Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th June 2011, 03:27 PM   #1
jcrewe

Default Looking For Advice And Your Opinion On My Business

Hi everyone!

I am new here and I am really looking for some help here as I am totally stumped as to why I am getting very few sales from my website. I just want to start by saying that I am NOT using this to get more hits to my website....I really truly would appreciate some CONSTRUCTIVE critisism on my website, the products I offer and my prices.

My website address is posted in my signature as we are not allowed to post website in the content of the thread.

My site receives quite a few hits from local residents....here are some stats for the last 30 days:

456 Visitors of which:
338 were NEW visitors
Total time spend 14h 33m
Bounce rate 38% (Bounce rate is when a viewer visits your website and them leaves quickly)
Even with the bounce rate at 38%, that still leaves 282 visitors perusing my website.

I have only received a few orders within the last 30 days and I am baffled as to why.....what am I doing wrong? Is my website that horrible? Or maybe my pricing is off, although my pricing is in line with my competitors (as few as there are in my area).

I would love to hear what others think....please be kind, I've worked very hard at creating my website and my business.

Thank you

Jennifer

jcrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th June 2011, 05:58 PM   #2
TylerHutchinson

Hey Jenifer, I do not see your signature to be able to take a look. What sort of products do you sell? And how are you marketing your website? Could it be you are not marketing to the right demographic for your products?

An example of a business I helped last month is they had a product (cartoon website) that they had. They were marketing for 35-44 males and were wondering why they were not getting many hits and they had a very high bounce rate (89%). When I looked at his business and his cartoons, and web layout I noticed firs the site wasn't set up very well. It did not explain the show and the home page was pretty bad. Looking at the cartoon tho I advised him to drop his demographics down more (18-35). I developed a new marketing campaign and now in June he has tripled his viewership.

So in short it is understanding who buys your product and presenting it in a nice way for that target market. If you can post or send me your link I would be more then happy to take a look at your business specifically.

Old 28th June 2011, 06:27 PM   #3
jcrewe

Thank you Tyler for your response

Weird that my signature isnt showing up....i have double checked my settings and I have entered my website address and facebook address in the appropriate fields. In any event.................

My business name is Fun Wrappers Personalized Event Favours and I make custom event favours for celebrations such as weddings, birthdays, baby showers etc. I offer custom chocolate bars, wine and water bottle labels, invitations, lip balm, Rolo cigars, tic tacs etc.

For advertising, I advertise on quite a few wedding websites such as Market Place Wedding Directory, Team Wedding and Bridal Services Network. I also do alot of advertising on Craigslist with specific posts for each item I sell gearing towards weddings, birthdays and baby showers. I think I am hitting the right demographic as my advertising is quite specific so that leads me to believe that it's either my website, my product or my pricing. All of the orders I have had, my customers LOVED the product and the comments I always get from people is that it is a neat, unique idea it is (at least for my area).

I dont know how I can get your my web address so I am going to try to post it here....the mods might end up deleting it though www.funwrappers.ca

I would be grateful for any advise you can give me, Tyler

thanks so much!

Jennifer

Old 28th June 2011, 11:10 PM   #4
jcrewe

Hi Tyler,

Thank you so much for your response. I did reply to you earlier but it has not yet been approved and I am going to take a guess that it is because I added a link to my website....I thought that if the mods had a problem with that, they would just delete that section and post the rest of my reply but after checking out other threads here it appears that is not what is done on this forum which means I am going to have to retype my reply

Regarding my signature, it appears that I am not yet allowed to have a signature until I post a few more times....I have no idea how I am going to get you my web address so you can take a look at my site....any ideas?

I sell personalized event favours such as chocolate bars, wine and water bottle labels, tic tacs, Rolo cigars as well as invitations. These are all for events such as weddings, birthdays, baby showers etc.

For advertising, I advertise on quite a few wedding websites, social media and a very popular online classefieds site. I have individual online classefieds for all of my items explaining exactly what I am offering.

I think I am targeting the right demographics but I guess you never know..haha! There are not alot of companies such as mine in my local area so I do tend to advertise locally, except the wedding website advertising is for all of Canada. The online classefieds are local.

My bounce rate seems kinda high so I am wondering if it is my website? My pricing seems inline with similiar companies.

I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

Old 29th June 2011, 03:08 AM   #5
Sanity Check

Hi Jennifer. Conversion problems are usually about the initial presentation. As with offline advertising, website advertising gives you about 1.5 seconds to gain the visitor's attention.

If you've succeeded in keeping your bounce rate down below 40%, it means you've gotten their attention, but you haven't used it effectively. Take a closer look at what action steps you are asking them to take. Do they make sense?

Also, a short video on the home page can really help, because it shows the person behind the product.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Sanity Check

Regarding your signature...I think it kicks in either once your posts are no longer held for moderation or else after you've posted a certain number of messages on the forum. Could be wrong, but that's what seemed to happen with me.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 08:40 PM   #7
TylerHutchinson

OK, I got your site!

From first glance, your home page is pretty plain. The site overall is good but I would add to the main page. At some pictures of your work. Maybe a slide show on your homepage of different events you have done, or some sort of graphics to make it more catching. It looks like you had something but it errors for me.

I think your prices are reasonable. Since I have never shopped around for these services I wouldn't know for sure. Are some of these services well known? Do you only do the wrappers or do you set up and run the events also?

This is my thought, why don't you contract and link with catering and wedding companies? Offer them a discount on your services if they promote your services. I would think that it would be a good add on for their business to be able to have that as well. By networking and contracting with these businesses you should see decent business I would imagine.

I would also think a lot of this industry is word of mouth. People going to these events and see it and like it. So I would also recommend making sure at the events your company name is somewhere. Either on the wrappers themselves, or make sure the person who hired you has their info and even ask them to post it somewhere for guests to see.

Old 29th June 2011, 10:37 PM   #8
jcrewe

Hi Tyler,

Thank you so much for your reply and advise. I think you are right about the home page....even my husband said it was plain but I just didnt know what to put on it. I like your slideshow suggestion

I have collaborated with a few wedding planners and even some u-brew/u-vin companies for my wine bottle labels. I offer them 'wholesale' pricing and provide them with a design portfolio to show their clients as well as order forms. I also put 'custom made by (my web addy here)' on the back of each wrapper and with large orders I slide a business card inbetween the foil covering the chocolate bar and the custom wrapper in about 1/3 of the chocolate bars. I always seem to get orders from people who have attended an event where the host had some.

I only do the personalized favours, not the event planning, although event planning is something that I have always wanted to do but my area is flooded with event planners so it can be pretty cut throat. I thought this was a pretty good 'second' choice...haha! This is a business that I run out of my home and I will also be returning to 'work' in September as I am currently on maternity leave. I am trying my hardest to have a solid foundation set so that I can still provide top notch customer service to my clients when I return to my J-O-B.

You're right about alot of this industry being word of mouth because that is actually where i get most of my business. Although, with over 400 hits to my website in 30 days and only a few orders I am definitely doing something wrong on the internet side of the business.

I am definitely going to change my home page and make a few other edits to my website. I am going to have to sit down and think about all the companies I can contact to try to collaborate with. About a month ago I spent hours and hours contacting all of the u-brew/u-vin companies in British Columbia introducing myself and my company. I sent at least a hundred emails and heard back from four and have received one fairly large order for a real estate agent which means that customer will most likely be a repeat customer.

I really, truly appreciate all of your advise and comments about my business and website.....I'm glad to hear that my site isnt as bad as I thought. I was thinking I was going to have to redo the entire site which took me forever to create. I know it is not perfect but hopefully with the advise I have received I will be able to make changes that will make a difference in my sales

I'd also like to thank Sanity Check for the time you took to check out my site and reply to my post.....I like your video idea and will think about how I can incorporate that also. I was thinking of maybe putting an introduction video on my About us page introducing myself. I know when I deal with companies online I like to see that there is a real live person there so maybe something like that will work to my advantage.

I guess I have my work cut out for me now...lol!

Thanks again so very much for all the advise....I am grateful to you both

Old 29th June 2011, 10:41 PM   #9
TylerHutchinson

Your very welcome. If you have follow up questions about your company or site put it on here or email me directly. I am more then happy to take a look and help you with strategies to increase business. I do consulting and marketing so I'm alright at it lol. I enjoy helping people on forms with questions so please feel free.

Old 30th June 2011, 02:14 AM   #10
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Have you analyzed where did all your traffic come from? Are you attracting your targeted audience? How does your website ranked in search engines for your preferred keywords?

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote