Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2006, 12:14 PM   #21
earlpearl

Big Bill:

That is both clever and funny...and frustrating. I'm a parochial Yank. I don't comment on how local plays out in other nations but I have experience with these YP directories. My business paid for YP advertising for years.

YP have these set categories. Here in the States the older the version of YP the more bureaucratic they seem to be. They aren't updated to find new categories.

I agree its an anomaly and wierd that the search engines have a tie to old line directories that have limited descriptions. Bill Slawski has found other anomalies at seobythesea.com.

Personally, I like basic search with long tail geo descriptions much better.

earlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th July 2006, 02:25 PM   #22
mblumenthal

Here are some factors beyond references that seem to have some affect on ranking in Yahoo and Google Local in my experience:

Relevance...if the title of the business listing has Web Design in it and and the search if for web design...it helps. I don't see why the business wouldn't include what they do in their title along with their name as the local business center process doesn't preclude that.

Category: Also being sure to enter the business in the category that is being searched..and be in as many relevant categories as allowed...

Ratings...Ratings from the preferred community site that are low or high seem to count towards becoming the main authority..restaurants are vulnerable to this

These are my working theories...I have had more success with these things on Yahoo than on Google but have had some success on Google affecting rankings. I don't believe that these factors in anyway are more important that references. But they seem to carry some weight.

mblumenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 09:26 PM   #23
roof cleaning

This has been a great thread.
I think I am learning what it takes to be highly ranked in the Local Results.
This search on Google Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida has us on top of the local map and search results.
Our web site is also highly ranked for it's search terms on a world wide basis.
As SOON as we added our name to the Google Local Listing, it shot to the top.
I THINK Google "recognized an old friend" in saferoofcleaning.com
But, WHAT do I know

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 03:57 PM   #24
mitchell0327

Send a message via Yahoo to mitchell0327 Send a message via Skype™ to mitchell0327

Yeah this has been a really good thread. I had no idea about Google Maps(local) or how to get ranked. So this was a very eye opening thread for me. Thanks everyone!!

mitchell0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 03:36 PM   #25
roof cleaning

Hello Mitchell !
We are a service business located in Tampa, FL.
It is important to our business to be on the front page of our local listings.
ESPECIALLY since Google started displaying the local listings above the web sites.
I would URGE any other service business to get listed on Google Local ASAP

Tampa is a major market, and pretty soon All MARKETS WILL BE DISPLAYING local results above web sites.

You want to be where your customers can find you.
Google Local is a great, no cost way to start.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 11:16 PM   #26
cpr
VIP Contributor

I just assumed that a static address was the only search variable; didn't realize you could optimize your google maps ranking too...

Old 29th May 2008, 09:14 AM   #27
Grey Moth

This is a question I've wanted answering for a long time - but I a little confised by the ammount of people who have posted.
Can someone sum it up in bullet points for us less-educated-in-the-ways-of-seo-ranking please?
What affects it, what should we focus on?

Grey Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 03:46 PM   #28
krystlevogt

Wink Having Difficulty

I am having quite a bit of trouble with a business that I am assisting in SEO. For over two months they were ranked #1 when you typed in keywords such as remodeling, room additions, new home construction, etc. As of this week, they just dropped off and are listed well beyond the 50th position in google maps. Does anyone have some incite into what could have happened? I am stuck and am trying to get it back to where it was as quickly as possible. I appreciate any help.

krystlevogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 03:31 PM   #29
gotorightway123

t's a great question, Dave -- and I've neither seen nor done any research on it.

Logic would suggest the traditional ranking factors also come into play in the local search, but the rankings are sufficiently different that there must be something else in the mix.

gotorightway123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 05:04 PM   #30
royhunters

Want to increase your rank in local search.. get all your friends to write a review for your business. That is one of the "flaws" of google's local search. It is very easy to trump the results.

I remember seeing an article or thread somewhere where a locksmith company did just that and they occupied ALL the local search results for locksmiths.

Last edited by royhunters; 15th October 2009 at 05:12 PM.
royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote