Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 9th April 2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Dale King
VIP Contributor
 
Dale King's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guilderland, NY
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The real horror of the story is that to this day there are probably millions of people who truly believe that Bayer's product is superior, works faster and or better, etc.
There's nothing horrifying about that at all. That's called effective marketing and branding, which is precisely the point of this conversation.

Dale King


Last edited by Dale King; 9th April 2008 at 01:38 PM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th April 2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Logan
Administrator
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,046
Default

There are two scenarios with your marketing efforts

1) Get someone to purchase from you instead of an alternative (Bayer vs Generic). A certain number of people are going to buy aspirin regardless of bayer. Their efforts are to get as many people who are already going to purchase aspirin to select their brand versus alternatives.

2) Get people to purchase your product who normally wouldn't buy yours or an alternative (take aspirin because good for heart). By promoting the benefits of aspirin, Bayer has created new markets of people purchasing aspirin who normally would not have without their marketing message. Because they lead this effort (who else markets aspirin), they are often top of mind when the purchase decision is made at the shelf.

In both cases, Bayer has been very successful with marketing a commodity product. Sure, I and many don't buy Bayer. But millions do with habit, just like the catalog shopper's routine.

Thanks for sharing Dale. Great example of effective marketing we can all learn from!

__________________
Search Engine Guide - Small Business Guide to Search Marketing
Small Business Brief - Small Business Ideas Forum, Articles & News
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 02:25 PM   #13
pete
VIP Contributor
 
pete's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 488
Default

Dale, I can't help but chuckle over the fact that you are praising Bayer for their hype of a basic commodity by calling it effective marketing and branding, which it is, and the signature line - If you're tired of all the money-making hype, lies and scams...read this!

Isn't that just what Bayer is doing. Hyping a basically generic product and making it a premium item which is no more effective then it's Price Club 10,000 for 2 bucks cousin?

Yeah, I exaggerated. Probably just 1,000 for 3 bucks.
.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 03:04 PM   #14
Dale King
VIP Contributor
 
Dale King's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guilderland, NY
Posts: 797
Default

Pete, what planet do you live on? I can't help but chuckle over your cynicism and self-rightousness. Bayer is one of the mosted trusted brands in the world, and they achieved that staus primarily because of their marketing. There is nothing wrong with that, and it's certainly not against the law. We live in a free-enterprise, capitalistic society, where the cleverest, most-adaptable and strongest survive.

No, Bayer isn't superior to any other aspirin product. I never said that it was. Once again, you're missing the entire point of this conversation. Other industry leaders like Coca Cola, McDonalds or Federal Express aren't superior to their competitors either. But that's not the point. The point is, they're all doing the exact same thing that this forum and tens of thousands of other businesses do every single day - positioning and promoting themselves to the best of their ability. And that's exactly what effective marketing is all about.

Go fight another battle, dude!

Dale King


Last edited by Dale King; 11th April 2008 at 09:09 AM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 03:16 PM   #15
Dale King
VIP Contributor
 
Dale King's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guilderland, NY
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Bayer has been very successful with marketing a commodity product. Sure, I and many don't buy Bayer. But millions do with habit, just like the catalog shopper's routine.

Thanks for sharing Dale. Great example of effective marketing we can all learn from!
Thank you, Chris and thanks for your fine examples. You picked up on my point beautifully, and ran with it.

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 06:25 AM   #16
Prashu
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Dear Dale
Thanks for the amazing example and its interesting to see how you would like to prove your point. What I am puzzled about is therefore, "so what?" My question is why do you want to make this point ? Is there something new in what you say? I think this is why many people in this thread including me, went our own way in discussing this issue.

Prashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 10:14 AM   #17
Dale King
VIP Contributor
 
Dale King's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guilderland, NY
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashu View Post
Dear Dale
Thanks for the amazing example and its interesting to see how you would like to prove your point. What I am puzzled about is therefore, "so what?" My question is why do you want to make this point ? Is there something new in what you say? I think this is why many people in this thread including me, went our own way in discussing this issue.
Prashu, first of all, thank you for your kind words. Now to answer your question. The reason I started this conversation was to teach people about the importance and effectiveness of positioning and marketing. And while it's true, this isn't a revolutionary new marketing idea, there are many people who have never heard of or bother to practice these fundamentally important marketing technques. And those that do practice the fundamentals sometimes need positive reinforcement and encouragement to continue moving in the right direction. It's been my experience that providing examples of successful companies helps to achieve that goal.

People come to this forum to learn, and while this conversation may seem elementary and redundant to some, it's enlightening and useful to many others - even though they may not always say so publicly. How do I know? Because I constantly get pm's from people thanking me for sharing my knowledge with the forum.

Those are the people I'm here for.

Dale King


Last edited by Dale King; 10th April 2008 at 10:39 AM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Prashu
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale King View Post
Those are the people I'm here for.

Dale King

good. Encouragement is always needed. May be you can throw some light on "How to position and market a product...in the lines of Bayer". It would be helpful for people like me who also value means as equally important as the end, especially if someone teaches citing the ends achieved by only some in an ivory tower.

Prashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 11:25 AM   #19
Dale King
VIP Contributor
 
Dale King's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guilderland, NY
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashu View Post
good. Encouragement is always needed. May be you can throw some light on "How to position and market a product...in the lines of Bayer".
No problem. I can do that. The easist way for a small company to position their products or services is to become known as an expert in your field. Once you become known as an expert, doors open for you and there is less resistance to your offerings.

So how do you become known as an expert. There are many ways. Here are just a few:

1. Write a book

2. Write articles

3. Volunteer your expertise on websites like AllExperts.com

4. Volunteer your expertise on forums.

Just make sure that you are actually an expert at what you do, or you will be quickly exposed as a fraud and lose all credibility. That doesn't mean that you always have to be right. No one is right all the time. But you'd better know what you're talking about 99% of the time.

5. Be a market leader. If you're first in your category, you're more than likely to be considered the best. Why? It's a pychological thing. People just naturally gravitate to the perceived leader in any field. It's human nature.

6. Develop a catchy slogan or jingle. Catchy slogans and jingles have helped launch some of the world's best known products. For example, "Things go better with Coke!" or "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun." Or "A day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine!"

I could go on and on forever with examples, but I'm going to stop now, before I end up writing an article on positioning. In fact, I just might do that.

Dale King


Last edited by Dale King; 11th April 2008 at 09:11 AM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 11:49 AM   #20
pete
VIP Contributor
 
pete's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 488
Default

Dale, I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. In fact I started to reply along this vein earlier, but put it off.

With those catchy phrases there are many that are so catchy they lose their connectivity to the advertiser.

Many know the bunny sells batteries, but not which brand.

"Where's the beef" is still part of the language 20 some years after it was used in an ad. but few know the burger chain that used it.

The same with many other slogans. They actually become too good. People know the slogan, may know the general product, but cannot correctly tie it to the actual advertiser.
.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   

Bookmarks




Thread Tools

Get Updates
RSS Feeds:
RSS Feed for General Small Business Issues RSS for this Category Only: General Small Business Issues

RSS Feed for Small Business Ideas Forum RSS for Entire Forum
Forum Rules


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Small Business Ideas Forum


 
At Your Business - Small Business Directory
Free Business Forms - Prewritten Documents
 
Search Engine Guide
Small business guide to search marketing

 
Small Business Brief
Fetching the Best Small Business Info


Free Links - Free Advertising
Free Guide - Online Directory



Advertise your business here
Contact us for more details!


Semantic Juice
Register now to access free Quick SEO service!


Rocket Lawyer
Sign up for free 7 day trial. Boost your biz!


Buy UPC Codes
Get your products listed online!




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018 - Privacy