Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th December 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
bell12

Default Product MADE IN CHINA

Hi everyone, So i am starting a business and here is my dilemma

I have tried manufacturing my product(gas pipe) here in Canada, but unfortunatly nobody here has the machine needed for manufacturing what i want. And the machine costs ALOT of money which I cannot throw into the budget right now. I have been speaking with a manufacturing company in china for 8 months now who specializes in this pipe and they have been making it for 25 years. They have been very honest to me and have invited me for a visit and the pricing is really good and they have been fair to me so far. I used to work with similar pipe for 3 years so i know how to compare it, And i can say that the product is VERY good and i stand behind it 100 percent, as i have gotten a free sample from them and compared myself. They even showed me some tests they did on a sample of pipe made in america and theres was shown to have a better quality!

Here is more of my concern:

I can save companies who use this product around $50+ each time they purchase and i can still make a hefty profit. I stand behind the product becuase i know it is good, ALSO there is some strict approval proccessos and follow ups for quality which goes into this. So QUALITY is not the problem here, atleast for me it is not. I will have a 2-5 million dollar product insurance policy as well... all my competitors products are made in USA, BUT i think mine is better then the usa type. Also a type of pipe which is different but used for the same application, alot of it is imported from taiwan/china anyhow and people in the field use it.

What i want to know is your thoughts about those skeptics who complain about MADE IN CHINA and things like this, and if anyone here has dealt with these types of issues? How to brand properly and market MADE IN CHINA products? I already have clients interested and none of them have asked me where it was made, but i dont want to hide this fact either as i have nothing to hide. but i dont know if i should bring it up if its not mentioned? thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited by bell12; 28th December 2011 at 10:24 PM.
bell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th December 2011, 09:16 PM   #2
bell12

i know its a long read but come on guys someone must have some kind of input on this.

Old 28th December 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
babeenivn

In fact , many products come from china have bad quality ,fake famous brand name , copy design , toxic etc...
And i think many people hate everything Made in china is normal

babeenivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Hi bell12, welcome aboard

First off realize it can take a day or two for others to visit and share their thoughts regarding any post. Additionally it is the week between christmas and new years and many/most just are not around this week - especially during the evening. Give it some time for others to respond.

My two cents is can you let your potential customers try/test your product at no cost? At one point I sold some tooling that customers repurchased regularly. Getting them to change to my product wasn't easy - even with lower costs and equal or better quality - but when I got them to switch it was well worth it because of the long term value of the customer. The only way I was able to do so was to give them some of the tooling for free to try so they were convinced the quality was above par. Let them test it themselves. A lesson I learned - usually people associate lower cost with lower quality. It can be tough to sell low cost high quality because of people's perceptions and the contradiction.

I think overcoming the made in china objection can be difficult with some and not so much with others. Be prepared how you are going to respond to those who bring it up and I wouldn't bring it up if not necessary. My personal concern would be consistency. I've dealt with purchasing and there can be lack of controls and consistency with products from China based on my experiences. Will every unit received be of the same quality you received and they tested as a sample, or will the consistency be hit or miss.

Old 29th December 2011, 12:02 AM   #5
bell12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hi bell12, welcome aboard

First off realize it can take a day or two for others to visit and share their thoughts regarding any post. Additionally it is the week between christmas and new years and many/most just are not around this week - especially during the evening. Give it some time for others to respond.

My two cents is can you let your potential customers try/test your product at no cost? At one point I sold some tooling that customers repurchased regularly. Getting them to change to my product wasn't easy - even with lower costs and equal or better quality - but when I got them to switch it was well worth it because of the long term value of the customer. The only way I was able to do so was to give them some of the tooling for free to try so they were convinced the quality was above par. Let them test it themselves. A lesson I learned - usually people associate lower cost with lower quality. It can be tough to sell low cost high quality because of people's perceptions and the contradiction.

I think overcoming the made in china objection can be difficult with some and not so much with others. Be prepared how you are going to respond to those who bring it up and I wouldn't bring it up if not necessary. My personal concern would be consistency. I've dealt with purchasing and there can be lack of controls and consistency with products from China based on my experiences. Will every unit received be of the same quality you received and they tested as a sample, or will the consistency be hit or miss.
Hi Logan, thank you for your response...
Well my product is on the expensive side so it wouldnt really be realistic to give a free sample they could use...I was thinking along the lines of a small free sample with a fitting so they can see how it works..But maybe i will give them a larger sample. But the product is the exact same pipe that is manufactured in the states, but to be really honest it even has better features and will have more better features which we are currently working on. As for consistency, like i said in my post this is a STRICT approval process, which after gets checked every 2-3 months in between. Also they are willing to supply product insurance liability, which believe me from china not alot do. I have read all of there documentation and they even sent me a free expensive sample. And havei nvited me to see the factory and the procedures..Anyhow I KNOW THE PRODUCT IS good, its just making the consumer believe that it is good in the end. Sample is definitely the only way for them to try it so i agree with you there and i might implement this. And as for the earlier post by the other member, you would be surprised at what is made in china...Yes some parts might be made in the usa/canada but a whole component isnt, IM talkign about your fridges,stoves,barbecues, GAS PIPES, pretty much everything. This is another reason for the thread. People bash alot but really some good thigns do come out of these countries, you just need to look.

Anyhow i have tried to manufactur in my country. USA would make no sense for me to make it there, so at the moment i have to stick with China, but in all honestly i stand behind my product 100 percent which i think is what will make it succeed. Its funyn all my potentail clients , none of them asked these questions, they only cared about the price.

Here is a good read though and might shock you who invented the first gas pipeline distribution system...

http://www.naturalgas.org/overview/history.asp

(third paragraph)

Last edited by bell12; 29th December 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:08 AM   #6
daveb1
VIP Contributor

Hi Bell,

Is there any way that you can put a money back guarantee on the piping. Along with free samples another way to convince people to try new products is to offer a money back 100% satisfaction guarantee. I do not think the Made From China stigma will impact you too much and even you said your customers really do not ask. I would just run your business as safely and honestly as you can and not worry about where your supplies come from. It sounds like you have done all the appropriate homework and covered all your bases so everything should work out. Best of luck to you!

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 04:56 PM   #7
bell12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Hi Bell,

Is there any way that you can put a money back guarantee on the piping. Along with free samples another way to convince people to try new products is to offer a money back 100% satisfaction guarantee. I do not think the Made From China stigma will impact you too much and even you said your customers really do not ask. I would just run your business as safely and honestly as you can and not worry about where your supplies come from. It sounds like you have done all the appropriate homework and covered all your bases so everything should work out. Best of luck to you!

Hey dave thank you for your reply...Yes definitely i will have a one year or maybe even unlimited warranty i am thinking...I Dont know about a money back satisfaction guarantee. But for sure i will have a warranty if the product shows to be defective. I appreciate your reply and i think so that yes i have covered my basis and i know i shall be somewhat successful. Good advice dave thank you. Anyone else with an opinion im waiting to hear it

Old 14th February 2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Bishop101

Send a message via MSN to Bishop101 Send a message via Skype™ to Bishop101
Default Product Made in China

Hi Bell,

My suggestion is to do what everyone else who manufactures or sources products from China does - find a partner/company who has a presence in China that can reduce your risk.

There are plenty of legitimate companies/factories in China, and there are plenty of dodgy ones as well. And unfortunately even the legitimate factories tend to get lazy when their customers take their eyes off of what is going on.

I have been living and working in China for nine years now, and I deal with this every day.

If you do your homework, have proper procedures in place, and most importantly, have a good relationship with your China supplier (or with whomever you choose to support you in China), then you should have no problem.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have about this...

My two cents,

Jeff Bishop

Bishop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 01:39 PM   #9
EricB
VIP Contributor

If you can get a product of better quality for cheaper, then in my opinion it doesn't matter where it comes from. But as a lot of people said, make sure the quality doesn't go down with time. I don't usually check where the things I buy are made from. I rely on reviews of that product, and I think if you have customers who give you good reviews that holds a lot more weight than where your product is made.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 07:57 AM   #10
Cindy16

I understand where are you coming from Bell. There are many suspicious shops in China.. I can't blame you for feeling uncertain now.. However, i would suggest to consider the ff before you place your order:

1. Make sure that there is a money-back on the piping as what Daveb said.

2. Do not pay using wired payment. It is still safe to pay through Paypal.

3. Research about the reputation of the site.

4. Read customer reviews and weight things smartly before you decide whether or not the site is fraudulent or not.

I hope that helps...

Cindy16 is offline   Reply With Quote