Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Tamararc

Default Beginner Trying SEO

Hello,
I have been reading through so many threads, especially Thejenn, as she documented her 30 day journey with thelactivist. In reading the threads, it seems like tricks to SEO, Adwords and other forms of marketing for site traffic is second nature to many of you. Is it realistic for me, someone with NO experience in building web traffic, and had not even heard of Adwords before reading these forums, to increase my SEO, build a PPC campagin and optimize Adwords on my own??

Thank you!

Tamararc is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Kevin H

Hi,

SEO and PPC are two different things; though there are some overlaps.

As for can you do it, given you are a beginner. Yes.

At one time we were all beginners. The question is how easy it comes to you, how much time you are willing to spend learning and applying what you learn, and how 'naturally' you can interpret what you learn into actions.

Many people learn the basics (I need links etc) but miss the nuances, or don't want to learn them because that is hard word. This is also why many SEOs only stay SEOs for a short time - they expect it is easy money; and proper SEO is not - then either give up or become SCAMMERS, pretending to the do job but really not.

The only way to really tell is to read, read, read and try, try, try. Set up a site for yourself and start trying to apply what you learn. IF you are enjoying doing this and starting to see success then SEO may be for you (PPC is much the same in this).

If you don't enjoy learning then SEO is not for you. SEO is constantly evolving and the second you stop learning you start to slip behind the rest.

Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
SDGSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin H View Post
The only way to really tell is to read, read, read
Can't emphasise that enough, there are so many forums and blogs out there talking total rubbish about SEO and still recommending things like article marketing as the best way to build links to your site etc. Make sure you subscribe and hang out on a few forums covering SEO so you can ask questions and get a consensus of opinion on anything.

You can totally learn on your own, getting the basics actually isn't that hard and many websites only need the basics, it's when you get into stuff that has really competitive keywords you need to know it all in more detail. It doesn't hurt to do a short course or tuition with someone to grasp the basics quickly, but really learning it comes by doing it lots.

Old 30th November 2012, 12:37 AM   #4
Tamararc

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for your response. I have a business where I have gone out an done most of the selling, and I am now trying to build traffic and sales through my site. I appreciate your thoughts, and will be reading!

Old 3rd December 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
ScottDecker

Think outside the box! SEO is just one way to get web traffic.

When you're starting, forum postings are a much better way to build traffic. Just find a forum related to your niche, provide your expert advice, and include a link to your website in the signature of the post.

Other ways to build traffic include:
-selling on ebay (include [email protected] in the posting)
-online classified ads (like craigslist)
-ebay classified ads (not to be confused with ebay classified - a wannabe craigslist
-answers sites (like yahoo answers)
-write an article for a popular blog

Most of the above are free. I'd pick some of those before throwing money at Adwords. And when you do throw money at Adwords
1. pick a ton of cheap long specific keywords and throw a dollar at them
2. measure the results
3. throw more money at the keywords that result in sales / good traffic

Happy to help,
Scott

ScottDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Michail98

Great Point......and very well said with a ton of insight about the SEO environment....

Michail98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Tamararc

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give advice. It was very helpful. Adwords adds up very quickly, and until I figure out how to totally maximize it's potential, I am going try the "free" route.

Thanks again!!
Tamara

Old 26th December 2012, 10:10 PM   #8
The SEO Guys

Another method you can try using is setting google alerts to notify you when someone has posted something about you niche. You can then be the first to respond and also drop a link in for SEO at the same time.

The SEO Guys is offline   Reply With Quote