Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th July 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
u198965

Default How Does One Start an Online Pharmacy?

Hi All,

I am glad that I found this forum after a few days searching online trying to get ideas on how to start an online business.

I always wanted to be a pharmacist, but I got a BA degree in computer instead due to financial and time constrain.

I know owning your own business is very demanding since I am involving in a restaurant business myself. I want to get out from the restaurant business and want to do some thing that does not have to deal with inventory (if possible), spoilage, etc. Something that people will always need and not out of demand.

Is it legal to have an online pharmacy? If yes, how or where do I get it start? What are the pros and cons?

I read some info online; it seems very tough due to the government regulation and is scary to do an online pharmacy. I paused and thought that maybe it is a bad idea. But another thought, I believe that as long as I practice good ethics and honest business, the business (and I) should be ok. I have no medical or pharmacy background.

Please feel free to post your thoughts. Your suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Please take care,
TU

u198965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:49 PM   #2
mktgbiz

When I reply to these types of questions I try not to think (don't laugh) rather I try to let what reaction comes quickly to my moind be my response.

And my first respose would be where would people pick up there prescriptions if you had an online pharmacy?

I'm not sure about the online pharmacy......too many questions running through my mind.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 02:06 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

There are a lot of legal issues that need to be resolved, depending on which country or countries you want to sell in.

Without a medical degree and not being a pharmacist, one of the principal requirements will most likely be that you must have a doctor or pharmacist on staff to supervise the filling of all prescriptions. But that's just a start...

This is not a business to enter into lightly. You will need to maintain quality control, you'll need a way to insure that the prescriptions you're filling are valid before you ship out the medications, and you'll need LOTS of malpractice/liability insurance. You'll be dealing with medications that can affect people's heath and their lives.

If you plan to run a legitimate, legal pharmacy, it will be very difficult and expensive to get started. You'd better make sure it's something you really love and to which you are totally dedicated. This is not the kind of business to start on a whim.

If you're really serious about pursuing this as a business, I STRONGLY urge you to seek advice from a competent legal advisor who is familiar with the applicable regulations in EVERY jurisdiction in which you plan to sell.

--Torka

Old 28th July 2006, 12:46 PM   #4
ehrenpreis

Default Don't do it.

Online pharmacies have so many credibility problems that, from a marketing point of view, I think is impossible to overcome, unless you already own a national chain of well known pharmacies.

The key is to find a niche that you know a lot about, or are willing to learn.

People shop the Net because its convenient and they can find "hard-to-find" items not available locally.

Put on your thinking cap. Talk to friends and acquaintences. Find that one product that people want, but can't get.

Good luck! Its there for the taking.

ehrenpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
smjacob

Of course an online pharmacy is legal. As to where you should get started: the web-site is at most importance. Pros: you don't have to pay for rent, you have a non-stop order program, it's very easy to maintain. Cons: credibility.

smjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 11:56 PM   #6
jam1in

The best way to start an online pharmacy is to get a website done for it make people believe that it is a real pharmacy on which people can trust. As there is a lot of fake selling of medicines online so people feel it really hard to believe in such things.
Secondly, selling of medicines online without prescription is illegal so you have to arrange for online prescription. And you can check online for various pharmacies what all they are doing and surely you can get one of your own.
Best luck

jam1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 02:26 AM   #7
jimmy03

Default Re

One can easily start an online pharmacy, but there are some legal concerns which one has to be taken care, and should not violate these rules.
Also these pharmacies should provide medicines which are approved by FDA.

jimmy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 09:29 AM   #8
ted bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
When I reply to these types of questions I try not to think (don't laugh) rather I try to let what reaction comes quickly to my moind be my response.

And my first respose would be where would people pick up there prescriptions if you had an online pharmacy?

I'm not sure about the online pharmacy......too many questions running through my mind.

-
Dido, I think the pharmacy is a tough one. I wonder what kind of licenses your going to need?

ted bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 06:32 AM   #9
FL Management

an Online Pharmacy what is it what do you think how you gonna deliver medicine to your customers, what do you think when someone is dying he is going to open your website and order medicine and you gonna deliver it to him... is this what is your idea.

FL Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 10:29 AM   #10
justgowithit

Another consideration is payment processing.

Online pharmacies are very high risk businesses. Once you locate a processor that is willing to underwrite your account, you should expect to pay 7-10% or more of gross sales just to process payments.