Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd September 2010, 10:00 PM   #21
MartinJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgogitrev View Post
There's tons of mistakes that our customer INSISTED that we do. The most memorable one was to have a double decker booth with a plexiglass floor. The director in charge of the both design said that the booth had to have it.

It didn't break, it didn't scuff, but the director forgot that not only can you see below, you can see up as well. People were sitting underneath the double decker with camera phones waiting for girls with skirts to go upstairs. Traffic was great until people started catching on... but the people that were coming to the booth weren't interested in the product.
That's really funny,aha

MartinJose is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th September 2010, 07:34 AM   #22
cfoservices

I hear the biggest mistake at a trade show is a lack of follow up on the leads. Here you are spending all of this time and money and then you don't follow up on the prospects that you found at the show.

I used to have a meeting after the trade show to write down what improvements can be made the following year.

Old 12th September 2010, 04:50 PM   #23
ard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentrepot View Post
The biggest mistake I've made is not having a strategy w/ clear goals in place to strive for when at the show. A little planning has gone a long way, and the time I didn't have any defined objectives I left feeling as though I had just wasted a lot of time and money.
You should not fee bad, this happens so often especially to first timers. My first trade show, I simply did not know what to expect. Over time, and lots of money wasted, you learn what to expect and how to offer your product in the right way. My first trade show was for a company that sold toys. We were expecting large quantity sales from vendors. We did not expect so many visitors that were interested in drop shipments. You can pretty much guess that it was a waste of time and money but the following year, we were prepared and had a program for those small business owners that only wanted a case instead of a container.

ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:59 AM   #24
ComitSteve

Don't put all the emphasis on the exhibit structure itself, instead focus on attractive graphics that will bring the traffic in droves.

ComitSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 03:49 PM   #25
davidm4210

By far the biggest mistake companies make is skimping on the Exhibit itself. No matter how good the product or the salesman...the booth itself is the first and biggest impression.

WIth this economy a lot of clients are asking how to save money. Trust me...this is not the way to save money. Stay in a cheaper hotel, pack a lunch, bring one less employee but do not make the critical mistake of having a less than stellar Exhibit.

davidm4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 02:41 AM   #26
ExpoGlobal

Lack of follow up on the leads... and the fact that they don't have a mechanism in place to capture leads.

If they get them into an autoresponder email service then they can segment them and easily email them as they wish.

ExpoGlobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 01:26 AM   #27
b2btradeshows

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm3 View Post
What are some of the biggest trade show mistakes you could make, or have made?
Hi,
According to me given below are some of the primary but yet very important reasons of why mistakes occur or happen in big trade shows:
[/list]Failure to implement a consistent marketing plan
[/list]Failure to set goals for your trade show experience
[/list]Failure to give attendees and other exhibitors a reason to visit your booth
[/list]Failure to follow up with the leads you generate.

b2btradeshows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Mike12

The biggest mistake is always attending the same shows because you always have and all your competitors do. Define success (exposure, leads, etc) and then measure that metric for each show (to the degree possible). Most companies go for "leads" but if they would actually track sales $ vs. the cost to attend, they would be surprised how low the ROI of some of their shows are. When you add the cost of personnel to attend, the ROI can get really ugly.

Mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 04:32 PM   #29
tradeshowdesign

Default Skimping on Graphic Design

I see thousands of trade show displays a year and the biggest mistake I see is when it comes to skimping on graphic design. Exhibitors spend tens of thousands of dollars or more on the hardware, show space, and other expenses and then are unwilling to spend another six or seven hundred on graphic design. It's like buying a new pair of shoes but refusing to buy a pair of socks to keep them from stinking. I never understand it.

Old 23rd March 2011, 02:01 PM   #30
Am Img Displays

Default Good graphics are REALLY important!

Several posters mention using good graphics - this is really important. People wandering the aisles of a trade show are not going to stop and read all the words some clients want to put on their displays and banner stands!

Instead, put up a great image that catches their eye and arouses their curiousity.

And have a plan for screening visitors to catch the potential customers.
and have someone in the booth that knows the product and is good at chatting with people.

and...and..bottom line, there is a lot more to having a successful trade show than just showing up, sitting down and reading the newspaper

Am Img Displays is offline   Reply With Quote