Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd August 2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default Local Search Engine Optimization

Daria has a new article about local SEO:

Getting Specific With Local Search Engine Optimization

http://www.searchengineguide.com/goe.../0823_dg1.html

Snippet:
Localized search engine optimization is often overlooked as an excellent tool to bring in local traffic to your website. By including local information in your tags and web pages, you help prospective customers find specific information on the area and business they are searching for.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd August 2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Nice article. I took special note to this part...

...What you may want to do is specify a few pages on your website for local search terms, instead of the entire website if you are reaching for both a local and country-wide audience...

This isn't really an SEO example, but it's pretty similar. There's a Buffalo company I know of that sells cookie related gifts and baskets. On most pages, they show a snippet of their shipping policy that says 'orders shipped nationwide and hand delivered to the Buffalo, NY area'. That seems to work really well.

It's pretty fun to find out exactly what local terms people search for. Around here (Minneapolis-St. Paul area), people widely accept the phrase 'Twin Cities'. But if I do a keyword search, not nearly as many people search for that as they would 'Minneapolis'.

With that said, I'll contradict myself as I did recommend someone to optimize for 'Twin Cities' once in a niche industry.

Paul

Old 4th September 2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Christian_SEO

Hi Paul,

Small Internet... :-)

That's the beauty of the keyword research that we do. But when you get to the idea of local search, you do run in to those types of "problems". There is more than one city called "Minneapolis" in the US, and there are other "twin-cities, just as there are "tri-cities" and quad-cities".

We like to add an address block to every page. That can help with city-state searches and also if someone adds a zip code in the search.

Is anyone besides us using those Geo-locator meta tags?

Christian_SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Hiya Christian!

I have not used the geo tags as of yet. I've only read about them in a couple forums. Any input to which engine(s) place weight on them?

Paul

Old 1st October 2004, 06:18 PM   #5
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Depending on the industry, localized search phrases can be lucrative. We had a service company client a year or two back that was first to hit the SEO market here locally. They pretty much ruled the listings for anything related to their offerings and though the traffic levels were not high (maybe a few hundred hits a month) they were able to produce leads through our campaign at a cost of about $15 a lead. In an industry where lead costs averaged about $150 per lead, they found SEO to be a goldmine. (Especially since the SEO leads converted to buyers at a much higher percentage than say, their Yellow Page leads.)

It depends on the product and the location. Sometimes there just isn't enough localized search to really justify the dollars spent on a campaign. That said, it's a judgement call. It's hard to optimize a site for phrases that don't yet get enough searches to show up in any keyword research programs, but you can usually speculate on keywords well enough to make sure you do rank when people finally get around to searching for you.

thejenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2004, 11:51 AM   #6
TechEvangelist

Does anyone know if the search engines pay any attention to geo meta tags? It seems that they ignore most meta tags these days. The only one I see people using regularly is the one that states "global", which appears to be worthless.

For localized businesses, we always include an address block with the state code, i.e., AZ, and a brief description of the products or services, which also includes the location using the state name spelled out. That way, it someone wants to search by state, both the state code an the name are covered.

It's also a good idea to do one or two pages that focus specifically on localized keyword phrases.

TechEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2004, 10:42 AM   #7
David Wallace

I believe the only search engine that is worth worrying about in which they recognize geo meta tags is Gigablast. I may be wrong on that one but I believe I read that somewhere. They do not matter to the major ones (Google, Yahoo, Teoma and Wisenut).

One thing that I do with sites that are targeting local traffic is to place the address in the footer so that it appears on every page. It also helps to target geographical terms in title tags and html copy. Finally, I think having a listing in the local Yellow Pages helps with geographical targeting and local search.

Old 31st October 2004, 06:23 PM   #8
SiteTutor

Default Search engine optimization and marketing

incoming links from local directories as well get you recognized as an important service in your city by Google.

SiteTutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2004, 01:08 PM   #9
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum SiteTutor!

Old 29th July 2009, 01:45 AM   #10
williamssara88

Good article posted there. But I have one confusion you can consider it as query too.
SO my query is if our targeted state is Texas.
If we do directory submission in 2 ways.
1. General directory: regional >> United states>>Texas
2. find local hosted directory and submit our site.
Which one is better.
Personally I have prefer second choice but it is tedious task to find local resources. so in that cases we can use the first one.

williamssara88 is offline   Reply With Quote