Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th December 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
asprat

Default Is The Economy Helping Or Hurting You

It's not a no-brainer question. There are some businesses that claim to still be doing quite well through this official US recession (actually it seems to be a global economic issue).

I'm thinking mainly in terms of how supply costs are going down. I was reading an article a few months ago about how advanced 800 provider gotvmail was adjusting its prices to reflect recent economic trends -- that proved to be highly prescient. Apple also dropped their prices for Black Friday, a totally unprecedented move. Has this made business tools any more within reach for anybody, or have sales slowed to such an extent that dropping prices make no difference?

asprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th December 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Bill Argatto

Default Hosted PBX economy

I run a small review site (hostedpbxguide.com) for the hosted PBX market specifically, and GotVMail's price cuts are not a unique thing amongst its competitors. Most companies in the market had been planning this move for a while - Virtual PBX, Voicenation, and GotVMail's recent changes were part of a general trend towards lower pricing in the market that had been building for a while - the market change just made it more important to have that occur immediately, and GotVMail got first press on it. At this point, most of the providers of the hosted PBX service have to compete on quality and value-adding features instead of price.

More to the point for your question, however, most of these industries are also during very well since the downturn. The key concept for the hosted PBX market is cheaper business phone service, and cost-cutting services are always good during these periods. Most of them are reporting significant sales increases since the economic breakdown. Some of them are having a little trouble because of venture capital tightening up, but even those are just scaling back advertising, shifting their strategies, and tightening belts to let the money roll in. On the other hand, more fiscally secure ones have actually increased spending, doing things like website redesign or low-cost advertising to make the most of an economy that remains strong for them.

Bill Argatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Allectus

Smile Yes, this down turn is both good and bad.

The economy is tough on just about every consumer and every business.

But to some degree it is good that we "cleanse" ourselves of bad habits.

Credit, for one is a very bad habit all of have. Consumers and businesses alike. We all lived on credit and became so used to it, we didn't even realize we were using it.

Now, we have to think about what we spend. The fact that retailers and suppliers are lowering prices is a refection of how high priced things were in the the first place. Either way, we were going to pay for what ever we needed via credit.

It's the old supply and demand theory, or the "Field of Dreams", "if you build it, they will come.

If you priced your product or service relative to what consumers are willing to pay (with a credit card), of course they'll buy it.

Now what?

Now, we go back to the way it was in the '70s, cash only.

That's just the way it's going to be.

Old 10th December 2008, 02:02 PM   #4
D Capra

The association I represent is doing better than ever.

In two years we have enrolled over 14,000 members.

Small business united can reduce their operating costs enjoy new business and have a voice in the political arena as well.

With the credit crunch, a pay as you go membership does not require a line of credit.

Don't want to brag but what I am offering can't be beat in this economy.

D Capra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 03:44 AM   #5
Peter Bowen

We are doing better in our one business which is counter-cyclical. Helping business owners get paid for the work that they do.

The take up on our automatic debt collection service is much higher lately than before. I think there are a lot of business owners out there who are starting to feel the pain of their customers paying later and later. We help our users get to the front of the queue when it comes to getting paid.

I feel for mortgage brokers and car dealers right now.

Cheers

Pete

Old 12th December 2008, 02:28 PM   #6
viper_one
VIP Contributor

there is pressure at the bottom of spreadsheets, just like there is pressure at home; Walmart is a lesson towards sales improvement

Old 21st January 2009, 11:45 PM   #7
birthmarked

Send a message via Yahoo to birthmarked
Default It's helping it.

My business has done well in part because there are a lot of companies who are laying off their in-house staff and want to switch to project work.

Also, there are lots of people starting their own businesses that get laid off, so both of those are opportunities for me to step in and help.

Also, I think it helps that my business is more about quality than quantity. We would rather take on 2 projects and do a really good job than to take on 10 and bang them out. This tends to lead to referrals and create advocates for us.

So I would say the economy is helping us in a big way.

birthmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Melanie2009

I'm just starting a new business, and i decided to do it just BECAUSE it would do well in this crappy economy so I hope it will help.

Melanie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 03:07 AM   #9
Jody_Palmer

Thank God I am still working, but somewhat the economy is still hurting us.

Jody_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 03:44 AM   #10
tingeofpink

I think I can say that we are all affected with this economy recession, whether we are aware of it or not. So many people have lost their jobs because businesses are closing. A friend of mine went to work one day just to be told she only has 1 month left in the company. I'm thankful that I still have a job. I really feel for those who are suffering financially. I hope the world recovers from this.

Last edited by tingeofpink; 29th January 2009 at 03:52 AM.
tingeofpink is offline   Reply With Quote