Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd March 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
VickiCJ

Default Small Catalog/Magazine Direct Mail

Hello! I have published a few 32-page magazines/catalogs, and have direct mailed them to the same households in my area. I have been in advertising sales for 20 years but was new to the publishing/direct mail business, so relied on my printer to handle the mail list and mailing. My problem is that with each mailing, the postage has run anywhere from .22 per up to .49 per magazine. My printer tells me that there is no way to actually estimate the postage on my product, and I only find out the postage amounts about a week prior to mailing. What I do is create a magazine with a theme, and sell advertising space to merchants who fit with the content (i.e. spring magazine = landscape, lawn advertisers, patio/fence advertisers, etc.); in order for me to be able to figure the amount that I'm going to charge for the advertising space, it's extremely important to know the cost of the postage - the last mailing that ended up at .49 per really ate my lunch (profit)! Any advice/direction that you can offer in this regard would be greatly appreciated! Also, FYI, I always mail 25,000 of these, they are 32 pages on high gloss paperstock, so there is no way that I could address them myself :-)

Thank you!

VickiCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:12 PM   #2
JohnFenton

In order to calculate exact postage you need know 5 things.
  1. The list of names that you will be mailing to.
  2. Where you will be mailing from.
  3. The dimensions of the mail piece.
  4. The weight of the mail piece.
  5. The automation compatibility of the piece.

Without those things you can't get an "exact" amount. However .22 - .49 is a huge variance. You should be able to get a much better ball park estimate than that.

You can also help control your costs based on how you target your list. We should be able to formulate a much better way for you to estimate the costs.

I think my first question is:

What was different between the .22 mailing and the .49?

JohnFenton is offline   Reply With Quote