Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th March 2008, 03:29 AM   #1
Anthony01

Default Cold Calling Works

I have really found (I sell printing-business cards flyers etc) cold calling on businesses to work well, it has got me about 85% of my customers. Its a bit nerve wracking at first, but once you get on top of it, and providing your selling something they need and use at a competitive price its amazing how many sales you can get. Anybody else a cold calling fan here would love to hear any methods or scripts you use

Anthony01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th March 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Anthony, the connotation many have with cold calling is very negative. But, I'm with you. I also have had some good successes cold calling over the years.

Old 14th March 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Anthony01

so what type of business do you run and whereabouts are you located? Im in Brisbane Australia

Old 14th March 2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

I am in the United States. I spend time between Colorado and Florida.

For the past ten years I've done seo, so over the years I have worked my way out of a reason to do cold calling. Before that I was involved in industrial sales, market research and hotels/resorts.

The cold calling book I recently mentioned in the post below of recommended books is pretty basic, but good at providing a process of putting a routine together with scripts, etc.

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...60&postcount=3

Old 15th March 2008, 03:34 AM   #5
Anthony01

Smile

What do you think about cold calling on larger corporations-they are quite difficult to get past the secretary to the person you can sell to-have you done any of this and any ideas-small to medium businesses I have had good success selling to, but as yet i have not successfully nailed a big sucker but hey im persistant

Old 15th March 2008, 03:40 AM   #6
Anthony01

I must clarify that i actually go and see the business at their premises door knock if you like-bit hard to palm you off when you are there lol im not one for the telephone sale so much-although i know it does work

Old 15th March 2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

The book I mentioned gives some specific scenarios regarding that. I'm not sure I understand your process, but the basic premise I have followed is to use the call to set up a meeting in the future when things can be discussed. That's all, nothing more.

So it goes, call, meet, sell.

I have done well with some large corporations. Fortune 50-100 level here in the United States. Regarding the gate keeper, again read the book, but the idea is to make it a warm call versus a cold call. For example, I could call one of your contacts and say that I was talking to Anthony and he thought it would be good for the two of us to get in touch regarding whatever I was doing (scripted of course).

The other aspect with the large corporations is being positioned to do so. Do you have a lot of solid references of smaller companies. Those lead to a solid based of references of medium size companies. Those then in turn lead to experiences with the bigger companies based on my experiences. So when you do get that meeting with the bigger corporation, you have solid references to stand on that they will consider comparable. Once you have those relationships and break through, the same techniques can be used with calling and networking and thus it does get easier with the larger size clients based on my experiences.

I would consider reading that book, and looking at your overall process. Use the initial call, to only set the first meeting. The book goes into great detail regarding why to use this approach.

Old 18th March 2008, 04:44 PM   #8
sdk1988
VIP Contributor

I have seen hear in the sales department, cold calling works - it's not a glamorous, and there are alot of no's but sometimes you hit it big! I think too, with adding the personal touch, people may be reverting back to wanting to take those calls.

sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 03:38 PM   #9
alexbwurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony01 View Post
I must clarify that i actually go and see the business at their premises door knock if you like-bit hard to palm you off when you are there lol im not one for the telephone sale so much-although i know it does work
Wow... when i first started reading your thread, I thought you meant making calls over the phone. Knocking on doors? Here's me taking my hat off to you

I haven't done the knocking on door thing since selling newspaper subscriptions in my pre-teens! I wonder what it's like where you're from, maybe the people are more welcoming. I don't know for sure because I've never done it - but I'm under the impression that in the larger cities people aren't that happy to see you when you just drop in. I could be wrong.

I've actually become pretty good at Cold Calling over the phone though. Even though I rarely do it - I'm pretty good at building relationships if I have a good value proposition. Anyone familiar with Unlock the Game? That was a good program for cold calling.

These days though, with the internet I believe there are much better ways to leverage your time. More and more people know where to go when ever they are looking for something (internet-google), all you need to do is position yourself to be there when they are looking. Position yourself as the expert the person who can solve their problem and satisfy their need - they will throw money at you all day long! lol...

A lot easier than trying to convince someone how good something they didn't realize they needed is, or asking people 1 by 1 if they want what you have. Don't get me wrong, I know people who've made serious money doing the door to door thing. Just don't know any who are doing it right now...

alexbwurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Anthony01

I agree with you in terms of if you can position yourself in the right spot to fulfill peoples needs you can make money off them but this is where adaptive selling comes in in calling on businesses -particulary if you sell something like printing like myself(a comodity they pretty much are forced to use even if its only business cards or a sign for thier shop)- you simply ask them what they are using at the moment and they will proceed to tell you how good thier methods are and you simply in your presentation give them a slightly improved version of what they have described at a cheaper rate-works very well