Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2007, 07:25 AM   #11
_detz_
VIP Contributor

Same here...well, I hate Windows all together but at least XP ran well. I get more errors in Vista than I ever did in XP, it crashes to blue screen at least once a week and the time it takes to copy/move files it probably 20% slower than any other OS(because of security). I do like the fancy graphics though. :-)

http://www.invoicejournal.com - Invoice your customers for free.
_detz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st August 2007, 08:19 AM   #12
Old Welsh Guy

Ok I got my new machine this morning, ran some tests on it to make sure it is working OK.

Is there any sort of screwy thing going on with placing copyrighted DVD's in a RW drive? I ask as I placed one in, set it to run, and the system locks up at the copyright warning. Other DVD's will play, but when I loaded a disk with MP3's on it, I got a black screen but the music was playing and an error message telling me that the monitor does not support this resolution?

I can only assume that windows media player is trying to set the resolution to a spec the monitor will not allow (which is odd as it is a very high res monitor)

I have had it a couple of hours and already am thinking of wiping it and placing my spare copy of XP pro on it.

Old 31st August 2007, 08:48 AM   #13
_detz_
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Welsh Guy View Post
Ok I got my new machine this morning, ran some tests on it to make sure it is working OK.

Is there any sort of screwy thing going on with placing copyrighted DVD's in a RW drive? I ask as I placed one in, set it to run, and the system locks up at the copyright warning. Other DVD's will play, but when I loaded a disk with MP3's on it, I got a black screen but the music was playing and an error message telling me that the monitor does not support this resolution?

I can only assume that windows media player is trying to set the resolution to a spec the monitor will not allow (which is odd as it is a very high res monitor)

I have had it a couple of hours and already am thinking of wiping it and placing my spare copy of XP pro on it.
To be honest if I didn't have all my programs installed I would switch back but since I hardly use Windows it's not worth it for me. If I was going to use it for a daily computer I would, it's still too new. There is a crap load of copy protection stuff in the system which makes playing legit copies a pain in the butt...you can get around it with some digging on Google though. Good luck.

http://www.invoicejournal.com - Invoice your customers for free.
_detz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Old Welsh Guy

It has annoyed me as I inted using the machine to view stuff online and at the desk. WHY can't I watch a LEGALLY bought DVD on my LEGALLY bought Operating sytem on my LEGALLY BOUGHT computer?

Talk about human rights eh LOL

Old 31st August 2007, 05:35 PM   #15
StupidScript
Administrator

OWG, there are some updates to WMDRM (DRM-enabled Windows Media Player) that you should grab ... actually, I think there are somewhere around 70 patches available for Vista that need to be installed on a new system. You are describing conflicts between your content and Microsoft's DRM (Digital Rights Management) "protection" scheme. That's the one that protects you from becoming a pirate by preventing you from being able to copy a copyrighted disc, or most MP3s and anything downloaded from iTunes or a similar DRM-enabled service. (MSDRM isn't quite done, yet, hence the conflicts.)

Just because you bought the thing doesn't mean it's "yours". /snark

You bought the hardware ... everything else is simply licensed to you for a limited period of time during which you are subject to the whims of the publishers. This includes DVDs. It's ridiculous.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 04:09 AM   #16
Old Welsh Guy

Well all I can say is that this would ENCOURAGE me to play ripped media rather than discourage. The new machine is likely to be a media centre, some media centre that will be if I can't play dvd's through it LOL.

Microsoft have seriously got this wrong hanevn't they .

I was already under pressure from friends to dump microshaft and go with linux, looking more and more like a viable option

Old 24th September 2007, 02:42 PM   #17
Ribosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Welsh Guy View Post
It has annoyed me as I inted using the machine to view stuff online and at the desk. WHY can't I watch a LEGALLY bought DVD on my LEGALLY bought Operating sytem on my LEGALLY BOUGHT computer?

Talk about human rights eh LOL
Because you didn't legally buy your operating system. Take a look at your EULA, all you did was pay for the right to use it.

You might want to check out fedoraproject.org and pclinuxos.com where you can download a complete operating system, burn it to DVD and install it on your computer.

Ribosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:02 PM   #18
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephmcinnes View Post
Can I just say this one more time: Vista sucks! I am so tired of getting spammed, getting asked “are you sure…” for everything and getting nagged for constant updates. And mostly I am tired of hearing my employees cry out from their desks in frustration dealing with this godforsaken operating system. The last thing I want to do is reinvest in another office application, so I wonder where can I find some kind of solution without plunking down another couple thousand dollars?
You could try running linux - visit ubuntu dot com, I run both our server & our laptops on it. It's free.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:04 PM   #19
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Ah - I others have already beaten me to it.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote