Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th March 2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Giap

Default What Is The Real Value Of Inbound Links From Your Blog Comments?

What Is The Real Value Of Inbound Links From Your Blog Comments?

I have done much research on Inbound Links but I cannot find any exact affirmation on the
real value of inbound links from your blog comments.

I am certain these are high value inbound links:
1. One-way inbound links from the anchor text of relevant content PageRank 1-10 sites.
2. One-way inbound links from relevant Directories with high PageRank.
3. One-way inbound links from the anchor text of relevant content PageRank 1-10 Article Directory sites.
4. One-way inbound links from PageRank 1-10 Social Bookmarking sites.

There are some value regarding inbound links from your blog comments, but how much?

From an empirical analysis point of view, I don't think the search engines would assign good
value to these blog comments links.

Search engines use inbound links as third party votes to the quality of the web pages for ranking.
Blog comments are self generated, how can that count as third party endorsing votes to your own sites?

It would be helpful if you can ascertain the real value of inbound links from your blog comments.

Any personal experience?

Any knowledge?

Because of the above uncertainties and for the sole purpose of getting inbound links,
I have not done blog comments so far.

What is your view?

Giap

Giap is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th April 2010, 05:57 AM   #2
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Default Re: What Is The Real Value Of Inbound Links From Your Blog Comments?

Giap your thoughts are valid that search engine like Google.com don't prefer links from the Blogs WHY?
The main reason for un-liking the blogs outbound links because all the outbound links are tagged as "NOFOLLOW". No-Follow comments are never followed by Google and thats why there value is zero.

Regards
Jeff

Old 20th April 2010, 07:12 AM   #3
SteveWeber

Yes, most blogs add the No Follow tag. To check a specific blog, just go into the code view via the browser and find a link in the comments area of the code. You will see the no follow tag there if they are using it.

SteveWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 01:31 PM   #4
ernest1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWeber View Post
Yes, most blogs add the No Follow tag. To check a specific blog, just go into the code view via the browser and find a link in the comments area of the code. You will see the no follow tag there if they are using it.
Some sites like digg are no follow yet I find it is still good to add your link to it because you'll get exposure over time.

blog comments are a great way to target your market however it all depends on what blogs you are posting on.

so if you have a toy store you don't really want to post a comment on a gardening blog.

also make sure your comment has some kind of relevance, like you actually read the blog. Many blogs are moderated due to the spam so with a legit blog comment and adding your input most ppl will be likely to accept your blog comment and click your link if you are saying something useful

hope that helps

ernest1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 09:46 AM   #5
trm21

I agree with what Ernest said.

If you are posting in relevant blogs with LOTS of readers (1,000+), then you can get some exposure and clicks to your site. Also, if you make your posting name the product name, or preferably, something enticing for people click on, then you can see a rather decent increase in traffic. For example, if you have a free newsletter at a weightlifting site, then post under the name "FREE Weightlifting Newsletter" as that will be the anchor text for your site.

I have had some success getting traffic this way. Hope it helps!

trm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Jonashastings

on your post its like that google is thinking like human.
anyway here is what I understand about it.

google is concern with the link to your site from other websites and its relevance will be based on the content of the page (your comment also) which is only google knows how it rates each sites.

And do follow and no follow is for the crawler not for human and where the traffic really comes.

Jonashastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giap View Post
What Is The Real Value Of Inbound Links From Your Blog Comments?

I have done much research on Inbound Links but I cannot find any exact affirmation on the
real value of inbound links from your blog comments.

I am certain these are high value inbound links:
1. One-way inbound links from the anchor text of relevant content PageRank 1-10 sites.
2. One-way inbound links from relevant Directories with high PageRank.
3. One-way inbound links from the anchor text of relevant content PageRank 1-10 Article Directory sites.
4. One-way inbound links from PageRank 1-10 Social Bookmarking sites.

There are some value regarding inbound links from your blog comments, but how much?

From an empirical analysis point of view, I don't think the search engines would assign good
value to these blog comments links.

Search engines use inbound links as third party votes to the quality of the web pages for ranking.
Blog comments are self generated, how can that count as third party endorsing votes to your own sites?

It would be helpful if you can ascertain the real value of inbound links from your blog comments.

Any personal experience?

Any knowledge?

Because of the above uncertainties and for the sole purpose of getting inbound links,
I have not done blog comments so far.

What is your view?

Giap

I find it funny that you consider #2, #3, and #4 in your list as "high value inbound links" yet you say that blog commenting links carry less value somehow because "Blog comments are self generated" and question "how can [self generated blog comments] count as third party endorsing votes to your own sites".

Don't you know that directory submissions, article submissions, social bookmarking, blog commenting, forum signatures, etc. are ALL "self generated" links NONE of which are "third party endorsing votes to your own sites." These are ALL unnatural link building techniques where a webmaster "plants" links to his/her site on another site. None are "natural" link building techniques where other webmasters freely give a link to your site because they see it as a great resource for their visitors.

Don't get me wrong... Personally, I think blog commenting is pretty much a total waste of time if you are looking for it from an SEO perspective and somehow thinking those blog comment links will help rankings. 99.999+% of blog comments on the web a NOFOLLOW links and are counted from a ranking perspective at VERY few search engines... and only in the second tier engines. In the time it takes to identify relevant "do" FOLLOW blogs in my niche, I can find dozens of forums, article submission sites, directories, etc. where I can build FOLLOWed links.

Blog commenting still has value if you are commenting on blogs related to your niche as it can drive very targeted traffic to your site, assuming your participation in the discussions leads readers to believe you know WTH you're talking about. But from an SEO perspective, it is a poor link building strategy IMO.

Old 2nd October 2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Kalen

What Ernest said is only partially true. Yes, all new links on Digg and other social bookmarking are nofollow but that nofollow tag is usually removed after the link becomes popular.

As for blog comments, I one of the things that Google looks at is trust. They created the concept of nofollow primarily to fight blog spam. This hints to you about what google thinks of blog comment backlinks. That doesn't by any means suggest dofollow blogs should be avoided. If they are from relevant high link pages that allow Commentluv (ie keywords in the link) they are going to be a great benefit like anything else. But Google may not trust you if you have nothing but backlinks from blog comments.

Kalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalen View Post
What Ernest said is only partially true. Yes, all new links on Digg and other social bookmarking are nofollow but that nofollow tag is usually removed after the link becomes popular.
True... but I'd venture to say that probably 99.99% of all URLs submitted to Digg never get additional Diggs or at least enough to get the NOFOLLOW removed. VERY few ever become popular enough to become FOLLOWed. The few that do are typically by the same small percentage of Diggers who have a huge network of fellow Diggers that they contact via IM when they post something and tell their friends to go dig it as a favor. Other than that something has to be really viral to get enough Diggs to get the NOFOLLOW removed.

Old 7th October 2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Asim

Send a message via MSN to Asim Send a message via Skype™ to Asim

I have just started using blog commenting to market my site and have had some success with it. I Am not only getting quality links but also getting getting traffic from these blogs. I am only targeting blogs that are related to my website in some way.