Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th June 2016, 06:09 PM   #1
seodigital

Default PBN For SEO: Should I Use It Or Not? And Why? Enlighten Me Please

Hello guys,

Almost any SEO experts and practitioners these days are talking about PBN (Private Blog Networks) in forums, social medias, etc, as the new effective link building for SEO purpose. Even some SEO agencies provide this PBN service in their packages.

Although Google itself considers PBN as a spammy tactic and should be avoided, these SEOs claim to have the tricks to make PBN looks natural and leaves no footprint. I've also seen it myself that some websites and blogs in fact gain ranking improvement after implementing PBN tactics.

For you here who are also a fan of PBN, I don't understand why we should bother to do all the hassle. Is that really effective and worth doing (hunting domains, analyzing them, set up the templates, fill up with articles, making sure no footprints left, etc)?

If the goal is to get contextual backlinks (links coming from the body of an article), why don't we just guest blogging on quality and relevant sites? The result is the same: getting contextual backlinks, but just without doing all the hassles like the PBN is.

Any comments, opinions, or arguments?

Old 13th June 2016, 10:55 PM   #2
jeffscott
VIP Contributor

Public blog networking is still effective in terms of SEO but still depending on the implementation in which focuses on related interesting content.

Old 17th June 2016, 02:37 PM   #3
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

Brands don't need to resort to doing something like put up PBNs to gain rankings--they're spending their time building their brand and getting natural links.

Personally, I'd rather spend my time building my brand and creating great content rather than continuing to chase the algorithm. PBNs are a way, essentially, that you're chasing the algorithm. I did that for years and just got tired of it.

Old 20th June 2016, 06:10 PM   #4
seodigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
Public blog networking is still effective in terms of SEO but still depending on the implementation in which focuses on related interesting content.
Hi Jeff,

The question is, is that worth doing with all the hassles? Does the benefit outweigh the effort?

I'm thinking why don't SEOs just guest blogging on quality and relevant sites? The result is the same: getting contextual backlinks, but just without doing all the hassles like the PBN does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjennifer View Post
I think If you are using in manual way with quality content that will be helpful for traffic.
Hi James,

I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain, let's say, 5 PBNs in manual way and with quality content. Not to mention maintaining and nurturing the PBNs themselves, which leads to another time-consuming tasks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartzer View Post
Brands don't need to resort to doing something like put up PBNs to gain rankings--they're spending their time building their brand and getting natural links.

Personally, I'd rather spend my time building my brand and creating great content rather than continuing to chase the algorithm. PBNs are a way, essentially, that you're chasing the algorithm. I did that for years and just got tired of it.
I agree with your strategy, that's what Google preaches us to do every time: create quality content, do branding, and gain natural links.

The problem is, too many times I've seen many websites that rank higher (and faster) using chasing-the-algorithm strategy like PBNs, outranking websites that implement SEO techniques that imply Google's guidelines.

Sometimes, that has just made me tempted to switch to PBNs as my link building strategy, but still not sure if that's all that worth.

Old 27th June 2016, 04:25 AM   #5
jackluter
VIP Contributor

Adding a unique content without stuffing keywords helps to rank the keywords.

jackluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 02:02 PM   #6
janicerichards6

Like others said, if you make a spammy PBN you should spend your time doing other things. If your PBN makes has profiles with social interaction and unique and good content. You may be onto something

I think the days of having 100 spun content web 2.0's is gone. But using 2-3 high quality PBNs with real footprints could still be helpful in SEO

janicerichards6 is offline   Reply With Quote