Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th October 2009, 12:55 AM   #1
ngseosept

I haven't tried video submission, but from what I've read, they take a lot more time and effort. If you make an informative video and speak to your target audience well, it can be a very good promotional method.

ngseosept is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th December 2009, 07:22 AM   #2
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a lot about that, and so far I see it really may be very helpful, so I'm thinking of making it

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
abbychar

The other reason that it works so well is that if you submit your video to Youtube for example, then you will get a very quick and powerful ranking in Google. (Since Google rates Youtube and video in general very highly and indexes it probably once a minute or more).

Get the keyword right and it's actually possible to rank in the top 3 within a day or so.

abbychar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 05:08 PM   #4
plusplustutor

It takes a lot to produce a good video. But it is definitely worth it. It gets clients both directly (video talking about business) and indirectly (improved Google rank).

Old 28th December 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
The other reason that it works so well is that if you submit your video to Youtube for example, then you will get a very quick and powerful ranking in Google
Keep in mind most outbound links on YouTube use the nofollow attribute rendering the link void of link popularity which means any link sitting on Youtube pointing to your site will drive traffic but nothing else.

I wrote this post recently, it addresses what's being talked about here:

Don't Use YouTube For Building YouLinks

As a link builder Iím not enamoured with YouTube and do not recommend using it as a primary way to build links or as an integral part of your SEO program.

Why?

Videos on YouTube are on YouTube so any optimization effort you implement helps YouTube and not your website/pages.

YouTube contributes to the pinking of the ĎNet/Web (uses nofollow) so any link you insert to guide people back to your site passes no link popularity.

While traffic from YouTube can be beneficial, you have to optimize the content on YouTube like any other in order for people to find it. This is time better spent elsewhere.

Efforts to make a video go viral begin with the webmaster, not YouTube

Itís doubtful youíll build a brand following on YouTube unless the public is already aware of your brand.

By-n-large people look for information on a search engine first, they donít search on YT for a place to buy baseball cards. There is a reason Google has become a verb and YouTube a pastime.
But the number one reason?

YouTube results bump web pages down in the general search results and web pages make sales , videos donít!

Want to see what I mean? Look here, here, and here and notice how the videos are all ranking in the top five but the sites they represent Ė donít. Yes the exposure is nice but where is there opportunity to make a sale?? Throw in local search results and images showing up and it can take a while to get to a static search result. If your goal is to make your website an authority in your industry/niche, you should house and promote the videos on your site, not YouTube. This will help with algorithmic authority, branding and traffic.

So is using YouTube to build SEO links a wasted effort? Pretty much which is why I donít recommend using it to increase your link popularity but I wouldnít totally discount using the number two search engine on the Net to build awareness. Consider doing this:

Make shorter versions of your videoís and insert on YouTube, longer vid stays on your site

Create those shorter versions as teasers and as a lead-in to promotions/information on your site

Be sure the start and ending frame of the vid include the URL to your website
Optimize your YouTube listing with your keywords

Be the first one to leave a comment/review under your vid, include the URL to your website and explain a longer more detailed version of the vid exists on your website

Encourage everyone you know to drop a comment/review on the video (re/views help push your vid to the top for your keywords)

Create a video area on your site just as you would a media room and promote it to the media, your customers, vendors etc.

Make the vidís on your website available through Creative Commons, make full descriptions embedded with kw rich links part of your attribution.

You need to decide whatís best for your site and if having YouTube videoís come up in the serps for your keywords is your goal, power to you. But if youíre in business to make a profit and plan to use video to attract links, know the links you point at YouTube will have little to no effect on your overall rankings.

Use YouTube or any image/audio hosting site wisely and they can be your greatest ally and not a ranking enemy.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 03:57 AM   #6
dorothykinder

Hi Debra,

I think what you have said about Youtube is perfectly right,. since i too felt that when we work for our videos to get published in You tube its like we are promoting You tube but not our site.

dorothykinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I am all for using youtube as a way to attract attention and even as a reputation management tool but, algorithmically it doesn't help as an inbound link builder.

Hosting vid's on your site can be cumbersome from a hosting standpoint but I also believe if you're in business to do business, hosting shouldn't be an issue.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #8
IsaacB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
I am all for using youtube as a way to attract attention and even as a reputation management tool but, algorithmically it doesn't help as an inbound link builder.

Hosting vid's on your site can be cumbersome from a hosting standpoint but I also believe if you're in business to do business, hosting shouldn't be an issue.
Thank you so much for your input! Your earlier post really enlightened me to start moving my videos away from youtube, and using youtube as more of a promotional tool or gateway.

I really didnt think about it... But my hard work has been helping youtube more than my website.

Old 27th January 2012, 03:03 PM   #9
daveb1
VIP Contributor

I think video sharing is a huge part of marketing and is a great way to advertise and get your company name out there. Here are just a few of the video sharing websites that I have utilized in the past:

PICASA
ORKUT
YFROG
BOX
FLICKR
KEWEGO
TINYPIC
DROPBOX
DROPSHOTS
FRIENDFEED
HYVES
IMAGESHACK
JAIKU
KODAKGALLERY
LINKEDIN
MOBYPICTURE
PHOTOBUCKET
PLAXO
TUMBLR
YOUTUBE
TWITTER
BLOGGER
FACEBOOK
GOOGLE BUZZ
VIDDLER
REVVER
VIMEO
SMUGMUG
HOWCAST
GODTUBE
METACAFE
VEOH
YAHOOMOVIES
5MIN
AMAZON
ANIBOOM

I hope this list helps and any other video tips and tricks people want to share are greatly appreciated!

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Phil Comforthos

Debra, thanks for your advice there. I too am soon to make a YT video and I'll take on everything you've said.

Got couple of questions though... You linked article, very good, but its from 2009 - does it all still apply today in 2012?

And, when you say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
Efforts to make a video go viral begin with the webmaster, not YouTube
...you mean that the fact of having a video is useless if the video is not very good?

Thanks!

Phil Comforthos is offline   Reply With Quote