Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd March 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
hrdatamanager

Default Do I Really Need A New Computer?

With most businesses suffering the results of these difficult economic times, for most it is not an ideal time to ask - "Do I Need a New Computer?".

Unfortunately, many people assume as their computer starts working slower and not performing to expected standards that a New Computer is needed. The truth is that if your computer is only a few years old, it probably only needs a tune up. A tune up can be performed for a fraction of the price of a new computer.

Over time computers get "gunked up" with temporary files, spyware, and fragmented files that make the computer slow down nearly to a grinding halt. A computer tune-up will defragment files, remove Adware/Spyware and any virus infections. It will also remove old temporary files that are no longer needed and clean/optimize the registry. More often than not, a computer that is a few years old will run like new again after having this maintenance performed.

People usually don't think twice about having maintenance performed on their car, but give no thought to computer maintenance. Think of the improved efficiency that can be acheived by having a properly working computer.

Most Tech Savvy people are capable of doing a tune-up themselves. If you do end up having to take it into the local PC shop, it shouldn't cost too much more than a hundred dollars to get things running smooth again.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:01 PM   #2
banzaibert

I don't think you need a new computer. If it becomes really slow, clean your files, delete some of it or you can save it in a USB or hard drive then run anti virus/spyware. I always do maintenance once a week. You only need new computer when you're dealing with high graphics.

banzaibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 06:45 AM   #3
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Ah u just reminded me to defrag my computer.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 02:45 PM   #4
customtollfree

Or instead of buying a new computer, you might want to upgrade the components like RAM, processor, or even your video card.

customtollfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 07:41 AM   #5
bizcard

Have you heard of tuneup utilities? Its really a nice software that cleans, defrags, speed up and even customize your computer. Its your one click maintenance program.

bizcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 01:07 AM   #6
uyytuyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by customtollfree View Post
Or instead of buying a new computer, you might want to upgrade the components like RAM, processor, or even your video card.
This is a good choice, after doing so, your computer will run faster.

uyytuyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 11:48 PM   #7
hrdatamanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcard View Post
Have you heard of tuneup utilities? Its really a nice software that cleans, defrags, speed up and even customize your computer. Its your one click maintenance program.
Thanks for your reply.

If only one tool really did it all. At least in my experience, a computer technician will have several Utilites along with multiple Anti-Spyware / Malware cleaners because each one seems to have their strong point, but none find everything.

This is why I believe most Tech Savvy people can do it themselves, but there are a huge number of people that would rather have someone do it for them.

Old 1st May 2009, 11:49 AM   #8
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Once a year or so, I just reformat and erase the hard drive completely, remount the operating system, install the applications I still need, and restore my documents from backup. It keeps the system running fast and forces me to decide if I really, really need some of these applications that are contributing to slowness. On the last occasion, I dumped MS Office altogether in favor of Open Office and Google Docs. I've been using the same PC for 6 years.

Last edited by 4ndr3w; 1st May 2009 at 11:51 AM.
4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 02:54 PM   #9
kendvp

With all the stuff I want, I would need a new computer. I can only go so far with upgrading, being that I have a mid tower. I need a full tower to make room for the new video cards that are out, and to make room for a cooling system. I'd like to have about a 27" monitor with a 2gb memory video card, and high resolution settings. That way I could fit a ton of stuff on the screen. But for now I will just settle with what I have. Mine is about 3 1/2 years old and it's not worth it to put any upgrades into it, better to just wait and buy a new one.

But I agree with the maintenance part, you should do a complete reformat at least every two years to keep your computer up to speed. Defraging and getting rid of old programs helps too, but that will never help as much as a complete reformat would.

kendvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 07:35 PM   #10
hrdatamanager

I actually think the last couple of posters are correct. There is nothing like wiping a system clean and starting from scratch to make it run like new. Though people who are tech savvy can do this (usually without losing data), there are many out there who are at more of a beginner level. I can't believe how many times I hear someone say they are about to junk their computer (that is only a year or two old) and buy a new one because it is running so slow.

I believe periodic tune-ups as I mentioned in the original post are a good idea, but there is definitely a time to JUST WIPE IT!