Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st August 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
nwcountry

Default Hello Everyone, Question About Fitness Biz

I would like to start a business of my own, on the side. I realized one of my main passions is "walking" just walking. I also am into nutrition as well, but I thought about inviting women, especially my age, and men as well if they want to, to walk with me.

I was thinking how many people there are that stay in their homes because they don't want to do things alone, like walk for exercise. I know this sort of falls under "personal training" so I may need a certificate. If so, does anyone know a legitimate "online" course I could take?

Can someone tell me if I "need" a certificate or degree to just walk with people? Also, does anyone know what sort of legalities I need to take care of, to, well, cover my butt in case of accidents etc.

Any feedback is appreciated, Denise

nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th August 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

Thumbs up Here's how...

Hi Denise,

A quick question - does running a large business need one to have an MBA?The answer will vary depending on whom you ask.Same case here about acquiring a professional certificate for your walking business.You'll agree that most things you can lead people without attending a class on how to,but surely attaining some professional tips through say an online course wouldn't hurt.In short,what I'm trying to say is that if you have the time and funds,in the long run being a certified professional would be beneficial for you.In the meantime,since you're starting out,I presume,jumping online and borrowing a couple of tips from some of the fitness expert sites would be a nice idea.With regard to covering your behind in case accidents do happen while walking,register your business with the local authorities,get the right licenses-and-see if there are any insurance covers that can help you take care of this thing I'm sure will always be at the back of your mind.That way,you can walk free from distractions,confident in the knowledge that yours is a certified,insured business.

Old 6th August 2013, 10:15 PM   #3
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Well if you're want to do an SME (of which I assumed you are) then having a degree/diploma or not is not that important. But for large enterprises, like a corporation, it's almost a necessity. It is your knowledge, wisdom, skills, and experience that define the success or failure of your business operations. A degree is just a proof of you that you've attended an educational institute. Of course, degree holders are of advantage here since they were educated by "professional" teachers.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Justyn Franko

File your company under “consulting” and be a Health consultant

Dont get wrapped up in all the red tape, youll figure it out. Go out and get paying customers

Justyn Franko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Linda EFAA

I think the most important thing is to make sure you are covered legally. If someone is out walking with you and sustains an injury will you get into trouble for the fact you are running an exercise class and you are not qualified. Also will it reduce your insurance costs if you are qualified?
I think taking a course and gaining a qualification is a good idea as it can only help, it's not going to be detrimental to your business in anyway.
Let us know how you get on as I think this is a really good idea, and some of the businesses that have the best chance of success are the ones that are started from a hobby you are passionate about.
Good luck.

Linda EFAA is offline   Reply With Quote