Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2005, 06:28 AM   #1
EYStudios

Send a message via AIM to EYStudios Send a message via Yahoo to EYStudios
Default When to Kill Keywords

Hi, there,

I launched some very successful Google adword campaigns last year. I ran the last one for two weeks and got far more customers than I could handle (I turned it off for several months). However, this year is proving to be more challenging.

I'm getting response from some of my more targeted keywords, but it's all from teenagers looking for free stuff or people with inane art requests. Should I kill these keywords since it's driving up my cost? I have gotten some good clients from these same keywords, but they're few and far between.

I got my best gigs from people searching for expensive keywords like "logo design" (that search term has gone WAY up in price). Would it be better to concentrate my bucks on that since the rest has disappointing results? Or stick with varying it out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

EYStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st February 2005, 01:28 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Eric,

Are you using negative keywords to filter out words like "free", "freebie", etc.?

Are you using a program to track conversions by keyword?

Old 2nd February 2005, 08:39 AM   #3
EYStudios

Yes, I'm subtracting words like "free," "program," etc. All I've been using to track everything is the adwords program itself. I'm just trying to do what the Google guy told me to do with the campaign. Forgive my ignorance.

Old 2nd February 2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYStudios
Forgive my ignorance.
Hey, I'm stumbling along trying to figure it all out as well.

Something that popped into my head is to try turning off the content network and only show ads on the search network to see if that helps.

Also, try fiddling with the terms that produce business but are really expensive now. For example, for "logo design" you could try adding regional words: "Mississippi logo design", "MS logo design", etc.

How large a list of keywords do you have?

Old 3rd February 2005, 08:48 AM   #5
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Default Try Dayparting.

Another direction to find savings is to daypart your spends. I would guess that an important segment of your logo design customer base is corporations. Maybe this means that you can daypart your buy to just business hours in the US, or for each specific region you're targeting.

For example, you could bid on "california corporate logo design" and daypart that buy for business hours on the left coast of these United States. You may even wind up spending less on that phrase if you ran it for all dayparts, since it is so much more specific than the power keyword "logo design", and therefore have lower competing bids.

Overall, however, you may want to continue to relegate at least a small amount of your bid budget on those power keywords. Sometimes searchers "drill down", going from broader KWs to more specific, and there are some studies out there that give some indication what type of customers jump off and make a buy at different points in this KW search "funnel". They may be worth a look. I wish I could remember where I saw them ...

Good luck!

P.S. Love, love, LOVE your web site.

Last edited by 4ndr3w; 3rd February 2005 at 09:01 AM.
4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 11:58 AM   #6
Robert
Administrator

Andrew, that is excellent advice! Is there a way to automate this with AdWords? It wouldn't be hard to do it manually, but I'm sure it's something that I'd forget to do some days so it'd be great if it could be automated.

Old 3rd February 2005, 01:10 PM   #7
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Thanks, but it wasn't my idea. I'm not running any PPC campaigns yet, as my fiancee and I have yet to commence operations. I don't know if AdWords can automate dayparting, or if it's a third party product that has that functionality built in.

Old 4th February 2005, 09:13 AM   #8
EYStudios

Thanks, Andrew! That sounds like a smart idea to me. I would say that the vast majority of my business comes from small business owners that want to add personality to their website and/or improve their corporate identity.

Old 4th February 2005, 09:25 AM   #9
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Aha! If that's the case, then maybe you can target a prospective customer segment that is working on their site as a part-time affair, after they get home from their regular jobs, or during lunch hours at their regular jobs. If that's the case, you could daypart special keywords and promotions aimed at that segment during lunch hours and after regular business hours, instead of during regular business hours.