Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st April 2006, 02:41 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default need seo advice

Hi,

actually i am new in the field of seo, please tell me what should we do for caching my page more frequently in google.

Thanks

jenifer.paul@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st April 2006, 11:20 AM   #2
friese

Send a message via Skype™ to friese

You could resubmit your site to the search engines more often. A better way would be to do some link building. The more sites that link to your site, the more it gets indexed.

Old 21st April 2006, 05:57 PM   #3
100000euro

another good way is to have a google sitemap.

More about google sitemaps here

100000euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 09:24 AM   #4
copywriter

Quote:
You could resubmit your site to the search engines more often.
Actually, this is not necessary. Engine spiders visit your site automatically when they detect changes once you're in the index. There is no need to resubmit.

Why do you want to be cached more often?

Old 25th April 2006, 06:29 AM   #5
copywriter

Quote:
The reality is that submitting your link to the major search engines can actually hurt your rankings. This has been confirmed by search engine employees at SEO conferences.
Who said that?

Quote:
Your reality is that you have entered into a very competitive key phrase market and will have a difficult time distinguishing yourself from your competition. And by competition I mean every mobile phone website on the planet.
You may have missed the part where he said he had good rankings for the keyphrases he has targeted. He's already distinquished himself.

Quote:
These high level keywords abound with PageRanks 6 8 so you most likely will not stand a chance of a high ranking for these terms without a PageRank 6 or higher. Secondary key phrases are more available with a PR 4 or 5, but you have to have some real content, not just a bunch of photos and a shopping basket.
Page Rank is a measure (according to Google) of linking only. It has nothing to do with how competitive a keyphrase is or the difficulty with which you might rank for that keyphrase.

Quote:
Ultimately you need lots of links and lots of meaty content. (The key to frequent search engine caching is not submitting, it is having lots of off-site links pointing to your website.)
While I agree that content is a good thing, why would you want the search engines to frequent your site? That has no bearing on how high your rankings are. Just because a spider visits doesn't mean it will do anything. It could visit every day, but if what the spider finds isn't relivant, no action would likely be taken.

Old 25th April 2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
I am still looking for the specific quote I saw from a conference report where an search engine rep said they discount the value of URL submissions as opposed to sites found through spidering
You may be misunderstanding something that was said or quoted out of context. I've been to my fair share of conferences over the past 3 years and that just isn't the case based on my experiences.

At the same time, a search engine that includes a page without any links from another site/page already within its index is another story. A site included based on a link is going to perform better versus one without any based on the nature of how a search engine works.

More links going to a site/page, and more importantly from pages that themselves are more popular, is going to increase spidering activity. Also, the frequency of updates to a page can play a factor. The use of Google Sitemaps is a good suggestion as well.

Quote:
The line I like is

Quote:
Lower PageRank pages can rank better than higher PageRank pages based on content and onsite optimization and keyword anchor text. But a web page must already possess enough influence from the variables that make-up PageRank to compete with those higher-ranking pages
On that topic, here is a related comment and a good article from Matt Cutts regarding the role of high pagerank pages not out ranking lower pagerank pages that have a breadth of content about the keyword/topic.

Quote:
we'll often elevate a page with fewer links or lower PageRank if other signals suggest that the page is more relevant. For example, a web page dedicated entirely to the civil war is often more useful than an article that mentions the civil war in passing, even if the article is part of a reputable site such as Time.com.
Thats from google.

Articles are here. Worth the read for those new to this, and a good refresher on the basics covered at some of the conferences for others.

How does Google collect and rank results?
http://www.google.com/librariancente...s/0512_01.html

How Does Google Determine Which Web Sites Are the Most "Trusted?"
http://www.google.com/librariancente...s/0601_03.html

Old 25th April 2006, 01:40 PM   #7
copywriter

Quote:
resubmitting your site manually, and especially over and over again, is a waste of time.
Agreed

Old 26th April 2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Lisa-BFWM

Get some backlinks to your site. Make sure the sites that backlink to you are related to your site. When looking at the page your link will be placed- look to see how often or if it has been indexed at all. I find that sites that use link building program such a Links Manager have links pages that are never or rarely indexed so may not be worth the effort.

Add fresh content. Write articles about product/services on your site. Grow your site out sideways rather than down. If you don't have site map get one. Use breadcrumb navigation on your site.

Add a blog and report "news" related to your product/service. spiders love blogs.
I have had a tough time getting clients to add blogs to their site but I am now insisting they do it- there are so many positive benfits to this from a marketing stanpoint alone.

HTH!
Lisa

Lisa-BFWM is offline   Reply With Quote