabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:54 PM   #13
T.I.M

Yeah, I saw a conspiracy theory like documentary on it. Heh, just joking, thanks for the info.

T.I.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 06:30 PM   #14
samiam123

In the age of fair competition you may find it hard to believe that a search engine may hinder the appearance of a new website.

This is what is currently believed to be happening on more web servers today. Some programmers have viewed Google as uncomfortable to rank newer websites until they have proven their viability to exist for more than a period of "x" months. Thus the term "Sandbox " applies to the idea that all new websites have their ratings placed in a holding tank until such time is deemed appropriate before a ranking can commence.

samiam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 05:28 AM   #15
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Google Sandbox exists in reality and I firmly believe in it. If it does not exist in reality then why some website remain vanished for months despite high page rank and good inbound links?

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 10:29 AM   #16
Mozzy

Send a message via MSN to Mozzy

Great article! I don't know anything about serach engine lingo or how it really works but understanding the article as best I can I can verify that the sandbox is a myth. Within weeks, and it may have been sooner, our service came up number one or two in Google upon entering keywords related to our industry. We're a very niche market so it makes perfect sense why the nine month delay isn't quite accurate.

Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 04:39 AM   #17
apostilleus

Default Is There Really a Google Sandbox?

here are two major problems with this release from my perspective. The first is that Google did not release the sites on all datacenters, suggesting a trial or test period was involved to decide whether to keep the changes that were made on 02/04, or whether to roll back to the previous results. The second major issue is that Google themselves released these sites, rather than individual SEOs or SEOs as a group finding a solution to the problem. This means that SEOs still have no known solutions to the sandbox, although we can speculate and hypothesize on what helped certain sites escape, while others remain 'boxed'.

apostilleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 05:26 AM   #18
MooMan

If its a new site and you gradually build up the site incoming links than you should be fine, if its don't too quickly it can trigger a flag that puts your site on hold for the keywords for a number of months.

MooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 12:42 AM   #19
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Your article is certainly thought provoking but what I have learned during my five year stint as SEO executive is that Sandbox or no sandbox, you to continue your link building tactics and that is all.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 03:27 PM   #20
amsun10

what is google sandbox? i am a newbie

thanks

amsun10 is offline   Reply With Quote