Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd February 2005, 07:45 PM   #11
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

It is nice to see the outpouring of ideas.

I hope that you take notes as you prepare, and let us know what you try out and how well it works.

If you have a chance to visit a couple of expos yourself before then (don't know if you are near an exposition center or not), you might even get some ideas from personal observation.

Old 3rd February 2005, 03:38 AM   #12
Old Welsh Guy

Whenever the mam or dad goes away, the kids always want to rummage through the goodies bag to see hwat is 'in it for them'.

I have found that by giving away something that has a value but has to be given away, you are getting double the exposure for your gift. I would seriously consider a small giveaway that a child can use, as everyone has a child, a niece, nephew or special friend of a naighbour etc.

Old 3rd February 2005, 11:30 AM   #13
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Old Welsh Guy-Great Idea!

Thanks so much. I never thought of a giveaway for a child. We'll go look now! Thanks!

bragadocchio-

I don't live near an expo center but I will share what I learn after the Expo. I will definitely be visiting every exhibitor there (my colleagues can man the booth).

Thanks!

Michele

Old 3rd February 2005, 12:12 PM   #14
wayne h

Hi Michele.

You have the right idea.

Get out of your booth and visit other displays and see what is working for them...and what is not working at all.

There might even be some free to very low cost ideas that you might be able to incorporate into your dispay immediately, right at show itself.

The contacts you make at the show, for future joint ventures, suppliers, and affiliates are some of the hidden benefits of the show. Most people think only in terms of customers, but contacts are equally as important. Perhaps even more so.

Try sending out an e-mail blast to all of your current customers and associates on your mailing list. Tell them that if they arrive at your booth, you will have a special gift waiting for them. Many people will take you up on it. Remember, having current customers at your booth can supply valuable testimonials and viral marketing for you via word of mouth.

Send a press release to your local media about attending the show. Find a potential news angle like "local business attends national trade show" or "how a small business can compete with the big guys at a show", etc. The press coverage will send people to your booth that would not have even considered your business otherwise.

All my best on your success.

Wayne Hurlbert

wayne h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 05:39 PM   #15
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Thanks Wayne!

Appreciate the thoughts. I'll be meeting with my colleagues tomorrow to work on our battle plan . And we'll have lots to discuss thanks to you guys sharing your thoughts and experience. I appreciate it!

Michele

Old 12th February 2005, 04:07 PM   #16
tmagoots

Default A clever idea?

My new business is also participating in...a Women's Expo in March. Our budget is really limited. Our goal is nothing more than exposure. I own a retail store that is off the beaten path and even though it's been around for 7 years (I just purchased it in December) not everyone knows we exist. So, we won't be selling merchandise, we simply want to let people know about us and get our name out there and get names for our email newsletter. Having said ALL of that-- we came up with this idea:

People who come to our booth are going to get a pack of gum. Why gum? Because it's something that almost everyone wants/needs AND even if they throw it in their purse/bag, chances are they will revisit said pack of gum for several days at least until they finish it out. It gets better. We're using the brand "Extra" and have printed a sticker (address label, nothing too fancy) that says, "Need some EXTRA help with your wedding invitations?" call The Paper Center at blah blah blah and we also printed our website on it. I went to THE DOLLAR STORE and bought multi-packs of the gum for CHEAP! I will let you know how it works out but I did think it was pretty good. Now, I'm in Michigan so if you're going to the same expo, you can't have my idea! Good Luck!

tmagoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 05:41 PM   #17
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum tmagoots!

Old 14th September 2005, 01:34 AM   #18
cherylyn1

Default Looking for Expo Ideas Also

We have just started a new Errand Service Business and we have been invited to participate in a business to business expo. So, I am looking for as many inexpensive expo ideas that I can find. As well as ways to decorate my booth. I have never been to an expo and im alittle nervous and excited. I love some of the ideas that I have seen so far. The gum idea is just want i needed. As we are selling giving you back your time....I would have never thought of that. Im looking for ideas that would express the importance of having more time to do what you want to do, by letting me run the everyday errands that take away all of your time. we offer a variety of services from bill paying, pet sitting and grocery shopping and many more. I look forward to hearing everyones ideas.
Thanks
Cherylyn

cherylyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2005, 06:56 AM   #19
Robert
Administrator

Hi Cherylyn! Welcome to the forum. I love your business! That is a service I imagine everyone could use at some point.

What is the business expo you will be attending? I'd like to add it to our Conferences and Seminars forum. Also, do you know what your booth number will be?

Be sure and add your URL to your signature file so you can get some extra exposure for your site. You can find instructions on adding a signature file here:

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...hread.php?t=56

If you need any help, be sure and ask me.

Old 14th September 2005, 07:55 PM   #20
mktgbiz

Cherylyn1
If I were you I would give out magnetic business cards at the trade show.
My main business is selling these type of logoed items.

You also might want to try pencils, stadium cups, pens, etc - all with your logo - they're all pretty inexpensive.

You might want to do this with your current clients as well so it'll be easy to remember and refer you to others!

Just my 2 cents............

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote