Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd March 2015, 01:48 AM   #1
hasnat.csit

Send a message via Skype™ to hasnat.csit

Default It's Really True ?

Everyone tell me that affiliate marketing is the best way to earn money Now this time. I don't know about it.

hasnat.csit is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:06 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I don't know if it qualifies as the best way to make money. It is a way of making money, if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

In reality, something like 95% of affiliates never generate even a little bit of money from their affiliate efforts. The problem is, they only put in the minimal amount of work -- simply reposting the materials they receive from the affiliate sponsor and engaging in useless "link building" activities such as blog comment spam, forum spam and classified ad directory posts.

There are only a relatively few people who actually make money from affiliate marketing (and most of them are the people who create the affiliate products in the first place, not the affiliates trying to sell them). The affiliates who make money are the ones who take the time to write original content and do some creative (and useful) marketing.

--Torka

Old 28th March 2015, 10:45 AM   #3
kdaniel171
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
I don't know if it qualifies as the best way to make money. It is a way of making money, if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

In reality, something like 95% of affiliates never generate even a little bit of money from their affiliate efforts. The problem is, they only put in the minimal amount of work -- simply reposting the materials they receive from the affiliate sponsor and engaging in useless "link building" activities such as blog comment spam, forum spam and classified ad directory posts.

There are only a relatively few people who actually make money from affiliate marketing (and most of them are the people who create the affiliate products in the first place, not the affiliates trying to sell them). The affiliates who make money are the ones who take the time to write original content and do some creative (and useful) marketing.

--Torka

Torka is right. Affiliate marketing is harder to do than what the hype would have you believe. By putting in a lot of efforts and understanding how it works is somewhat of a guarantee that you'll earn money, but don't dream of making millions of dollars on the spot - that's just silly.

Here are some of the best affiliate marketing sites:

1. Commission Junction
2. Clickbank
3. ShareASale
4. Amazon Associates
5. eBay Partnet Network
6. E-Junkie
7. DigiResults
8. Google Affiliate Network
9. Linkshare

Enjoy!

Old 30th March 2015, 08:39 AM   #4
hasnat.csit

Send a message via Skype™ to hasnat.csit

Thanks for your good advice.

Last edited by torka; 30th March 2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Removed link - not allowed per forum policy.
hasnat.csit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 12:32 PM   #5
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to MarketingDoctor

Arrow In any “boom” industry, who is REALLY making the money?

Think about “boom” industries of the past, such as the Gold Rushes of the 19th century.

Tens of thousands of hopeful people would rush to the latest, greatest, hottest, richest location in the hope of making their fortune.

But who REALLY made all the money from the Gold Rushes?

It wasn't the average gold miner.

More often than not it was…
  • the hardware merchants selling picks and shovels, pans, explosives, and other supplies needed by miners
  • the bar owners, gambling hall owners, brothel owners, dance hall owners, opium den owners, etc helping miners to celebrate their finds or drown their sorrows… usually at inflated prices
  • gold assayers and buyers who often manipulated prices and values to their advantage
  • owners of mining leases who sold claims — and often "salted" those claims with false "proof" (like a tiny nugget strategically placed in a slag heap, or gold dust fired from a shotgun into rocks to create "proof"
In the Internet "Gold Rush" it's the Internet Marketing "Gurus" — those self-proclaimed, second-, third- and fourth-tier "experts" — the digital "carpet baggers" and "snake oil salesman" flogging cure-alls like "magic formulas", "silver bullet" solutions and "push button software" that delivers overnight riches with no time, effort or self-discipline required.

They build their mouth-watering "visions" of how different things will be for their victims once they buy their BSOs ("Bright, Shiny Objects" or B.S. Offers), and ply them with irresistible offers using false hope, false scarcity and false urgency.

Even right now, in 2015, it's these predators and parasites who relieve their marks and suckers of their hard-earned cash.

Yes, there are legitimate entrepreneurs who sell genuine solutions to problems that actually work, but far too many BSOs are sold on hype and testimonials from mindless hopefuls who have faith that those products will work for them, despite their previous failures.

Call me a cynic, but I've been around too long and seen this pattern repeated endlessly for more than half a century, including the “Pyramid Selling Schemes" boom of the 1960and 70s, the “investment property” boom of the 1990s, the "Dot Com" bubble and more.

Last edited by MarketingDoctor; 30th March 2015 at 12:39 PM.
MarketingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 05:14 AM   #6
eletom

If you could sell somebody else's ****, with a lot of work, why don't you simply sell your own stuff and make money? That is the question.

eletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 06:36 PM   #7
CfDoodles

Interesting post. One of my side businesses is mostly affiliate. Like people have said above its not a million dollar business, but it does pay decent. It helps that my niche is in an area that I enjoy.

Basically this is my model (feel free to copy):

Develop a blog. Use a quality theme. Select a topic that you love maybe golf, maybe cooking, etc. Find a problem in that niche area. So for golf, it could be back pain for golfers or always slicing your drive. Write a quality top 3 ways to solve that problem article.

At the same time build a facebook fan page for your website. Share your link on your facebook page. Then with your personal account join facebook golfer groups, engage with them. Share your post. Notice I said share not SPAM.

Find other forums in your niche. Join them. Engage with your audience. Possibly slip in a website mention or put it in your sig. Build real relationships with people.

Continue adding top 3 or Best ways articles on your blog. Continue doing this every day for a month. While you are writing articles find offers that you may consider using. This can be on a number of affiliates mentioned above.

Lets say you go the Amazon route. After a month of building your blog, your facebook page write an article like Top 3 drivers to hit farthest, straightest drive. The article will be a full review of 3 great drivers from amazon. Within your review you link to amazon with your affiliate link. Again share on your page, etc.

Do about 80% high quality blogging and about 20% blog/marketing and you should do well.

CfDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 03:36 AM   #8
eletom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfDoodles View Post
Interesting post. One of my side businesses is mostly affiliate. Like people have said above its not a million dollar business, but it does pay decent. It helps that my niche is in an area that I enjoy.

Basically this is my model (feel free to copy):

Develop a blog. Use a quality theme. Select a topic that you love maybe golf, maybe cooking, etc. Find a problem in that niche area. So for golf, it could be back pain for golfers or always slicing your drive. Write a quality top 3 ways to solve that problem article.

At the same time build a facebook fan page for your website. Share your link on your facebook page. Then with your personal account join facebook golfer groups, engage with them. Share your post. Notice I said share not SPAM.

Find other forums in your niche. Join them. Engage with your audience. Possibly slip in a website mention or put it in your sig. Build real relationships with people.

Continue adding top 3 or Best ways articles on your blog. Continue doing this every day for a month. While you are writing articles find offers that you may consider using. This can be on a number of affiliates mentioned above.

Lets say you go the Amazon route. After a month of building your blog, your facebook page write an article like Top 3 drivers to hit farthest, straightest drive. The article will be a full review of 3 great drivers from amazon. Within your review you link to amazon with your affiliate link. Again share on your page, etc.

Do about 80% high quality blogging and about 20% blog/marketing and you should do well.
Sounds like a normal online selling technique. And sounds like a good one. But still do not understand why work for amazon? If you can sell those golf stuff, make some calls or emails to the golf stuff manufacturers and start your own shop. Why is affiliation better?

Old 30th July 2015, 05:58 PM   #9
CfDoodles

I dont know if it is better per say but it has a much smaller budget needed to begin and the business plan is simpler. Simpler isnt always better, but it helps people get their feet wet. It also serves as a way to see if there is a market before investing time and resources. Amazon has built a brand that people trust. So its easy for someone to review items and then re-direct to a place that people already know and use. It is harder to build your own brand.

CfDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 05:05 AM   #10
eletom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfDoodles View Post
I dont know if it is better per say but it has a much smaller budget needed to begin and the business plan is simpler. Simpler isnt always better, but it helps people get their feet wet. It also serves as a way to see if there is a market before investing time and resources. Amazon has built a brand that people trust. So its easy for someone to review items and then re-direct to a place that people already know and use. It is harder to build your own brand.
Sounds reasonable. You got me with that. I just feel like that the money earned for affiliation is not really enough for the time invested in this business. But maybe.