Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd September 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation SEO Myth: Google Does Not Count "Nofollow" Links

I just read a thread on another forum where the original poster is absoultely convinced that forum signatures are usless because Google doesn't count "Nofollow" links. He's dead wrong, of course. But before I explain why he's wrong, let me give you a little background on Nofollow links.

The NoFollow tag was introduced by Google in 2005, as a way to prevent spammers from acquiring a ton of easy, valuable backlinks, by simply commenting on blog posts. In addition, people would also spam forums for the sole purpose of acquiring inbound links via their signature file. As a consequence of Nofollow, everyone simply assumed, Google would no longer count these links. They assumed wrong.

Any competent SEO expert will tell you, Google looks suspiciously at sites that have an unbalanced ratio of Dofollow links to Nofollow. Why? Because it's an unnatural linking pattern that's why. It's also a huge red flag! Google prefers a healthy combination of both Dofollow and Nofollow links.

So contrary to popular belief, Nofollow links do add to a site’s overall link profile, as well as its ability to rank for keyword phrases. But you shouldn't be posting on forums for the backlinks anyway; that's both short-sighted and foolish. Your purpose for joining forums should be to learn, as well as contribute value to the forums. Learn and contribute value.

If you do that, you will be rewarded ten-fold. I promise you!

David Jackson

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd September 2011, 02:21 PM   #2
CodyLoco

I agree with the OP- nofollow links do still matter - I have more nofollow links show up in webmaster tools than follow links and I still think they have an effect on your rankings.

CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 02:23 PM   #3
CodyLoco

Actually I want to add something too:

As far as I remember - nofollow wasn't originally so much to tell Google not to credit PR for the links - that was more of a side effect -- it was supposed to truly be to tell Google not to follow a link while it was going through your site, for example - if you had a link to a register or a login page, there was no reason for Google to crawl that page, so you'd add nofollow. Correct me if I'm wrong of course:P

CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:14 PM   #4
logoplanetlab

Default I didn't realize that...

I thought that the "nofollow" tag asked search engines to IGNORE all contributing links? So you're saying this is not necessarily so in ALL such cases – depending on the quality of the page from which the "nofollow" tag originates? Interesting topic – thanks for your information.

logoplanetlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoplanetlab View Post
I thought that the "nofollow" tag asked search engines to IGNORE all contributing links? So you're saying this is not necessarily so in ALL such cases – depending on the quality of the page from which the "nofollow" tag originates?
That's not what I'm saying at all. I clearly stated my position which is, Google prefers a healthy combination of both Dofollow and Nofollow links. Thanks for your response.

David Jackson

Old 22nd September 2011, 10:21 PM   #6
logoplanetlab

Thumbs up Clarification...

Yes sir, I was implying "a healthy combination of both Dofollow and Nofollow links" when I said depending on "the quality" of the page from which the "nofollow" tag originates. I understand what you're saying, and thanks again.

logoplanetlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:54 AM   #7
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoplanetlab View Post
Yes sir, I was implying "a healthy combination of both Dofollow and Nofollow links" when I said depending on "the quality" of the page from which the "nofollow" tag originates. I understand what you're saying, and thanks again.
You're quite welcome, and welcome to the forum!
David Jackson

Old 24th September 2011, 08:24 AM   #8
danial09

Default PLease do clarify more regarding nofollow

Hi,

If a website developer or designer coded a page as "no follow" it will not rank on Google thus Google does not crawl over the page .......this is what i have heard and learn....i couldn't get you, how Google PR with equal to both Do follow and no follow??????????......this no follow has introduced to avoid spammers.....then how does this get preferences??????

Please do clarify......even i am a newbie......if i was wrong sorry in advance

danial09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 09:40 AM   #9
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danial09 View Post
If a website developer or designer coded a page as "no follow" it will not rank on Google thus Google does not crawl over the page .......this is what i have heard and learn....i couldn't get you, how Google PR with equal to both Do follow and no follow??????????......this no follow has introduced to avoid spammers.....then how does this get preferences??????

Please do clarify......even i am a newbie......if i was wrong sorry in advance
My apologies, I should have been more clear. While Nofollow doesn't influence PageRank or pass link juice, it does contribute to your overall search engine ranking. That's because Google prefers a healthy combination of both Dofollow and Nofollow links. Having all Dofollow links is an unnatural linking pattern and looks suspicious to Google. As a consequence, Nofollow links do add to a site’s overall link profile, and has the ability to rank for keyword phrases.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 25th September 2011 at 09:42 AM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 08:08 PM   #10
SmallBusinClick

My opinion: nofollow links count, they bring traffic. The nofollow links are as good as the website. If the website is dead, those links are dead as well.