Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th August 2004, 01:45 AM   #1
jeanm
VIP Contributor

Location: Bunbury, Western Australia - way down in the bottom left corner of the country if you look at a map.
Default Adding more pages to my site

I keep reading in SEO articles that I must continually add more pages to my web site. This seems to be related to getting my PR higher and higher - or at least I think that is the reasoning behind it. One article said that I should add a page per day!

My question is: What does a person put on these pages when everything has been said in the website already.

Can anyone shed some light please?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th August 2004, 08:25 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Actually what you should do is to continuously work on your site to make it the best it can be. That doesn't necessarily mean adding a page a day just for the sake of adding a page but rather making sure your site contains the best and most relevant content related to its subject.

If you have a great site, then other web site owners will very likely find it a valuable resource to link to which will build up your PR.

The bottom line is that there are no formulas. If it makes sense for your visitors or customers using your site to add a page a day, then do it, but not just for the sake of a formula or to gain some PR benefit. Do things for those visiting your site because they will be the ones buying your products or services ... not the search engines.

Old 22nd August 2004, 08:44 AM   #3
Patrick

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick

Quote:
when everything has been said
It can be hard work to say more, but it can often be done. Each page topic may have content that can be expanded into a sub-topic. Or maybe instead of linking out to an external page for more information, include the "more information" on a page of your own - without actually grabbing someone else's content of course.

Also I recently added several pages to one of my sites by breaking a big page into smaller pages. Google apparently likes pages with approx 500 words of content. But I have to agree that one of the skills that has to be learnt as a webmaster is to make a little seem like a lot.

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 01:00 AM   #4
jeanm
VIP Contributor

Location: Bunbury, Western Australia - way down in the bottom left corner of the country if you look at a map.

Thanks David and Patrick - I'm taking notice of the helpful comments from both of you. I didn't know that 500 words was a good maximum for pages so I'll spend a bit of time scrutinizing my pages. I can already think of a couple of pages that would be better if I divided them up. Thanks Guys.

Old 23rd August 2004, 06:51 AM   #5
BWelford

Seems to me that 'ceilings' are something most of us do not do a lot of thinking about. We tend to forget to look up. Once you begin to think about them there's all sorts of questions that may come to mind. I guess not too many of us know much about the most famous ceiling painted by Michaelangelo in the Sistine Chapel at Rome.

I'm sure you know lots of stuff about ceilings that we don't know. So why not write a mini-book (a series of web pages) to try to educate the rest of us about ceilings. I find with a little Google research you can easily amass quite a fund of knowledge and also probably a heap of links to other sites that someone trying to research ceilings might like to check out.

And why do all this? Well not to educate the rest of us, although that will happen. These pages are like a massive butterfly net to catch people who may have an interest in making a ceiling and could be potential customers. Any given page can be optimized for a particular keyword phrase that a potential customer might tap in. Of course you make sure that all these new pages very naturally allow visitors to get to the pages where they might start the buying process. More pages means more links and that will help your Google ranking.

Who knows, if your web pages are particularly informative, others may link to them too. You become an authority. ... and so on, and so on, and so on.

Old 23rd August 2004, 06:53 AM   #6
Patrick

jeanm, that's 500 words of page-specific content after the markup is stripped out and all the usual repetitive links etc. And bear in mind 500 words is a conventional wisdom guideline and not something that Google has published as gospel. Some people say 750, others say less, but it is commonly said that "Google likes small pages". Definitely if you have a big page it could be worth breaking down, for the sake of the page itself and also because it does give you an extra page (or pages).

Plus, I totally agree with Barry - just read the post!

Old 23rd August 2004, 09:28 AM   #7
copywriter

Quote:
Google likes small pages
I caution everyone reading this thread NOT to build a site based on what Google (or any other search engine) wants. You have to have balance. If you build a site focusing only on what the engines want (or what you/others *think* they want) your site visitors will most likely suffer because of it.

Remember last November? Remember all the sites that were built specifically to impress Google? Remember the Florida update that turned almost all those sites on their heads and tossed them right out the window?

As David (and anyone else of credibility in the SEO world) said:

Quote:
The bottom line is that there are no formulas. If it makes sense for your visitors or customers using your site to add a page a day, then do it, but not just for the sake of a formula or to gain some PR benefit. Do things for those visiting your site because they will be the ones buying your products or services ... not the search engines.
This is a long-standing lesson we all should never forget.

Karon

Old 23rd August 2004, 10:04 AM   #8
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

I'm particularly interested in this topic. I struggle with copywriting quite a bit I've decided. And I also struggle with the whole idea of link exchanges. A friend told me that I just "have to do it" to get a good ranking in the search engines (I got my first google hit yesterday - they didn't stay much).

Can't I just write a lot of good, unique stuff about personal finance and let that do the job for me? Is my strategy full of holes if I say that I will write 2 or 3 new articles per week so that my content will be linkworthy for other webmasters? Do I really have to do a reciprocal link campaign?

I tend to side (with my limited knowledge) that you should ultimately write to provide content. Isn't content still king?

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 10:39 AM   #9
Patrick

Quote:
write 2 or 3 new articles per week so that my content will be linkworthy for other webmasters
Sounds like an excellent strategy to me. In that sense, you can say that content is king. But I doubt if a site in a competitive area can compete without gaining incoming links from strong external pages, and I know from my own experience that this can be a very hard thing to achieve. Google's model is still largely built on link popularity (and to a lesser degree, Yahoo etc) so if you are able to garner incoming links simply by virtue of the quality of your content, you should be on a winner in the long term, especially as you may not need to reciprocate simply for the sake of it.

Old 23rd August 2004, 10:45 AM   #10
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWelford
Of course you make sure that all these new pages very naturally allow visitors to get to the pages where they might start the buying process.

Jakob Nielsen's latest article reinforces this point made by Barry.

Informational Articles Must Ask For the Order

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040823.html

Snippet:
Unless you have explicit links to product pages from article content, users who visit articles directly from search engines might never realize that you sell related products.