Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th December 2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Cratima
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Cratima Send a message via Yahoo to Cratima

Smile Starting A New Blog?

I've read that blogs are seen better by search engines, because of their continuous update.
We've tried this thing before but we've got little results.
We want to create a new blog. My main interest is to bring traffic for cratima website and new business for the company.
Before we'll decide to transform this thought into reality I have some questions.
1. Should we put the blog on Cratima 's domain name, on should I make a blog on blogspot, myspace...etc.
2. Regarding the content. We want the blog to be about new internet solution that can help new businesses. a) We can search the web, find out news, filtered them and then put the most interesting in our blog. b) We can add value to different news on the net, value from our knowledge and business.
c) Use both articles with added value and some funny stories related to the businesses.
3. How many blog administrators are necessary to make it interesting (with quality and enough information)

Thanks!!!

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th December 2007, 10:19 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Regarding the first question, definitely recommend establishing blog on your own domain. That way you control it and it helps your main site.

Old 11th December 2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I agree with David it is very important to setup your blog on your own domain.

Cratima, see if the following thread helps you get off to a better start this time. I put it together compiling many of our popular threads about starting and promoting a blog

Setup, Create & Promote A Blog
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=15530

Regarding the last question, I think a blog can work just as well with one as many. It has nothing to do with the number of people, imo, but the quality of content that each person is posting instead.

Let me know if it helps & best of luck!

Old 11th December 2007, 03:22 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

I agree with David and Logan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratima View Post
3. How many blog administrators are necessary to make it interesting (with quality and enough information)
One, if that person is a good writer and is allowed enough time to research topics and write the articles (i.e. not expected to keep up the blog in their "spare time" around other full-time duties).

But it can be interesting to have more than one person, so as to get different perspectives and "voices."

The Southwest Airlines' blog Nuts About Southwest is often cited as a top corporate blog that relies on multiple employee contributors. Might want to take a look at that one for some ideas?

--Torka

Old 14th December 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Cratima
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Cratima Send a message via Yahoo to Cratima

Smile blog for cratima

Thanks for the answers.

I will make the blog on cratima 's domain name because this seems to be the best way.
On our first blog we had a person that managed the blog in its spear time and all the info in the blog was researched and little modified from the internet. Now I know that this is not the way!
I'm planing to have a person or a team that add value to the messages because I want I'll improve cratima 's marketing strategy.

Old 14th December 2007, 10:03 AM   #6
sdk1988
VIP Contributor

All the advice is spot on! I set mine up on wordpress dot com...and now am sorry. I didnt know better, and being new to blogging thought I would try it, well it now outranks our website for alot of key words, and now I have the dreaded task of re-doing it on it's own domain! NOT looking forward to that.

sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 12:12 PM   #7
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

Hhhmmmm..... I can't say much about the questions you've asked 'cos I don't know what I'm talking about (but I admit that this has not always stopped me in the past ), but I have to ask if just setting up a blog for the sake of getting traffic is really a good idea...??!

Isn't the point of a blog to say something worth saying? Traffic will/should/could be a nice side effect of that. Just blogging to blog is a bit, well, naff....

S

Old 18th December 2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Skip Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
Regarding the first question, definitely recommend establishing blog on your own domain.
I have my blog on Typepad, but am starting to realize that it should be under my own domain. How do you do a blog without typepad or some similar service? Is it just part of the regular html makeup of the site?

Thanks...

Selling to Consumers | Sales Training to Sell More™
www.SellingToConsumers.com
Skip Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 11:58 AM   #9
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Skip, there are any number of blog software applications you can download and install on your server/domain.

Your hosting company may offer one or more via your control panel.

The one I use is Wordpress (which you can download directly from Wordpress.org if your host doesn't offer it themselves). There are others.

You can code blog functionality on your own, but it's more than just standard HTML in order to get all the functionality that makes a blog, a blog. If you're not already a programmer, it's probably going to be easier to download and install an application that somebody else has written than to try to roll your own.

If your hosting company doesn't allow you to install blog software and doesn't offer the option of installing the blog software for you, frankly you may wish to consider moving your domain to a new hosting company. Hosting is not expensive, and there are many hosting companies out there that make setting up blog software on their accounts very easy.

HTH!

--Torka

Old 19th December 2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Skip Anderson

Yes, that helps. Thanks, Torka.

Selling to Consumers | Sales Training to Sell More™
www.SellingToConsumers.com
Skip Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote