Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
sannwood
VIP Contributor

Default Google Checkout vs. Paypal

Google Checkout was launched last month and many are expecting it to give Paypal a run for their money. However, Paypals user base is 100 million strong and Google Checkout is just getting off it's feet.

My question is this. . .is anyone out there using Google Checkout and what are your thoughts regarding it vs. Paypal for conducting business on the internet?

Old 6th October 2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Raise Capital
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannwood View Post
Google Checkout was launched last month and many are expecting it to give Paypal a run for their money. However, Paypals user base is 100 million strong and Google Checkout is just getting off it's feet.

My question is this. . .is anyone out there using Google Checkout and what are your thoughts regarding it vs. Paypal for conducting business on the internet?

Sannwood,

My company just started using Google Checkout. It is going great so far. There may need to be some updates, so it can function similar to PayPal. However, if you are an Adword client, all the fees can be free to you. Eventually, it would compete with PayPal. I do have some thoughts about paypal. There are a lot of people with duplicate accounts with PayPal. Google will be more precise in their membership.

Raise Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 08:30 AM   #3
bowlingball.com

Default Google Checkout

We have been using Google Checkout for over a month now and are very pleased with it.

The biggest difference between them and PayPal is that they control the order flow. There is a lot of communication from them, but everything is somewhat asynchronous. The customer is not redirected back to your site to "complete" the sale.

So you are basically maintaining orders on your internal systems and on Google's.

And you can't accept additional payments for an order (as of now). They have an invoicing system, but I need to do some more research on that.

John Congdon
bowlingball.com

bowlingball.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 07:37 PM   #4
Jennifer Thieme

Quote:

Google Checkout is a lot less expensive than Paypal. One thing Paypal offers that Google Checkout does not offer is a virtual terminal - buyers must complete the sale online with Google Checkout. With Google Checkout, vendors do not have the option of processing the buyer's credit card in some other manner, such as over the phone.

If a vendor sells strictly online, I think Google Checkout is a great deal because the rates are so cheap. But if vendors need to process credit cards in some other manner, then they'll have to use some other merchant service.

At this point, my opinion is that one is not better than the other. Google wins with price, but Paypal wins with greater range of processing options. So it just depends on what each business needs.

Last edited by Jennifer Thieme; 9th December 2006 at 07:42 PM.
Jennifer Thieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 01:34 AM   #5
Allan21

Wow!!! Thats great!!! I never heard about google chkout!!! Anyway thx for sharing guys...

Allan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Raise Capital
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan21 View Post
Wow!!! Thats great!!! I never heard about google chkout!!! Anyway thx for sharing guys...

I never heard of Google Checkout until I visited a website that had it. I think they are growing like crazy.

Raise Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Denis Schwartz

Default WOW! Gang you are really fantastic.

Thank you so much for the tip on Google checkout. The new business is going okay but no sales yet...people are coming to visit tho and that means our name is out there! So we haven't needed the PayPal account but I think we will stick with it anyway - the account is FREE if it is a business account.

In spite of my lack of knowledge on metatags, we seem to be getting a lot of visitors thru search engines, Google, Yahoo, and MSN ... so we are hopeful.

I am starting a series of articles on CAT COMMUNICATION soon [probably Jan 07], with the first article being "Why do Cats Purr?". It will be posted on the website as well as submitted to a variety of ezine directories and article submission sites. The total number in the series should be six articles at one per month.

So that's about it for me... I DO want to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS [and] a most hearty HAPPY HOLIDAYS for those that celebrate other holidays this time of year. Diversity is the life source in the USA so let's just try a little harder to accept our fellow human beings.
Have a good NEW YEAR'S and be careful
denis

Denis Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
netuser

Quote:
There was an article in New York Times about Google Checkout on 12/20.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/20/te...0checkout.html

Read it soon before the article goes into archive. Then you have to pay to read it.

netuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 02:54 AM   #9
mfahey

Send a message via MSN to mfahey
Default google check out

I was told by the Director of PayPal (the big guy), that google does not provide alot of account information from the client. If capturing the data is important, go with paypal.

On the other hand, you get some free advertising if you use google.

mfahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 10:49 AM   #10
KevinW
VIP Contributor

Also, if your long term strategy includes an affiliate program to boost your online sales, be cautious with Google Checkout. It has a nasty habit of wrecking the tracking in an affiliate program, which is a sure way to get your affiliates to stop promoting you.

I understand there are workarounds, but they sound pretty manually intensive.