Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th April 2010, 06:31 AM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Default 7 Deadly Search Engine Sins

1: Lack of Planning

Did you know that Search Engine Optimisation should come before you build your web site? You’ve probably heard about ‘Keywords’, ‘Description’ and ‘Title’. These can all be edited after a site has gone live (not ideal), but what about the file structure and hosting? Did you know that even your file and folder names should include search engine keywords, or that your choice of hosting, is part of your SEO strategy? What about content writing? This should happen before your web site is built and content is key for search engine optimisation.

2: Using the same ‘Description’ ‘Title’ and ‘Keywords’ on each page.

These elements of a web page, should be unique, and completely relevant to the corresponding page.

3: Too much content of differing subjects

Keeping content to a subject focused 250 words limit, on search engine landing pages is key. If you don’t you could be missing a golden search marketing opportunity.

4: Multi-Lingual content on the same page

Multi-Lingual web sites should have separate web pages for each language. ‘Keywords’, ‘Description’ and ‘Title’ should also be in that one chosen language.
This is also best-practice content strategy, as humans get just as confused as search engines.

5: Lack of Search Engine Site Map

Search Engines thrive on Site Maps. These specially programmed files, help search engines such as Google, crawl and index your site effectively. Even the smallest web site can benefit from a Search Engine Site Map.

6: Spamming the Search Engine

There are number of ways that businesses spam search engines. Over-use of search engine ‘keywords’ and ‘Keyphrases’ in a page, as well as having excessive numbers of web sites all with the same web content, can get you banned from a search engine. The key is to get the right balance, which takes expertise, practice and planning.

7: Third-Party Links without Search Engine Optimisation.

Employing links from third-party sites to yours, that are not search engine optimised, will be ineffective. Whether this is from social networking sites, forums, blogs or an affiliate web site, its important to leverage your 'keywords' and 'key phrases' as links back to relevant landing pages on your web site.

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th May 2010, 06:03 AM   #2
ryananderson08

Well some people add so much spam in meta tags. Though it is told by Matt Cuts as well that meta tags are just for providing the basic information of a website to search engine that what the webpage is all about. He also stated that google thoroughly ignore keyword meta tag. That most people add too much keywords in this particular tag.

ryananderson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 09:22 AM   #3
SmallBizShift

This is not a bad list, but I really have to quibble with the 250 word limit on content, because I think that's a big mistake. In my experience search engines love very long articles, particularly if they are well-structured (with headlines, bullets, and the like).

It's also a lot easier to make something useful when you write a longer article, which makes it much easier to attract links.

Old 7th May 2010, 10:16 PM   #4
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallBizShift View Post
This is not a bad list, but I really have to quibble with the 250 word limit on content, because I think that's a big mistake. In my experience search engines love very long articles, particularly if they are well-structured (with headlines, bullets, and the like).

It's also a lot easier to make something useful when you write a longer article, which makes it much easier to attract links.
I can agree with you here, I think long articles, with very good content are a key step for maintaining a great blog.

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 06:15 PM   #5
tomlillon

I'm with everybody on the word limit thing.

The way I've always looked at it, if you let your site be itself (of course, taking into account that you do have to take steps to present your work to Google, et al), and then market it basically as what it is, you can't help but to do well in those ways, if you put in the time and energy.

If you take yourself out of your comfort zone as you create the content of the site, then you will have to market outside your comfort zone as well. Why force it when you can just take advantage of the vision you have for your site?

tomlillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 02:14 PM   #6
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Default 7 Deadly Search Engine Sins

Quality highlighted Sins of Search Engine Optimization but i would like to highlight the following few more ideas which consider to be bad search engine technique.

1- Hidden Links
2- Keywords Stuffing
3- Link Building with the Classifieds, & Black Listed sites.

Old 26th May 2010, 04:37 PM   #7
zharlene

I believe a good focus should be on site content. Some people focus too much on external links and forget about the value of a relevant, credible website. In most cases, a site with good functionality and purpose will do well in the SERPs because visitors will (well, hopefully) tell others about your site. It's always nice to have a good balance of both internal and external SEO.

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 07:11 AM   #8
ricky028

These are really some must avoid things that you must consider.
Using the same ‘Description’ ‘Title’ and ‘Keywords’ on each page:: I think it is the worst thing you can do to your site.

Old 28th May 2010, 12:00 PM   #9
crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySmallBiz View Post
1: Lack of Planning
7: Third-Party Links without Search Engine Optimisation.

Employing links from third-party sites to yours, that are not search engine optimised, will be ineffective. Whether this is from social networking sites, forums, blogs or an affiliate web site, its important to leverage your 'keywords' and 'key phrases' as links back to relevant landing pages on your web site.
In point 7 you refer to "leverage of keywords". I don't understand what this means.

crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:30 AM   #10
naturalbeauty

Thanks for the list, at least we already know the things that we need to avoid.