Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th July 2009, 06:44 PM   #11
royhunters

Another really fantastic site that helps you get found locally is merchant circle, Google has it's hand in their pocket bigtime and you will find that your ad on merchant circle will place better than your website in the serps. and if you are #1 in the serps its a good way to get #3 or #4 as well.

Great thing about it is, it's free and you get a lot more than yellow pages has to offer.

I have also had a lot of success with linkedin in local results. Between the two of them I believe we occupy #3 and #5 and for some odd reason we get #10 from onlywire... Only wire is just a bookmark submission site but we placed their little button on our page and they gave us #10 in the search results.

If you really want to go nuts and say... shoot for #5 there is a new service called PRweb.. they are expensive but if you do a press release with your company name, you will see that is the results as well.

Yellow pages will get you #1 if you throw enough money at them, so will merchant circle.

Actually it is pretty east to occupy #1,2,3,4,5,6 with the blog and business connection services that are out there but it would cost you about $500 a month to maintain that. And you would probably be able to have a good adwords program with that as well.

Rather than try so hard with your website organic results, these other companies will get you on page 1 within your local area over night in most cases.

Last edited by royhunters; 29th July 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th July 2009, 07:31 PM   #12
BioSolutions

Very good tips for local search engine optimization..Our company does all this stuff internally and a lot of our seo work it local. In our industry, local is really everything, so thanks for the tips..

BioSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 01:53 AM   #13
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

You have submit your website in local search engines, local directory and local classified section for getting a good rank in local search. Just targeting localized search terms will never be able to make any significance impact, you need to make sure the fact that you are using the tricks of GEO targeting technique.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 11:47 AM   #14
SBMarketingGuy

Google is beginning to combine local search into their Universal search. You no longer have to type in your geographic location as the results are tailored to your IP address location. This is putting much more emphasis for local businesses to make sure they have their address on every single page on their site and they are properly optimized for the geographic location.

SBMarketingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 12:54 PM   #15
royhunters

Their is a major problem with finding location based on IP address that google can not overcome. If your IP is a gateway, meaning if you get services from At&T like I do, My IP shows a Kansas location but I live in Florida, I use a laptop and I travel a lot.

You will also have this problem with most of the major ISP's, comcast, verizon, etc. They have a range of IP addresses issued to them and all of them my be tagged to one certain location or where their gateway servers are located and attached to the internet.

The only true local search will come from a semantic search engine and we are light years away from that. Math and semantics do not mix well. It's hard to write an algorithm to understand what it is you are talking about.

That is why it has not been done to any great extent already. We still live in a keyword world and that will be the case for a long long time. The only true search engine enhancements that have come since day one is content filtering.

A good demonstration of how bad Google is at understanding is when you see adsense ads on a topic specific web page... say for cooking fish and the adds are all about aquariums, fishing charters, etc.

If they were really that great at understanding context, those ads would match perfectly because that is where their money comes from.

royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 01:57 AM   #16
williamssara88

Good article posted there. Getting relevant and local links to sites give enough boost to your sites

williamssara88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 12:12 AM   #17
webideas

Seems like such a chore getting to the top. I am trying to target local now in hopes of an easier time getting some results.

Submitted to Google Maps as well. I read in a SEO Blog somewhere that Google Maps can be very helpful to the local searching...??

webideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 02:57 PM   #18
jmacek07

I recently created a how to guide specifically designed to help users optimize their website for local rankings. You can check it out here if you're interested.

I think there is a ton of money to be made in the SEO space in your local community. It's proven that SEO leads convert well and in a lot of places people really haven't caught onto this yet so the market is wide open. This will change quickly now that google is incorporating local results into regular search.

jmacek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 02:59 PM   #19
jmacek07

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhunters View Post
If you really want to go nuts and say... shoot for #5 there is a new service called PRweb.. they are expensive but if you do a press release with your company name, you will see that is the results as well.
prweb is new???

jmacek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 05:37 AM   #20
David Morson

Yeah I agree with the article that local SEO is vital for the success of a local business especially but it is not much focused.

David Morson is offline   Reply With Quote