Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
ashleypryce

Default Is SEO Dying Or Is It Already Dead?

Are you still doing SEO? Do you think the old strategies still work? Do you have any suggestions or thoughts on effective SEO strategies? Also, how do you know if it still works?

ashleypryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Jen 100

Yes, people are still doing SEO, it has not died it's just changed. You will know if your SEO is working if you see results in your page rank and your traffic flow.
Effective SEO tips:
  • Using the right keywords is still important
  • Optimize your site for navigation
  • Quality content that is good for readers that is not stuffed with keywords
  • Quality backlinks with varied anchor text (quality over quantity is the rule these days)
  • Don't give up on creating good meta data and meta tags
  • Update your site with quality content frequently
  • Links from quality directories in your industry
  • Guest posting on quality blogs in your industry
  • Use social media

Old 7th March 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I don't think it is anywhere close to dying. I know with this forum, most here probably found it by searching. Until there is a better way for people on the internet to find what they are looking for, search will remain vital/important. I don't think there is anything more important.

Here is a good article on the recent landscape of seo
http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/how-to-do-seo-in-2013

Old 7th March 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
ashleypryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen 100 View Post
Yes, people are still doing SEO, it has not died it's just changed. You will know if your SEO is working if you see results in your page rank and your traffic flow.
Effective SEO tips:
  • Using the right keywords is still important
  • Optimize your site for navigation
  • Quality content that is good for readers that is not stuffed with keywords
  • Quality backlinks with varied anchor text (quality over quantity is the rule these days)
  • Don't give up on creating good meta data and meta tags
  • Update your site with quality content frequently
  • Links from quality directories in your industry
  • Guest posting on quality blogs in your industry
  • Use social media
I see. Yes. It has changed a lot because of Google's constant algorithm change I think...Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have to try all those for my new site.

Old 7th March 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
ashleypryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't think it is anywhere close to dying. I know with this forum, most here probably found it by searching. Until there is a better way for people on the internet to find what they are looking for, search will remain vital/important. I don't think there is anything more important.

Here is a good article on the recent landscape of seo
http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/how-to-do-seo-in-2013
Thanks Logan! I think I just got too frustrated and overwhelmed because I have a new site to promote and I don't know if my planned strategies will still work.

Old 7th March 2013, 07:20 PM   #6
ScottDecker

Yes and no.

SEO is such a broad, all-encompassing term that too much gets bundled up and sold as "SEO."

Links to your website still count - they always will. But since the recent "Penguin " Google update, you get penalized if you put too many keywords in your link text. Use generic descriptive or url links, and save your keywords for a couple very high PageRank sites.

Link attraction is a huge rank builder - the viral factor. Incorporating social media aspects and competitions helps with this. But mainly, if they like it they link it.

Video is the next big aspect to rank - and upload it to all of the major online sites. Tag videos with your keywords, but again - don't "keyword stuff." Also include your URL in the first part of your video description.

Make sure you're doing the right things with:
page titles
heading / image tags
page name / file structure

Other than that, be helpful. Have great content that the searcher wants to read. Google does everything they can to figure out if people love your site or bail at first glance.

Old 7th March 2013, 08:47 PM   #7
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

I don't think it's going die. How could new sites rank up faster when the well-established ones are not easily moved down in SERPs. Google algorithms are becoming challenging to SEO, but it they aren't meant to destroy the latter entirely.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 11:32 PM   #8
accurate.cygnet

It is dead but for those who has given up, it is not dying, it is changing. Understand the algorithm and updates, it will work your way for sure.

accurate.cygnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 04:08 AM   #9
paulhendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypryce View Post
Are you still doing SEO? Do you think the old strategies still work? Do you have any suggestions or thoughts on effective SEO strategies? Also, how do you know if it still works?
SEO is not yet dead, although it changes because of the Google updates. Even myself, I do a lot of SEO for my business because it is and still effective. If you will just do it right and qualitatively, you will surely succeed in marketing your business online.

paulhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 04:12 AM   #10
bitFAT

SEO is not dying but it has totally changed.The area has become wide and it has merged with other internet marketing techniques.SEO is generally a technique to get good appearance over major search engines.Now SEs are showing blogs,social networking profiles and websites etc things on top searches.How do you get your profiles,blogs,SEs and more results related to your business over SEs? This is the role of SEO now. I hope you have got idea,what I am trying to say!!

Thanks

Last edited by bitFAT; 8th March 2013 at 04:23 AM.
bitFAT is offline   Reply With Quote