Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th November 2009, 01:30 PM   #1
annalaurabrown

Default 10 Questions To Ask Before You Start Publishing Your Newsletter

When publishing a newsletter it is crucial that you decide some key things before beginning. Here are 10 questions you need to ask yourself about your newsletter to help you get off to an excellent start.

1. How often am I going to publish? Some people publish every day, some once a month, some twice a month, and some once a week. It is important that you decide up front how often you will publish and then stick with your decision. Many people will want to know how often you publish before they even subscribe, and sticking to a consistent schedule can help you to develop relationships with your readers.

2. Am I going to send my emails in HTML, plain text or both? There are advantages and disadvantages to both and you really should decide how you are going to do things so that you can choose the right auto responder and plan out your newsletter layout.

3. What will be the main theme or topic of my newsletter? Although it is fine to deviate from the main theme once in a while, you really need to plan ahead and have a good idea about what you will cover before you start. It is also not a bad idea to even pre-write the first few issues before you have any subscribers.

4. What auto responder service am I going to use? Once you are using one, changing later is nearly impossible without losing a large number of subscribers. Therefore, you really need to choose well and wisely in the beginning.

5. How am I going to promote my newsletter? You really need to have a clear plan of action and at least five different methods that you will use to get subscribers.

6. What can I offer to entice people to join my list that is unique and of value to people? People get so much email that they will not join your newsletter list unless you offer them something of unique value and they must be convinced that you will offer them content that they want to read.

7. How can I develop relationships with the people who join my newsletter list? It is not good enough to only publish a newsletter with no interaction with your list. You must offer it, encourage it and give it in order to make your list thrive and be profitable.

8. What will I market to my list that people will be willing to pay for? Besides all that you offer for free, you also need to offer items or services that people can and will buy. Although you will likely produce new items later, you need to have at least one item right away that people can purchase.

9. How will I design my opt-in box and capture page? Your copywriting and design of this are crucial to building your list. No matter how great your newsletter content may be, if you cannot persuade people with your choice of words and web site design to sign up, then no one will.

10. Am I going to also publish my newsletter either in print or online? Many people because of the questionable deliverability of email, are now offering these options as well. Consider if your target market would benefit from either of these options.

annalaurabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:06 PM   #2
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

I'm liking this list, I've been meaning to start up a newletter myself but hadn't given it much thought, this just shows I'm nowhere near done planning it lol.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 01:39 AM   #3
joshep

I think you have given very good information about newsletter. After gone through your article i will start my newsletter promotion.

I think you will help me.

joshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
jose leonardo

Hello, really good things to think about. My problem is more basic and maybe harder to solve than this 10, I am selling stuff on the web and it is not my expertise, I mean, I work on marketing in real live but I am selling stuff on the internet, my news letter has to be about product reviews and give my customers ideas on good items to buy and how to use this things I am selling, but I don't have all that information...I am really getting frustrated because I know how important this is...I already have an autoresponder but have not yet filled up the blanks...any suggestions?

jose leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 12:13 AM   #5
David Morson

Default Nive tips,

Nice tactics given, I appreciate it.

David Morson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 01:05 PM   #6
WebGuruSteve

Default Newsletter Info

Great info! Thanks for sharing.

One of the key items is what you will be talking about in your newsletter. Be sure to stay focused on your niche. Do not stray too far from what your main niche is. Are you going to do interviews with other leaders in your field, write articles, have links to podcasts, have product reviews? All of these can be viable options if you stay focused on your niche.

WebGuruSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Danielle77

I have a question, is number 4 the autoresponser needed? I mean if I don't use one and answer manually to my e-mails, it will be bad? If I am answering the same day, I mean if I know I will be online and answer.

Danielle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 05:46 PM   #8
cards4change

What do you think about traditional paper newsletters? I've been thinking of starting one locally and just wonder if a traditional one might be better. I'm thinking of starting a small business newsletter with tips and resources that I can hand-deliver to local businesses to build a relationship with them.

What do you think?

cards4change is offline   Reply With Quote