Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th March 2009, 12:03 AM   #1
JCWHong

Default Cost-Effecting Mailing For Postcards?

Hey everyone,

I got a postcard designed for me, and got 5000 of them created for me.

Now I need to mail them out to potential clients -- what is the most cost-effective way to get them sent out?

Justin

JCWHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th March 2009, 01:48 PM   #2
chesa7

I don't have an answer to your question, but rather another question -- what is the effectiveness of mailing post cards and can it be measured?

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
JCWHong

The purpose of my postcards is simply to try and get the reader to call a toll-free number to a receive a free report that I put together.

For those people that call my number, they are "warmer" leads because they at least seem slightly interested in the topic of business.

The effectiveness of the postcards can be measured -- let's say, I send out 100 of them, and 5 people call my number. That means that the mailing had a 5% response rate.

Justin

JCWHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Angelp

Hello Justin,

What size is your postcard? The reason I ask is because if it is 4X6 you can mail them through the good old USPS at $.27 a piece. Not a bad price for a guaranteed delivery.

The more important question in your mind should be who you are sending them to? Do you have a mailing list which is representative of your target/ideal customer? The quality of your mailing list is far more important than how much you spend on the delivery of your post cards.

Also, are you planning 1 large mailing of 5,000 peices or are you going to launch multiple mailings. It has been proven that multiple mailings (usually 3 or more) are far more effective than 1 large mailing. The reason being is you start to brand your business and become trusted over time as well as keep your product/service fresh in the minds of your "traget consumer".

Anyway, I know this is more than what you were asking for but I thought I would throw in a few extras. To answer your question, the USPS is probably going to be your best option. I hope this helps.

Angelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
terra_cotta

Maybe it would be best to get a postage meter? Commercial postcards are not usually the same weight as the ones you send home from vacation, so you're probably going to waste money on extra postage so you can get them out there.

I use the digital meter from Stamps.com, which lets you print the postage from your office printer, for the shipping part of my craft sales business. You'd just need an intern or bored kid to apply the postage to all of those cards.

terra_cotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 02:55 AM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Our experience with postcards has been that mail is the best choice. However, I also wanted to comments on your expectations. I know what you said was just an example (send out 100 and get 5 calls = 5%). Typically unsolicited mail could do well at about 1/2 of 1%, so 100 cards may not even get a call.

Start small and test, test, test. Do you have a website to go with the mailout?? That is, can people go online to find out more?? I mention that because a lot of people are not willing to call and risk having to talk to a high pressure sales person (not saying that's you... just that it's what people expect). Having a website to direct people to will increase your response because they can do it on their time. Be sure you have a mailing list and autoresponder series to attract and hold them. Helps a lot in generating and cultivating new business.

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Samuel Craig

Why would you have them printed and delivered to you if you were not going to send them out yourself????

In future: if you are going to send out 5,000 cards you can choose from an number of online services like directmail.com (not me) they will do the job from start to finish for about the same cost. GotPrint.com is another example.

Do you have a proven mailing list?

If you need other planning or strategic advice give me a PM.

Samuel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Dao Jones

The most cost effective means is to hire a professional direct mail company and NOT do it yourself. If you're going to mail 5000 pieces then that company can get the printing done cheaper, the mail sent cheaper and it will look professional and be done like it should. You can't do any of that. The only way you should mail yourself is if you can't afford to do more than a few hundred or so.

edited for grammar

Dao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 10:54 AM   #9
CRWGraphics

The most cost-effective results for mailing postcards is through multi-channel marketing and personalizing your postcards. By using variable data printing to personalize your postcards to each individual you are targeting, it increases the chances of response. You can also use multi-channel marketing and follow that postcard up with an email or personalized URL (PURL) that also can increase the response rates. Many clients see a much higher response rate when doing their direct mail marketing this way. It helps to maximize your marketing dollars being spent and you reach your potential customer in more ways than one.

Thanks,
Kelly

CRWGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:33 AM   #10
Lou

(PURL)?

Lou is offline   Reply With Quote