Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th July 2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Lace

Default Commission for Ad Sales Rep?

As things get busier, I am finding it harder to get things done. I keep wanting to expand but it is hard with only so many hours in the day.
I was thinking about finding a person/s to book advertisers and find new ones, while I can focus on getting more visitors to the site and expanding all the new additions. I was hoping to have it commission based, does anyone know how this could work?
What kind of incentives should I offer? Are there actually people out there who would be happy to work for commission, and where should I look?

Thanks in advance

Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th July 2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Have you considered using a advertising publishing solution like Google Adsense, Yahoo or another where they will supply the ads to you. You make money when others purchase from via your site (if an affiliate program) or click on ads on your site.

Old 14th August 2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Cardfellow

You should look into affiliate marketing networks such as Commission Junction (cj.com).

Cardfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 12:03 PM   #4
MikeAnd

I think that you'll need to either offer equity or commission to get the attention of most good advertising sales people.

I've seen commissions range anywhere from .5%-7%, depending on what their selling.

MikeAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 12:36 AM   #5
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

Well I work on straight commission for my radio station. I don't think I'm allowed to say how much according to the contract so I won't...but it is higher than 7%.

I also sell podcast advertising for a network of podcasters and I charge 20% commission on that.

So I'd imagine it varies on exactly what the salesperson is selling and how much is involved in getting a sale and how much the advertising is selling for - it has to be reasonable for the work involved to attract someone who is going to be able to do the job.

But yes, there are people willing to work for straight commission.

Old 6th February 2010, 03:44 PM   #6
My Marketing Gi

Default Straight commission

Hello My name is Renee and I am the sales representative and I work on straight commission and bonuses for meeting sales goals. I make a whole lot more that 7% and I would not work for that low a commission. You asked the question asking if people will work for straight commission and the answer is yes several people do and we make a very good living at it. If I can be of any assistance just let me know.

Renee

Last edited by My Marketing Gi; 6th February 2010 at 06:32 PM.
My Marketing Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 06:55 PM   #7
RevenueKinetics

In a previous life I worked for a company that paid 15% commission and that was considered low. The reality is that it depends upon how much work the rep has to do.

I would suggest taking an honest look at the number of hours you yourself have spent per sale. Multiply that times a reasonable wage and you'll have a good starting point.

RevenueKinetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 12:17 AM   #8
tobuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenueKinetics View Post
In a previous life I worked for a company that paid 15% commission and that was considered low. The reality is that it depends upon how much work the rep has to do.

I would suggest taking an honest look at the number of hours you yourself have spent per sale. Multiply that times a reasonable wage and you'll have a good starting point.
Dont start out by cutting your work load with the most important part of your business. Try to cut admin work with a low paid hourly worker. You need to be the front man on every deal right now cause every deal matters.

tobuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 03:01 PM   #9
WebWizard

Affilate markteing is a good idea.

WebWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 09:52 PM   #10
BillyM

I realise this info is a bit dated, but thanks for sharing those 'hinted' reseller commissions. They've been very useful

BillyM is offline   Reply With Quote