Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd January 2009, 01:16 PM   #1
mgrowe

Default Need Ideas

I need a weekend business idea. I used to run a lawn business. But I sold that because gas prices got out of control and customers were extreamly mad about me raising prices that I just had to pass on. And my wife was very pregnanate and I wanted to be with her more. So, with that out of the way, I need to start a new business that i can do after work, and on the weekend. On the computer most preferably. I do have good orginizing skills, and i can cut grass like nobody knows, but, I have very littlle start up money and lawn equipment is very expensive. So what is an idea for something I can do in a " bad econmony". I need a idea that is a service that people will pay for in these hard times. I work for my family construction firm but every one knows where the construction industry is right now in florida. I am moving to a new apartment in Febuary, and it is in a very very wealthy area of St. Petersburg. So I am in a prime local to do business and I wont have to travel very far. I was thinking of a garage orginization service. I would come to your house and install shelves and provide plastic containers. Lable the container and hang tools on the wall with pin boards ect..

mgrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd January 2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Melanie2009

I'm new here too, and I've kind of been brainstorming this same topic thinking about things that are fairly recession-proof that could be businesses. Here's my list so far:

Cosmetics/makeup
Education
Home/Business Security
Career/Employment Search
Healthcare
Food
Taxes
Debt Collection
Home & Vehicle Maintenance
Energy
Tobacco
Alcohol
Gambling

Anyway, if you're in construction what about home improvement or handyman stuff?

Melanie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:08 PM   #3
lordspace

Hi,

If you have so much experience in cutting grass why don't you write a book and self publish it through Lulu ?

Share some tips

Slavi

lordspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
mgrowe

Cutting grass is mainly just moving your butt quickly and not missing any spots with staight lines, then getting on to the next job. There is my book. LOL... I mean there are marketing tips to write about, but there really isn't anything you can't find on the internet or already a 100 books printed on it. I think I am going to try the garage orginization idea that I have read about. My freind and I can do it together. I am good at orginizing and he is good at installing and remodleing. We both have a truck and I have a trailer.

mgrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Comm Realtor

Garage orginization could be worth a try. Maybe offer closet orginization too.

Comm Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Yoyoma

I like the organization idea but perhaps you could take it a bit further. Maybe you could actually provide help for local businesses in setting up there work areas for more productivity. You know kind of a lean manufacturing approach but for garages or what not.

Yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 03:30 PM   #7
proprint1

Default This is from me

Do what ever you would if you had all the money in the world & you would still do it for free. If your answer is I would not do anything, then nothing that you will do will work until you first create the thirst.

Remember, you 1st need to have a empty vessel before you can fill it.

proprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Coffee

Organization and doing the work is a great idea. Just make sure it is what you want to do. If you enjoy what you do, the work will be enjoyable.

Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 01:22 AM   #9
janicepink

Quote:
Originally Posted by proprint1 View Post
Do what ever you would if you had all the money in the world & you would still do it for free. If your answer is I would not do anything, then nothing that you will do will work until you first create the thirst.

Remember, you 1st need to have a empty vessel before you can fill it.
Right on proprint!

janicepink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 07:15 PM   #10
georgia_peach

Smile Start With What You Like....

I have found I do what I like. This will make you money. Just list everything you like doing and look it up on the internet. Believe me somebody is doing it for profit. I had to figure out that I have to do what works for me, not what works for others. I hope you find your niche!

georgia_peach is offline   Reply With Quote