Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th May 2011, 02:38 PM   #1
FARRI

Default Is It Neccesary To Cloak Affiliate Links ? & The Best Cloakers ?

Hi I would like to find out if cloaking Affiliate links
Is it neccesary cloak them I was advised to ?.
Also if it is what are some of the best "link cloakers" out there ?.

Thanks Craig

FARRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th July 2011, 01:15 PM   #2
3Aces

Send a message via Skype™ to 3Aces

I'd like to know that too.....

Old 9th July 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Sanity Check

I confess I wasn't previously aware of this issue, but I did a little quick research. Here's what Google has to say about Affiliate links:

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=76465
"Google believes that pure affiliate websites do not provide additional value for web users, especially if they are part of a program that distributes its content to several hundred affiliates. Because a search result could return multiple sites, all with the same content, they create a frustrating user experience."
When you read it, you realize that all they're really saying is that they don't want duplicate content. So cloaking would not only be dangerous (because search engines hate deception), but it also would do nothing to address the issue. The way to address the issue is to make your content, your descriptions of the products and the surrounding text, as unique and different from the source as possible.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:50 AM   #4
3Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
I confess I wasn't previously aware of this issue, but I did a little quick research. Here's what Google has to say about Affiliate links:

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=76465
"Google believes that pure affiliate websites do not provide additional value for web users, especially if they are part of a program that distributes its content to several hundred affiliates. Because a search result could return multiple sites, all with the same content, they create a frustrating user experience."
When you read it, you realize that all they're really saying is that they don't want duplicate content. So cloaking would not only be dangerous (because search engines hate deception), but it also would do nothing to address the issue. The way to address the issue is to make your content, your descriptions of the products and the surrounding text, as unique and different from the source as possible.
Yes, the content needs to be compelling and unique, we know that, don't we? I mean, what does that have to do with link cloaking? Do cloaked links lower the importance of the article/site?

Old 10th July 2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aces View Post
Yes, the content needs to be compelling and unique, we know that, don't we? I mean, what does that have to do with link cloaking? Do cloaked links lower the importance of the article/site?
Yes, I think it's more that cloaking pisses the search engines off because of the deception than anything else. So, they'll lower the site's score (and the scores of the pages that have the cloaked links).

I don't think there's anything particular about affiliate linking that bothers them where cloaking is concerned. They're two, separate issues.

Old 10th July 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
3Aces

Quote:
Yes, I think it's more that cloaking pisses the search engines off because of the deception than anything else. So, they'll lower the site's score (and the scores of the pages that have the cloaked links).

I don't think there's anything particular about affiliate linking that bothers them where cloaking is concerned. They're two, separate issues.
Okay, so in a nutshell, I understand that cloaking links (affiliate or otherwise) on one's own site is not such a great idea. Do URL shorteners like tinyurl fall under cloaking????

Old 10th July 2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aces View Post
Okay, so in a nutshell, I understand that cloaking links (affiliate or otherwise) on one's own site is not such a great idea. Do URL shorteners like tinyurl fall under cloaking????
Cloaking is where a visitor to your site sees something different from what the search engine sees when it spiders your site. So the question becomes: if you link to a page using TinyURL, will a visitor to your site who clicks that link see the same page that Google sees when they spider that same link?

Having said that, there is certainly a degree of deception with a TinyURL link no matter whether the link shows the same page to both users and robots or not, so I would avoid using TinyURL at all on my web site.

Last edited by Sanity Check; 10th July 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10th July 2011, 02:08 PM   #8
3Aces

Quote:
Cloaking is where a visitor to your site sees something different from what the search engine sees when it spiders your site. So the question becomes: if you link to a page using TinyURL, will a visitor to your site who clicks that link see the same page that Google sees when they spider that same link?

Having said that, there is certainly a degree of deception with a TinyURL link no matter whether the link shows the same page to both users and robots or not, so I would avoid using TinyURL at all on my web site.
Thanks for your kind advice I will keep this in mind while working on my affiliate sites.

Old 10th July 2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Sanity Check

You're welcome!

Old 29th July 2011, 01:56 AM   #10
smallbus01

From what I know is the cloaking links just adds spam for search engines which makes everything a lot harder. Yes, it may be a great short-term solution for increasing traffic but in the long it is just spam.

smallbus01 is offline   Reply With Quote