Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th March 2010, 03:42 AM   #1
mekong-tours

Default Duplicate Content On Different Pages.

I have a system website, which has a great site lots of information,
I used many small, from a large content of the page.
All pages are logo, company information.

I want to ask it for affect seo pages - the content.
Comments are always welcome. for help.

mekong-tours is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:16 PM   #2
gotlivechat

Not sure if I understand your entire post but from the title I'll say this - Google doesn't like duplicate content. Does that answer your question?

Old 11th March 2010, 01:14 AM   #3
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com

Hi,

I assume you are talking about the two sites you own & are trying to promote in the footer of this thread. If that is the case lets analyze a page that has duplicate content to come to a better understanding of how Google values / devalues duplicate content:

You can see by this screen shot that Google has indexed both URL's Web Pages that have the same content; cooking classes.

And, you will see if you Google "Ho Chi Minh cooking class" and "Saigon cooking class" your website is found. The first you rank #1 (for the "exact keyword phrase") and the other position #8.

At first you might think Google is penalizing you for the later but if you look at the SERP results you will see the first is 702 and the second is 42,000. So you are ranking #8 just because there is more competition for the keyword "Saigon cooking class."

Conclusion:

Google does not view your web pages as 100% duplicate content. I am not saying that duplicate content is good to have but in this case it is not hurting you. I would change up the content as much as you can though.

Great Video On How Much Duplicate Content is Enough:

http://vimeo.com/8110399

Jeff

Old 11th March 2010, 04:24 AM   #4
franky123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebBizIdeas.com View Post
Hi,

I assume you are talking about the two sites you own & are trying to promote in the footer of this thread. If that is the case lets analyze a page that has duplicate content to come to a better understanding of how Google values / devalues duplicate content:

You can see by this screen shot that Google has indexed both URL's Web Pages that have the same content; cooking classes.

And, you will see if you Google "Ho Chi Minh cooking class" and "Saigon cooking class" your website is found. The first you rank #1 (for the "exact keyword phrase") and the other position #8.

At first you might think Google is penalizing you for the later but if you look at the SERP results you will see the first is 702 and the second is 42,000. So you are ranking #8 just because there is more competition for the keyword "Saigon cooking class."

Conclusion:

Google does not view your web pages as 100% duplicate content. I am not saying that duplicate content is good to have but in this case it is not hurting you. I would change up the content as much as you can though.

Great Video On How Much Duplicate Content is Enough:

http://vimeo.com/8110399

Jeff
Most of the webmasters including me have lots of question regarding duplicate content but you explained in details. Your submitted video link about duplicate content is also very helpful. Thanks to share this information with us.

franky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 03:59 AM   #5
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Im not sure if I understand you author. Can you clear up things a bit? People are confused..LOL

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 04:41 PM   #6
PhiladelphiaSEO

Duplicate content only effects a site if you have the same content on the same domain.

PhiladelphiaSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 12:54 AM   #7
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com

HI PhiladelphiaSEO,

Can you please clarify what you said when you mean "no affect?"

Jeff

Old 20th March 2010, 06:38 AM   #8
eduprograms

Duplicate Contents are mostly considered as the spam messages. But if the duplication is due to some necessary reason, certainly it would not effect your website at all.

eduprograms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 02:11 PM   #9
ecommerceguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaSEO View Post
Duplicate content only effects a site if you have the same content on the same domain.
In regards to being penalized I agree, however, in the sense of SERPS, I think there is usually considered an "original", and the rest is duplicate.

Now this may have changed, but when I ran my business selling board games a few years ago, a new product would come out, and within 3 months there would be about 200 sites all posting the manufactures supplied web copy. Specific enough to tell that the content is essentially the same (selling Apples to Apples game for example). What I learned over time is that your best benefit in this situation is to be an authority site / very large site with lots of clout. Since this is not the case for most of us here, the next best thing is to be the FIRST site google indexes with that content set. I would bug my vendors for copy when a new product was coming, and often put my copy up before the manufacture got it up on their site. This was extremely helpful to me to gain early first rankings for product titles, and usually stay in top 5, when competing against amazon, target, and hundreds of smaller (but bigger than me) competitors.

Not sure if this applies to you, but I can tell you that Google does seem to favor first to market (indexed) and domain age when sorting between different domains with essentially the same content. Hope this helps.

ecommerceguru is offline   Reply With Quote