Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st March 2008, 06:29 PM   #1
SophieP

Default Should We Continue To Purchase Links To Improve Our Rank?

How important are links these days to increasing your rank in the search engines? I have been reading conflicting messages. Some say that link popularity is still important to Yahoo and MSN, but not so much for Google anymore. We just started purchasing links (25/month) and the first batch of sites linking to us mostly had Page Ranks of 0 or 1 and there were many outbound links from those link back URL's. They came from different IP addresses and none were sitewide links. I'm wondering if we should continue buying links to get ranked higher or if it is a waste of our money. Any advice?

Thanks,
Sophie

SophieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
RayGoneFishing

Buying links still has its uses, but you need to check out the pages where your link is going to appear before you buy. Paying for a link on a PR1 page you share with 100 other links is a waste of money.

So, instead of buying a fixed amount of links every month, I'd recommend you buy only quality links, even if they are more expensive. Go for quality instead of quantity, even if you can afford only a few links a month instead of the 25 you're buying now. And if you don't find an appropriate website to buy links from, don't just throw your money out of the window, save it for next month.

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 12:04 AM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Paid links can still be very effective IF you buy the right kind of links -

- Decent Page Rank
- Indexed by Google
- Hasn't been penalized by Google as selling links
- Relevant to your business model
- No irrelevant links next to yours
- Low quantity of outgoing links

These are just a few things you should look for.

Old 1st April 2008, 12:26 AM   #4
RayGoneFishing

That's a good guideline, David, although I'm not sure how you'd determine #3. If links are bought to increase PR -- and not just to attract more traffic -- I'd also make sure that links on the page you want to get on are not nofollowed.

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 02:40 AM   #5
Baselux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieP View Post
How important are links these days to increasing your rank in the search engines? I have been reading conflicting messages. Some say that link popularity is still important to Yahoo and MSN, but not so much for Google anymore. We just started purchasing links (25/month) and the first batch of sites linking to us mostly had Page Ranks of 0 or 1 and there were many outbound links from those link back URL's. They came from different IP addresses and none were sitewide links. I'm wondering if we should continue buying links to get ranked higher or if it is a waste of our money. Any advice?

Thanks,
Sophie
It would be better if you can get quality links than buying links. You can build links or hire link builder to do the job for you.

Baselux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Harrymurad

Send a message via Skype™ to Harrymurad

i have also purchased links for $20 USD and i didn't find it for any use , there were many outbound links. I think buying a link is for no use.Its just the waste for money.

Harrymurad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 01:15 PM   #7
SophieP

Thank you all for your responses. We will contact our link provider and ask for better link sites. You guys are awesome.

Sophie

SophieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 04:50 AM   #8
Zafar Ahmed

Hi Sophie,

Google algo is based on links pointing to your website, this is how you get the PR and good SERP, moreover - if the website is irrelevant and you have a link there, this is still count as "backlinks". However, it is always good to have a link on a relevant website. This way, you can get targetted traffic to your website as well.

PR is not everything, right?

Zafar Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 07:02 PM   #9
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrymurad View Post
i have also purchased links for $20 USD and i didn't find it for any use , there were many outbound links. I think buying a link is for no use.Its just the waste for money.

Wrong conclusion based upon your own mistakes. You can buy VERY good links that will help your rank but you have to do it right. Like anything, consult a professional.

Here is company that is a good resource for link building. Submit Edge

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 10:20 PM   #10
cpr
VIP Contributor

Hire a link builder... is this a service, or you mean actually hire someone to do this for us?