Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd April 2008, 12:02 AM   #1
orbstudio

Default 10 Things To Think About When Selecting A Web Designer

Hi,
My first article about web design is called:

10 Things To Think About When Selecting A Web Designer

and can be found here:

http://www.orbstudio.net/select-a-web-designer

Please let me know what you think and if it was helpful, thanks!

Last edited by orbstudio; 22nd April 2008 at 06:34 AM.
orbstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd April 2008, 02:15 AM   #2
ideas2earn

I can't access it. Not uncommon from my office in China but if it's only 10 thing couldn't you have highlited them here?

If I had to have a go I'd be thinking: -
What experience do they have?
Do they work with a team of coders/SEO people or do they do it all?
If they have done re-design work what was the impact on sales?
Do they use CSS? (as opposed to SEO unfriendly tables)?
Are they collaborative or do they just want to run off and bring back ideas?
Does their own website follow best practise based on your existing knowledge of design and SEO principles?
Has anyone you know used them?
Do their references check out?

OK I ran out at 8 but its not really my thing. Can you share your 10 with us here? Please.

ideas2earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 02:23 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Hi ideas2earn, we just started accepting articles and part of that is to provide a short quote from the article. I'm going to take the 10 bulleted points and add them here, and then within the article it expands further on each

Quote:
1. Look at the detail of the web design company’s own website.

2. Know what you want.

3. Ask if a detailed quote is available.

4. What level of support is available during and after building your website?

5. What do other clients think about the web designer?

6. Will your site be search engine friendly?

7. How will you be billed?

8. How much control will you have over content?

9. How is communication between you and the web designer?

10. Ask for a resume.
hth. we do not allow the whole article to be copied here.

Old 22nd April 2008, 02:31 AM   #4
ideas2earn

Thanks. Its enough to raise interest (I will read the main article when I get home).

ideas2earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 04:03 AM   #5
orbstudio

Thanks for your help with the quote, I appreciate it!

orbstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 03:45 AM   #6
whitenoise

Just a quickie for newbies really; recently I had a site designed for me once and learned a big lesson too... I found a site upon which I wanted mine modelling & I should have asked for it to be designed wholly in html, but it was done in CSS (owing to my ignorance, I didn't specify in the project outline).

At the time I was unfamiliar with CSS and it was a pain to convert (using the design software I use). Fortunately the designer was able to supply a txt/html version of sorts, but one has to be SO careful, as sometimes the codes don't correlate exactly and one can be left with something not quite to their liking.

whitenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Mach 9

Default Good article

This is a good article. It really points out some key features. I think the biggest one I find thats so disappointing is a designer or developers own website. We all know that your own website is the last thing to get worked on because its not billable, but in reality its your primary sales tool, and really shows off what you can do and how creative you can be. I would really look at the person /company you are going to hire and analize their website and see if their ideas, content, and designs go well with the direction you are thinking of going.

Mach 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 08:15 PM   #8
autumnbiz

Good article. Consumers should also know if the designer is working off a template or from scratch. Quality designers who know their stuff will not cheat off a template unless the customer asks them to use a chosen template to bring down the project cost.

Also, be willing to spend enough to get the job done right. This is your online image and a HUGE marketing tool. Skimp on your site and your business will suffer.

cheers!

autumnbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Narhir

Send a message via ICQ to Narhir Send a message via MSN to Narhir Send a message via Yahoo to Narhir Send a message via Skype™ to Narhir

Nice article, I liked it

Something like that may provide help for both sides but I would add not only looking at company website but also at the list of website with this company did in portfolio

Best Wishes
Charlie

Narhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 01:33 AM   #10
mobiHolly

That's a great article! Is it helping you get business, or are you primarily a writer? I always like to find out what benefit people get from the work they put into something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoise View Post
Just a quickie for newbies really; recently I had a site designed for me once and learned a big lesson too... I found a site upon which I wanted mine modelling & I should have asked for it to be designed wholly in html, but it was done in CSS (owing to my ignorance, I didn't specify in the project outline).

At the time I was unfamiliar with CSS and it was a pain to convert (using the design software I use). Fortunately the designer was able to supply a txt/html version of sorts, but one has to be SO careful, as sometimes the codes don't correlate exactly and one can be left with something not quite to their liking.
Ouch! It sounds like you had a rough time. The spacing on CSS can be very difficult to learn and it is easy to mess up a site.

For style purposes, CSS is actually a lot easier to update because you only have to change the style sheet instead of changing every line of inline code for things like <b> for bold and <i> for italics which were fine in older versions of html but will hurt your site now. If you need to learn CSS (which I fully recommend) you can do a search for w3schools. It's free and has an editor for your to try out the code on a sample website. I would give you a link but it is not allowed in the body of these messages.

This is one of those cases where it might be worth your while to learn a new skill rather than hurting your website's usability.

Good luck!

mobiHolly is offline   Reply With Quote