Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd February 2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default How To Triple Your List Building Rate With Squeeze Pages

Willie Crawford has an article on how to get more people on your emailing list by using a squeeze page.

"The most effective squeeze pages that I've seen, used enticing emails to drive traffic to the sites. These emails were either emailed by joint venture partners, or by the product owner who was introducing a new product."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...nt/003947.html

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th February 2006, 12:01 PM   #2
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

I'm a bit skeptical about the use of squeeze pages. It might work for non-retail sites, but I wonder if the improved list-building results come at the expense of your conversion rate. Don't more clicks between the consumer and the desired outcome result in fewer instances of the desired outcome? Why would I want to insert more clicks between my visitor and my checkout page?

Can't similar results be achieved by placing a small sign-up form in the corner of each and every page, without the necessity of an obnoxious squeeze page?

4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

To your point of less clicks to check out, do you think it makes sense to put a sales pitch on one page of copy instead of three? Maybe I should run a split test on it to see how that works out.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 12:49 PM   #4
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

I really think it depends on what you're selling and the price points. Services and higher-ticket items are going to take more of a sales pitch. Lower cost items and commodities - think plumbing supplies, or books - that are more price sensitive need to be far more convenient to get to.

If the customer is not there for your price, then you better make it super-easy for them to get in and out of there before they find it somewhere else for less.

Old 4th February 2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Maverick
VIP Contributor

Default Split test makes sense

Excellent remarks here on both viewpoints.

Personally, I STRONGLY believe in TESTING, TESTING, AND TESTING some more. Split runs are an excellent and valuable marketing tool. I would rather split test at the risk of loosing a few initial sales, than keep a losing approach going over time losing a LOT of sales before I discovered the problem.

Just an ole man's point of view:>)

Regards,
Maverick

Old 6th February 2006, 05:26 PM   #6
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Mav,
I've just discovered the world of split testing and am loving it. I recently shelled out quite a bit of money and made some 3d cover art for my software (excel spreadsheets). It looks pretty good, but could use some work. I thought my conversions would go up. Nope, the page w/o the box is beating the page with the box by about 2 to 1. I've only been running it for a few days though, so I'm going to keep it going for a while.
I had another idea for improving the image a bit too. Will run a third variation with that image tomorrow probably

Next plan of action is to do my landing page as one long pitch, compared to the four pages I use now, and maybe throw a 2-pager to see if there's yet another difference.

Old 7th February 2006, 05:45 AM   #7
andrew

Default First Post

Hi there

Squeeze pages and their cousins, the all in one long 'sales pitch' advertisment.

They remind me of a soap and as with all soaps, "you've seen one, you seen them all"

Do people really read these things as they all look as though they have been printed off the same copy with a few colour and name changes.

When I open one of these silly pages I do even bother to read them.

Suggest.................. and who I am............ that 'some' originality is called for.

Andrew

andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Maverick
VIP Contributor

Default Your working like a true pro

Jesse,

You're approaching this project like a true pro, the same way the big boys do, and they've been doing it for sometime. Many online entrepreneurs just place advertising or implement a new marketing website concept, watch it fail and assume it can't work, when it may have just needed a little tweaking, like adjusting the knob on a radio to bring a station in much clearer.

Split run testing can be very effective when following the right guidelines. I believe you're referring to the mini-website concept, when you state you are going to use one page instead of four.

"Caveat' Emptor." The caution I suggest is to test this well, because, though this website design has historically been very effective over the last few years, they are all starting to look pretty much the same.

Ever since the e-book "How to make Killer websites" (title is something like that), the Net marketing community has implemented in force. This can be a good thing, but as Andrew just stated about squeeze pages, may apply here, they are ALL starting to look pretty much the same.

If this is the reality, the marketplace may become hardened as to this design, dramatically reducing it's effectiveness. I'm trying a new twist to the old concept at http://tradeswin.com Same concept but a different look actually showing the product near the top of the page.

Consider this

I've been around since the first caveman first hung his "For Sale" sign on the first "wheel" for sale, OK, I don't believe there ever where cavemen, but, what works today, may not work tomorrow. That's why market analyst have a job for life. Ongoing testing in mandatory for continued success.

The mini-website design was a great idea when it first surfaced because it was new and gave the appearance of NEW Insider information, presented in a relatively new manner.

BUT, after a while the public seems (my experience with them) to becoming desensitized toward them. After they've made a purchase from 1 or 1, they often start to realize it's just the ole "Information online, in a written format.

Infomercials still work, but are not near as an effective advertising medium as they once were. I have traced stats on this and seen the diminishing results as to their effectiveness. I've down two myself.

The bottom line? Test the conventional approach with your product. You may be the exception and the typical design format may work for you. Or, consider adjusting the format like I'm doing with tradeswin.com until you make it work. I personal research seems to indicate, "content websites," are gaining ground for traffic.

People come on line for "information," not a sales pitch. Thus it's getting more difficult to motivate them to read one, once they "identify" it as a sales pitch, and I believe this is what may be happening to the long form mini-website concept.

One observerís opinion!

Keep advancing your project toward financial success.

Regards,

Maverick

Old 8th February 2006, 12:28 AM   #9
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Perhaps I should start a new thread documenting my split test results - as long as I don't see competition from some forum members

I tweaked my 3d cover art quite a bit.

No 3d box and the first 3d box are neck and neck now. The first version looked like this:

My second attempt (though only running for about 10 hours) is showing some signs of trumping both prior versions. Hopefully it's not just a flux fluke:

My copy won't change too much if I go to the mini-site look. And I think it won't fall prey too much to that desensitized look we're all used to. I mix it up quite a bit with images - and it really is explanatory - not so much hype (well, the first 2-3 paragraphs are hype).

Hopefully I can get the split test for these changes running by mid-Friday. Man am I loving this tool...I'm making changes to my site and knowing what the heck is going on. In class today I was thinking about it and the great thing about running multiple versions simultaneously is that you remove time from the equation. Prior to this, I would make a change, see an increase or decrease, but not know if it was because I had hit the mid-month slump or what...now that's no longer a factor.

I'll keep you guys posted on it!

Old 8th February 2006, 11:06 AM   #10
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

I don't know why, but the second box is much more appealing to me, too. Keep us posted on how the testing itself goes, even if you don't want to share the actual results.