Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Kate Moos

Default How Can I Check The Activity Of My Employees When I'm Out Of Office?

I don't know what they do all work day long. I feel that many of them spend much time idling and that's influenses the revenue of my company.

Kate Moos is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Ricky wejy

Oh. It's not only in your company. I have a small comp. and faces the same problems. Many of my employees have the permanent acces to the Internet, work with computers and spent a great deal of time surfing entertaining web sites, playing poker, sending private mails. I tried to overcome it using different methods: white boards with the list of goals and achievements, CCTV and so on. But resently I've heard from my colleague about the soft which monitors only the activity of employees, influences the productivity and so on. But unfortunately I have no links of the company that has developed it. If anybody knows something about it share it with me.

Ricky wejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

If you want to watch the physical activity in the office you want to get CCTV along with cameras. Sam's Club and Costco have several models for a decent price. You can even check the live video over Internet on your computer.

If you want to monitor their activity on the computer you can use the software that monitors computer and Internet activity. Search on Google for this you will find several of them. You might want to consult the lawyer for any legal issues; particularly with monitoring computer activity.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:05 PM   #4
sequoia payroll

a recent study was published that stated that employees spend 40% of the work day doing something other than work. It's not just you, it's an epidemic. Limit internet access. There is some good software out there that monitors internet usage. The new big issue is people texting on the cell phones or surfing the web from their phones. there is also software that monitors computer inactivity, which will give you an idea of how long a computer sits idle...

Old 24th July 2010, 05:45 AM   #5
rockroad005

Download the Odesk tracker, It is a software when in it will tracked the computer of the user from tiime un to screen shots, every 5 mins this software capture the screen of the user and save it on admins setting, if this software was intalled on all your employees computer you will see what they are up to because of the screenshots every 5minutes, aside from that, if the mouse won't move for a certain time it will shown idle on your settings. Hope this will help you. I've been using this software for the past years and all my workers are really working accordingly, ofcourse they don't want to get fired once they were caught doing nothing during work. This is really effecive one.

rockroad005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 07:33 PM   #6
SEOGOOROO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia payroll View Post
a recent study was published that stated that employees spend 40% of the work day doing something other than work. It's not just you, it's an epidemic. Limit internet access. There is some good software out there that monitors internet usage. The new big issue is people texting on the cell phones or surfing the web from their phones. there is also software that monitors computer inactivity, which will give you an idea of how long a computer sits idle...
i would agree with this.

if an employee is wasting time it's on the internet. i would talk to you IT guy to get many of the time big time wasting websites banned from use I.E. facebook, youtube, personal email, etc etc.

SEOGOOROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 07:22 PM   #7
davidbkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOGOOROO View Post
i would agree with this.

if an employee is wasting time it's on the internet. i would talk to you IT guy to get many of the time big time wasting websites banned from use I.E. facebook, youtube, personal email, etc etc.
Go with this rather than monitoring each URL. If you monitor each URL you're going to run into trust issues with your employees farther down the line. You don't want your employees to resent you.

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 02:23 AM   #8
Ricky wejy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia payroll View Post
a recent study was published that stated that employees spend 40% of the work day doing something other than work.
I know about this statistics too and all employers still pay for that time time too. And let's imagine what will happen if they will use 25% from 40% for work. It will be a significant contribution to the development of the company.
Personally I do not want use CCTV because I do not want to interfere into the relations and personal habits of my employees. I like the idea with the capture of screen activity but as far as I know those softs are spying on the employees and they know nothing about their boss monitoring their work activity. It can be good reason to sack the person but not to influence on his productivity and conscientious attitude to work. I'm for "open" relations.

Ricky wejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:00 PM   #9
SEOGOOROO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbkeegan View Post
Go with this rather than monitoring each URL. If you monitor each URL you're going to run into trust issues with your employees farther down the line. You don't want your employees to resent you.
very true. i think your employees would understand that youtube is blocked

SEOGOOROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 03:23 AM   #10
DeVroo

That is all true. But what your employers will do if you cut down net? They will spend spare time trying to hack protections or making a niose about your inquity. Remain unaltered internet access and add new tasks with additional fee for your employers. Twitter and Youtube activity will be still good measure of they commitment.

DeVroo is offline   Reply With Quote