Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th February 2008, 12:55 AM   #1
bulkorderprint

Default Site Submission & SEO

My site is still in the developmental stage, but I am planning on opening for operation within the next few weeks. My question is, how often can you submit your site to search engines to increase ranks before you get penalized and removed? How long does it take before my site appears on search results?

bulkorderprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th February 2008, 05:24 AM   #2
veikoh

Practically you do not need to submit your site to search engines at all as the better practise will be promote your site thru links which will increase your PR too. Anyway you should sumbit your sitemap (not a site) to search engines only once. They will start to crawl your site anyway and depending the frequency of new content they can do it several times in a day.
This does not mean that you are visible in top position immediatly with desired keywords.
It has been taken for me around 24 hours after I have posted new article to get search engine traffic to it as I use RSS feed and actively market my site. For static sites it has been usually week-two.

veikoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 12:54 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Submitting won't do anything to increase your rankings. All it does (at best) is to get the search engines to take a look at your pages.

Once your pages are in a search engine's index, resubmitting to that search engine has no effect, positive or negative (other than wasting your time).

--Torka

Old 3rd March 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Interstellar

I found that submitting to search engines once is all it takes - if you keep doing it they will see it as you spanning them. You might also want to make a site map for google and yahoo to indedx all your pages better - it works great especially if you update a lot of content...

Interstellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 02:28 PM   #5
cashprior

1st) Submitting your website to a search engine won't raise your rankings.

Manage your sitemap from within Google webmaster tools, and only re-submit your xml sitemap when you change your links, etc.

To gain higher positions, link building is one of the best ways of doing it, along with having a properly SEOed page/s.

David C.

cashprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Sesimi

Send a message via Skype™ to Sesimi

Install a blog to your site, write a posting every few days. Open an account on feedburner add your site and it will do the work for you.

Sesimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 02:16 PM   #7
viper_one
VIP Contributor

I submitted to 'hundreds of sites' service, but it's funny that MSN wouldn't acknowledge me in a search today.

Old 8th June 2008, 08:40 AM   #8
bdorland

Also be careful with search engine submission services or software. I used to use WebCEO to submit new sites to 50-60 search engines all at once, but the amount of spam you will start receiving due to the submission process is rediculous. Maybe others have had better experiences, but thought I'd throw that out...

So, to recap, don't submit your site through the traditional submission forms. Start building links to your new site in forum signatures, blog comments, etc. and SE's will find your site in no time. You'll also want to utilize Google's Webmaster Central and Yahoo's Site Explorer to manage your sitemap feeds, your robot.txt file, and in general, keep tabs on your site's status in those two major search engines.

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 06:29 AM   #9
redmascot

In my view submitting to a website is of no use anymore .For fast indexing article submission or getting back link from any popular website is the best way.

redmascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 01:48 PM   #10
cpr
VIP Contributor

Agreed with all above, no need to waste time submitting to main SEs. Instead, submit sites to directories. I've found this to be somewhat beneficial, you may find others on this forum suggest not to submit to directories though. I honestly don't know which is best.

Links from PR3+ sites will get your pages indexed right away.

Good luck.